Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TacMod will not work when using BF2 on D Drive -- Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacMod will not work when using BF2 on D Drive -- Help!

After switching my main drive from C to D and reinstalling BF2 on D, I cannot get TacMod to work on my D drive. Is this a known issue? I notice that TacMod does not give me an opportunity to select WHERE to install itself -- it auto-installs to D:/programs/mods.

Note that I have NOT had any other install problems on D drive -- all patches, and the AF and EU additions work on my new D drive.

Any clues how to overcome this?

E-Male
    sigpic

Re: TacMod will not work when using BF2 on D Drive -- Help!

BF2 is on D:\ for me.. no problemo. What do you mean that you can't get it to work? Is D:\programs\mods actually the full path that it is trying to install to?
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

Full path is d:/programs/mods/tacitcal-mod.

Bf2 will crash before it loads any tacmod map.

E-Male
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male
        Full path is d:/programs/mods/tacitcal-mod.

Bf2 will crash before it loads any tacmod map.

E-Male
        That's most likely your problem. It should read something like....

H:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\tactical-mod

Did you reinstall everything after you changed drives?

Did you uninstall everything first?

Did you just copy folders or did you uninstall/install?
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for taking the time ...

Did you reinstall everything after you changed drives?

-- I believe so (all else appears to work)

Did you uninstall everything first?

_- indeed, I reformated the drive ...

Did you just copy folders or did you uninstall/install?

-- Uninstall, install.

To repeat, the problem is that TACMOD will only install to d:/mods/..., NOT to D:/progs/ea games/..., AND it does not give me the option of changing the target install location. I have also tried running the program from the correct subdirectory, but this has no effect on where it then installs. I did not run into this problem when installing TacMod on my c drive.

The problem remains (but thank you for the suggestions..)

E-Male
          sigpic

Comment

The installer is just meant to make things easier right? Couldn't one just copy the contents of the installer (even if it installed in some random folder) into BF2/mods/TacMod (or whatever the actual name of the directory is) and still have it work? You wouldn't be able to properlly uninstall it through the control panel, nor would you be able to update just by running the installer for the new version... but if you're desperate for TacMod action...
            AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

Sounds like your registry key for the BF2 home folder got messed up. That's what the installer looks at to figure out where to put the tactical-mod folder. In your registry, check out the InstallDir key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2. It should point to your BF2 home folder, the one with BF2.exe, which is probably something like D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2. Based on your report, it sounds like the value of that key is just D: right now.

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                \Battlefield 2\mods\tactical-mod
                To fix the problem, you should be able to manually copy the folder to the proper location. First find your Battlefield 2 install directory. Go into the mods directory. Then copy the tactical-mod folder from where-ever it installed into the mods directory. You'll want the folder structure to look like that above.

I have a feeling though that some of the map packs could be in the wrong location. If you go to \Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\levels do you see the custom map packs? I'm guessing if you have both boosters and all three map packs for the mod, then you should have at least 31 maps.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks again!

Now I see what the SOURCE of the problem must be. Somehow, when I install anew on D drive, BF2 install part of itself on D:/program files, without using a subdirectory (my error, I assume), while EA games downloader installed boaster packs over in D:/program files/EA Games/Bf2/... and some other packs installed at D:/mods. Thus I have bits of BF2 scattered over three distinct subdirectories under D.

And yes, the regedit shows bf2.exe is at d:/program files/bf2.exe

What a mess.

Would I be correct in assuming the best way to fix this would be to reinstall ALL of bf2 from the ground up?

E-Male
                  sigpic

Comment

Would I be correct in assuming the best way to fix this would be to reinstall ALL of bf2 from the ground up?
                    If you don't mind spending the time, that's probably what I would do. There should be a link to a guide somewhere around here that tells you how to thoroughly uninstall BF2. I think it involves some manual registry cleaning and maybe some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtDuke
                      If you don't mind spending the time, that's probably what I would do. There should be a link to a guide somewhere around here that tells you how to thoroughly uninstall BF2. I think it involves some manual registry cleaning and maybe some other stuff.

Thanks Duke -- I will uninstall, clean the registry (with cc cleaner), and reinstall -- I have gone to great efforts to keep my new D Drive very clean, and was "somewhat miffed" as the Brits might say, to discover the mess of BF2 files directly under D:/program files/ this morning.

Will take a look for the thread on uninstalling as well.

Will also report back and let you know the results of all this here.

E-Male
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, I have reinstalled BF2 from the ground up on D Drive -- everything works -- all maps and boaster packs that I usually play, BUT TacMod still fails.

I tried all the above suggestions, including finally simply copying the entire tactical-mod directory from the working copy on C drive -- to no avail. Regardless of how TacMod is installed on D, the result is the same.

Here is what is happening on the problem D drive.

TacMod sign-in screen comes in as usual, I enter the TG server 2 IP address, hit enter -- now here is where the FIRST indication of a problem appears. After this point, as the map starts to load, the screen is 'greyed-out' and there is no map picture. IN OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES this occassionally happens, requires restarting BF2, and all is fine. BUT this is not the case in TacMod. Before I get to the appearance of the JOIN button, BF2 crashes and I am back at my desktop screen.

NOTE: I have tried adjusting the screen resolution to normal, ensuring that this is not due to any problems with the CUSTOM video settings. The problem remained.

I could not locate anything in the registry that pertains specifically to the TACMOD patch. Not sure if this is normal or what would be normal here...

I understand that there is only so much you can do for me, and greatly appreciate the suggestions and time you have taken thus far. I will still be able to play tacMod via my C drive, BUT I really do not wish to keep C drive as it is now just to be able to play TacMod!

Hopefully, the greyed-out screen and the lack of a map picture will be the key clue as to the problem on D drive.

Bad D. Bad.

E-Male
                        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you don't have Tac Mod Map Pack 1 installed. Make sure you have the other required map packs installed as well.

Comment

Well, I have reinstalled BF2 from the ground up on D Drive -- everything works -- all maps and boaster packs that I usually play, BUT TacMod still fails.

I tried all the above suggestions, including finally simply copying the entire tactical-mod directory from the working copy on C drive -- to no avail. Regardless of how TacMod is installed on D, the result is the same.

Here is what is happening on the problem D drive.

TacMod sign-in screen comes in as usual, I enter the TG server 2 IP address, hit enter -- now here is where the FIRST indication of a problem appears. After this point, as the map starts to load, the screen is 'greyed-out' and there is no map picture. IN OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES this occassionally happens, requires restarting BF2, and all is fine. BUT this is not the case in TacMod. Before I get to the appearance of the JOIN button, BF2 crashes and I am back at my desktop screen.

NOTE: I have tried adjusting the screen resolution to normal, ensuring that this is not due to any problems with the CUSTOM video settings. The problem remained.

I could not locate anything in the registry that pertains specifically to the TACMOD patch. Not sure if this is normal or what would be normal here...

I understand that there is only so much you can do for me, and greatly appreciate the suggestions and time you have taken thus far. I will still be able to play tacMod via my C drive, BUT I really do not wish to keep C drive as it is now just to be able to play TacMod!

Hopefully, the greyed-out screen and the lack of a map picture will be the key clue as to the problem on D drive.

Bad D. Bad.

E-Male
                            Couple of questions for you.

Do you now boot off of D: ?
                            On which drive is the «My Documents» folder located ?

There is a cache (where BF2 saves some of the optimized shader info amongst other things) located in

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache

or in your case maybe

D:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache.

I have heard that some people delete the cache content to solve problems (never done it myself though).

Might be worth a try ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Bad D. Bad.
                              LOL ! Did you check map pack 1 like Duke suggested?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X