BF2 Performance Troubleshooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Performance Troubleshooting

I'm late to the game, but Rick_the_new_guy rightfully pointed out in another thread that I could use some help in the perormance arena. I think I'm severely limited by my current hardware, it was never meant to be a gaming machine (it is/was our family pc, off the shelf from a superstore) and I've already dropped about $250 on it in upgrades just to play BF2 so I'm not crazy about further upgrades...but, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

-ASUS PTGD1-LA
    -P4 520 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz Front side bus, Socket 775 (Grantsdale)
    -1 GB PC3200 Type 184 pin DDR SDRAM (2 sticks of 256MB (off the shelf), 1 stick of 512MB (upgrade)
    -160 GB SATA 7200 rpm
    -300 watt maximum output PSU (Yes, I know...this is way too low!)
    -Microstar ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 (a very cheap card, but the only one I could afford here in Iceland - BTW, min recommended PSU is 350w!)
    -Onboard Realtek ALC880 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

I check for new drivers weekly, so everything is fresh from BIOS to Vid Card and in between. I have also eliminated my processes to a lean 17 when running the game. My only user processes are explore.exe and taskmgr.exe and the rest are all services (I used the Black Viper Config Guide to disable unecessary services). I have also employed several other "real" XP tweaks to make it is lean as possible while still maintaining internet and other essential functions. I do use TS and TSO but have not seen any decrease in performance when they are running vice when they are not. I clear my bf2 mods/cache and defrag weekly. I also delete/clean all obsolete drivers.

In order to get 40-50 FPS during routine gameplay and ~30 FPS during intense action on a full 64-person server, here are my BF2 settings:

1024x768 70hz (I tried 800x600 w/ no noticable improvement)
    Terrain: Low
    Effects: Low
    Geometry: Low
    Texture: Low
    Lighting: Low
    Dynamic Shadows: Off
    Dynamic Light: Off
    Antialiasing: Off (It is also diabled in my Catalyst Control Center as well)
    Texture Filtering: Low
    View Distance: 75%

Audio: Software/Low - No EAX

If I set everything to Medium and View to 100% I get 25-30 FPS during routine play and 18-20 during intense action. BF2 never seemed smooth until I cranked them all down. Also remember that I rountinely ping 200-400 due to my location, so even though these settings don't help my ping, they do make gameplay smoother.

I had never really stayed up to speed on PC specs since 1998. I only got re-familiarized after playing BF2. But, now that I'm back in the swing, I like it. I plan on building a custom gaming machine this summer (~$1,500), so I'm not really interested in dropping more money in this one. But, If you can think of a cheap solution or some tweaks I'm missing, I'm all ears. Thanks!
    LoyalGuard

Re: System Specs, BF2 Settings & Performance

Originally posted by loyalguard
    But, If you can think of a cheap solution or some tweaks I'm missing, I'm all ears. Thanks!
    What are these set at (my settings) ?:

CATALYST AI: (disabled)
    VSYNC: (Always on)
    Support DXT texture formats: (on)
    Enable Geometry Instancing: (on)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Hey Dick-

Here are my current settigs:

CATALYST AI: (standard)
      VSYNC: (off, unless application specifies)
      Enable Geometry Instancing: (this option is grayed out)

Do you recommend changing to how you posted them or otherwise differently?

On a side note, the Catalyst Control Center always runs two instances of CLI.exe on my computer? Do I leave these running? They seem to take a lot of resources.

Thanks for the help!
      LoyalGuard

Comment

I'm late to the game, but Rick_the_new_guy rightfully pointed out in another thread that I could use some help in the perormance arena. I think I'm severely limited by my current hardware, it was never meant to be a gaming machine (it is/was our family pc, off the shelf from a superstore) and I've already dropped about $250 on it in upgrades just to play BF2 so I'm not crazy about further upgrades...but, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

-ASUS PTGD1-LA
        -P4 520 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz Front side bus, Socket 775 (Grantsdale)
        -1 GB PC3200 Type 184 pin DDR SDRAM (2 sticks of 256MB (off the shelf), 1 stick of 512MB (upgrade)
        -160 GB SATA 7200 rpm
        -300 watt maximum output PSU (Yes, I know...this is way too low!)
        -Microstar ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 (a very cheap card, but the only one I could afford here in Iceland - BTW, min recommended PSU is 350w!)
        -Onboard Realtek ALC880 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

I check for new drivers weekly, so everything is fresh from BIOS to Vid Card and in between. I have also eliminated my processes to a lean 17 when running the game. My only user processes are explore.exe and taskmgr.exe and the rest are all services (I used the Black Viper Config Guide to disable unecessary services). I have also employed several other "real" XP tweaks to make it is lean as possible while still maintaining internet and other essential functions. I do use TS and TSO but have not seen any decrease in performance when they are running vice when they are not. I clear my bf2 mods/cache and defrag weekly. I also delete/clean all obsolete drivers.

In order to get 40-50 FPS during routine gameplay and ~30 FPS during intense action on a full 64-person server, here are my BF2 settings:

1024x768 70hz (I tried 800x600 w/ no noticable improvement)
        Effects: Low
        Geometry: Low
        Texture: Low
        Dynamic Light: Off
        Antialiasing: Off (It is also diabled in my Catalyst Control Center as well)
        Texture Filtering: Low
        View Distance: 75%

Audio: Software/Low - No EAX

If I set everything to Medium and View to 100% I get 25-30 FPS during routine play and 18-20 during intense action. BF2 never seemed smooth until I cranked them all down. Also remember that I rountinely ping 200-400 due to my location, so even though these settings don't help my ping, they do make gameplay smoother.

