Throat Mic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throat Mic

My mic died. I'm currently using a backup which is less than ergonomic. I play with a nice 5.1 speaker set and I know my squadmates hear it, so I'm going to take another crack at finding a good throat mic. A couple I'm looking at:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....it.A/id.111/.f
    http://www.throat-mic.com/product_ht2.htm

The problem is these are designed for radios, which means the pin is too long for standard PC mic and for all I know the signal is different. I'll have to mod it. Sounds fun, no?

Anyone have a good throat mic, or know enough about audio signals to advise me how to mod one of these to work with a PC?

Re: Throat Mic

Is that going to make you sound like stephan hawking?

Comment

If by that you mean smarter, probably not. :row__680:

Comment

no I said sound.

It just I've never heard the term "throat mic" before, so its really odd to me, lol.

Comment

what the hell is a throat mic

Comment

It's a microphone that goes around your neck and picks up the audio vibrations from your throat instead of what comes out of your mouth. They are meant to be used in areas with high ambient noise. I know WW2 tank crews used them, no idea if the modern military still does.
            |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

For those wondering, this is what a throat mic looks like:

I have used throat mics a couple of times during the execution of warrants and other similar situations. I found them uncomfortable.

I have never seen one for use with a PC, and, knowing as little as I do, without some sort of specialized adapter/driver combo I doubt one for a tactical radio could be converted. Plus, they are darn expensive!

If you are able to find one, let me know...it'd be interesting to see. Good luck!
              LoyalGuard

Comment

I didn't even know there was such a thing.

This looks like 1) he's into S&M or 2) been assimilated by the Borg
                |TG-1stMIP| Ransack

Comment

Yeah, I believe throat mics are still used by SWAT teams and crews like that. It allows them to communicate over the radio using only whispers, which can be handy when there's a bad guy in the next room.

Sounds like a cool project. You can probably get a cheap (as in $$) throat mic from eBay. Keep us posted.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                  [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                  Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Also, throat mics are really quiet sounding on the other end so either speak up or increase output.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

:icon_lol: uhh... guys, he posted links to TWO commercial versions, each under $40 and not looking too uncomfortable ;)

Comment

Originally posted by xRANSACKx
                        I didn't even know there was such a thing.

This looks like 1) he's into S&M or 2) been assimilated by the Borg
                        hah

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                          :icon_lol: uhh... guys, he posted links to TWO commercial versions, each under $40 and not looking too uncomfortable ;)
                          With or without the mouth ball?

Hm... I suppose the combination of mouth ball and mic wouldn't make too much sense.
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky

Hm... I suppose the combination of mouth ball and mic wouldn't make too much sense.
                            That's why it picks up audio before it leaves your mouth? It's perfect!

:P
                            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by icky

Throat Mike and mouth ball...sounds like the punch line to a joke about BJs...lol....
                              |TG-1stMIP| Ransack

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X