Taskkill .bat for Game Prep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taskkill .bat for Game Prep

Man oh man. I just boosted my BF2 ~20 FPS tonight with a quick little BAT file and 15 minutes of googling windows tasks. My rig was so smooth playing BF2 just now that I had trouble in firefights because my aim was *too* responsive.

All I did was open up windows task manager and notepad and typed:

taskkill /f /im XXXX1 /im XXXX2 ...

Where the XXXXs are replaced with the names of processes that I didn't want running during the game. Google helped me decide which were necessary and which I didn't need. Once I had the list complete, I saved it as "Prep.bat" on my desktop. Before loading BF2, I can double click the Prep file and it shuts down all the processes I listed.

I run a pretty lean machine as is, so I was very surprised by the results. I only had 8 tasks to shut down, and I think the biggest were from Windows Defender (renamed Anti-Spyware Beta). If you haven't already done this trick, I highly recommend it.

Re: Taskkill .bat for Game Prep

I've had before.bat and after.bat for months. They improve my gaming quite a bit.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Hmm, I'd like to try this. Not sure which processes to kill in game, I run a pretty lean machine to..or did.

Comment

How about a list of those process you dont have running while gaming
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          How about a list of those process you dont have running while gaming
          Agreed. Even better, find somewhere to link your .bat files, so we can try them out.

Comment

Good idea, I'd like to see how well it works. Whether you'll notice a small change or you'll be able to boost the graphics.
            sigpic

Comment

First thing is I run lean with Startup Inspector for Windows, which gives you some recommendations on which items you need and which you don't. This bat file idea is really to kill things I want on my system in normal use, but just not during the game.

The processes I killed are:
              Originally posted by prep.bat
              taskkill /f /im cvpnd.exe /im msmpeng.exe /im mspmspsv.exe /im msascui.exe /im spoolsv.exe /im lexbces.exe /im pqv2isvc.exe /im gearsec.exe
              They're basically windows defender, some print spoolers, dvd drivers, etc. You can copy that text and paste it into notepad, then save as "Prep.bat" if you want, but I suspect the processes you have on your systems will be different from mine. It's going to depend on the drivers for your hardware and what other software packages you use. For reference, my system is a P4 2.6/2.9 oc; Nvidia 6800GT; SoundBlaster Audigy ZS; 4 Gig RAM. The increases I got were all at the CPU level, since RAM obviously isn't a problem.

What I left up included system level items, virus scanning (I recently switched to AVG -- Norton was a hog), and special software for my joystick and mouse. That's it.

It's funny, I noticed now that Windows Defender won't stay down... MsMpEng.exe reloads itself as soon as I kill it. I don't see anything else in my process list that is related that would reload it.

Anyway try Startup Inspector first, and if you don't get enough of a boost then google each process shown in your task manager. It sounds painful, but really doesn't take that long.

Comment

Hmm, I've got an idea boot, I'll post a screenshot of what I have running, and if you notice anything in there that you had running, and killed those processes, then I can just copy a few or them, to make it easier. Of course exclude screenhunter, and xfire whcih I normally have running, so normally only have I believe 29 processes total at one time, and of course firefox when its open.
                Attached Files

Comment

Holy crap, 49 processes.....

I looked at setting up a gaming profile but all the google walkthroughs i found for doing this meant you had to select the gaming profile at start up which is annoying and impractical for me. Ill definitely be doing something like this in the near future.

Comment

ya jimmy, 49 processes could be hendering your gaming a bit there bud.

Comment

Well my printer gets lonely if it doesnt have 5 separate programs checking its alright....

Comment

lol, I don't believed I've had that kind of process in years...meaning no printer for years.

Comment

Originally posted by undead77
                          Hmm, I've got an idea boot, I'll post a screenshot of what I have running, and if you notice anything in there that you had running, and killed those processes, then I can just copy a few or them, to make it easier. Of course exclude screenhunter, and xfire whcih I normally have running, so normally only have I believe 29 processes total at one time, and of course firefox when its open.
                          soundman.exe --> Realtek control panel. It will load if you need it. Disable it.
                          dumeter.exe --> Watches internet bandwidth. I bet this has a field day with BF2. Kill it.
                          spoolsv.exe --> Print spooler. Kill it.
                          wmccds.exe --> Windows media player. Nuff said. Kill it.
                          mdm.exe --> Debugs internet explorer. Yet another reason to use Firefox. Kill it.

The rest looks cool.

Comment

I decided to try this out, so I made a prep.bat file and typed in:

taskkill /f /im cfmon.exe /im HPZipm12.exe /im wuauclt.exe /im MsMpEng.exe /im nvsvc32.exe /im spoolsv.exe /im avgcc.exe /im zlclient.exe

Whenever I click it, however, i get the command prompt flash and it says its shutting down all the programs, but they don't actually shut down. Did I do something wrong?

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

There's a nice little program for this called SmartClose that you can configure to close a series of processes with the click of a button.

I prefer shutting down processes manually before a gaming session though because I'm familiar with what they all are. This is a good reference to use to look up all those processes that you don't have a clue what the heck they are.

BTW... only 20 processes running when I start up BF2, including Xfire.
                              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X