I had never really stayed up to speed on PC specs since 1998. I only got re-familiarized after playing BF2. But, now that I'm back in the swing, I like it. I plan on building a custom gaming machine this summer (~$1,500), so I'm not really interested in dropping more money in this one. But, If you can think of a cheap solution or some tweaks I'm missing, I'm all ears. Thanks!
        Trust me when I say that the PSU could be a MAJOR bottleneck here, your vid card and memory want to go for it, but they just dont get the power for it that they need, upgrade to 400w or 450w and you should notice a major improvement. A good PSU of around 450w will cost around 100-125 euro's. (x0.75 for US dollars or so).

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
        BF2142 Names:
        Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
        Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
        Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
        Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Hey Dick-

Here are my current settigs:

CATALYST AI: (standard)
          VSYNC: (off, unless application specifies)
          Enable Geometry Instancing: (this option is grayed out)

Do you recommend changing to how you posted them or otherwise differently?

On a side note, the Catalyst Control Center always runs two instances of CLI.exe on my computer? Do I leave these running? They seem to take a lot of resources.

Thanks for the help!
          Try disabling catalyst AI. I have a different card (x800pro), so some options might not appear on the x1600. If I enable catalyst AI, my performance goes down...

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Re: BF2 Performance Troubleshooting

Here, your very own thread :)
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

That memory would be the second thing to look at. Bigger sticks are faster than smaller sticks, and memory is pretty cheap these days.

Comment

Perry - Thank you for the thread!

Thierry - I agree. I don't know much, but from everything I've read in this forum and about 3D vid cards in general, a 300w PSU is far too low. There seem to be some indications that vid cards may even underclock if they don't get the power they need. Anyone have a good util for seeing if my card is getting enough juice? I do have two concerns about getting a new power supply though:

1) HP is my OEM so I'm concerned about compatability. HP is great if you want a quality machine out of the box and decent support but I've had problems with upgrades. Anyone have any experience replacing a OEM HP power supply?

2) I'm still afraid my vid card might be too weak. I really knew nothing about them until recently. I bought BF2, didn't know that my onboard stuff wouldn't work, so a friend got me this one. From the reviews I've read post hoc - I could have gotten more for my money.

But, I will strongly consider a new PSU because I think this might be my next/best option (and it would do no good to get a new vid card w/o the proper wattage).

Dick- I will disable AI and see how things go on Tac Mod tonight. Should I leave CLI.exe running while I play? Thanks for the insight.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice!
                LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                  That memory would be the second thing to look at. Bigger sticks are faster than smaller sticks, and memory is pretty cheap these days.
                  That was one of my first thoughts as well. I can get another 512 for about $60 bucks here and I can always use it in my new machine later. Thanks!
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

.....-Microstar ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 (a very cheap card, but the only one I could afford here in Iceland - BTW, min recommended PSU is 350w!)
                    My 2 cents.

That might be one of your problems. Keep in mind that no PSU is 100% efficient, they are all around 70%. One more thing I also noticed is newer generation video cards are all "Amp" monsters, case in point, my video card requires 24Amp for the 12V rail. So if you are getting a new PSU, make sure the Watt & Amp are enough to feed all the components, then at least you can take the power issue out of the question.
                    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

PSU is it, I think. The x1600 is a good card, but only if you've got the resources to get it running at full potential.

Comment

Wow, it shows how behind the times I am. When I (used) to think about PC specs, it was always: CPU, RAM, Hard Drive. What the hell is a PSU? Now it's still the big three, but it is also PSU, vid , and
                        sound card too! Thanks guys!
                        LoyalGuard

Comment

PSU, Power Supply Unit, provides the eletrical power for your computer :P

And your vid card isnt all that bad, I'd focus on PSU > RAM > Sound > Vid and in that order.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                          BF2142 Names:
                          Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                          Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                          Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                          Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Well if you've got $1500 to spend on a new machine let us know and we'll help you out.

Comment

Loyal, all your specs, except for memory, are slightly better than mine. I have a 5 year old Dell:

P4 2.4Ghz 533mhz fsb
                              1.5GB Ram PC2700
                              2 x 80GB HD (I think they might both run at 5400rpm)
                              250Watt PSU
                              Geforce 6600GT 128MB Ram
                              Audigy 4 (non-pro)

However, I run bf2 with the following specs and get between 25-45fps during gameplay:
                              1280x1024
                              Effects: medium
                              Geometry: medium
                              Texture: medium
                              Dynamic Light: low
                              Antialiasing: 2x
                              Texture Filtering: medium
                              View Distance: 100%

So, somehow I run with a higher resolution, AA, and medium on some settings while having worse hardware specs than you. So, something must be wrong. Your hardware isn't being used optimally by the game (not that it's likely mine is either).

By the way, I also haven't done any tweaking. That is, I haven't defragged the drive in over a year. I haven't reformatted and reinstalled xp ever. I have somewhere around 27 processes running in the background while I play bf2.
                              Last edited by sordavie; 06-08-2006, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X