Clear All

• new computer makes me sad :(

Well I finally upgraded my computer, what I've got is:
    Pentium D 3.2 ghz @ 3.8 ghz
    Asus p5nd2-sli mb
    seagate 250 gb hd
    EVGA geforce 7900 gt
    corsair twinx pc-5400 1 gb (512 x 2)

You'de think I would be able to play bf2 on high, but when I try to play on all full settings it's ridiculously laggy for the first two minutes or so every time i start to play a map, even when it loads another map its still laggy for those first few minutes, I get around 10 fps during this. Then when the lag finally dissapears the framerate goes up to about 40-50 and i get random dips to 10 fps or so every minute or two, its driving me crazy!

I've tried using stock settings for my video card and cpu, and overclocking both (its definately not a heating issue for any of my components), and see no difference in the lag and dips in fps. Ive reinstalled windows just to be sure and reinstalled bf2 also, no luck. I end up having to turn my settings to medium/high in order to play decently, and even though im getting 70-90 fps I still get a bit of lag during the first minute or so of the game and dips every couple minutes. Could it be that my system cannot handle high settings? I doubt it though since i read that most people using 6800's and better playing on full. Can someone help me, please?!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Re: new computer makes me sad :(

I believe you need 2GB of RAM to play with everything on High. When I used to run on High, Windows would report it was using around 1.4GB of RAM. So with only 1GB of RAM you're going to be swapping (using the hard drive) alot and that is probably the source of your stuttering.

Comment

Are you sure the lag is due to your system? or connection? Did you benchmark with 3dmark or something to optimize you OC?

Personally I don't recommand setting everything to high unless you have like a really really good system.
      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

My 3dmark 06 score was about 5100, 4800ish not overclocked, and my connection's fine, my ping's in the twenties on the TG server and im not running wireless. I figured RAM would be an issue, the fact that my HD is IDE probably doesnt help either. Sometime soon I plan on picking up a WD raptor 10k drive and 2 gb more ram, well see what happens then

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Well I have the same video card as you and I run everything on high with success. Perhaps your hard drive and the ram could be the problem. I do have the Raptor and also have 2GB of ram. If only after then you do not see an increase then I have no idea what could be the problem.

Comment

I know very little about computers, but when i upped my virtual memory i got a huge increase in FPS. When you click on the processes tab in the task manager, it shows a number at the bottom. Before boosting the virtual memory, it read approximately "#/1300". Now it reads "#/3200". Im pretty sure that has something to do with ram ;)

Comment

Like Jmaker said, you need more ram. Currently your using your pagefile whitch is slower because it has to access your HD. Notice your HD Led is solid for like the first 5 minutes of loading-playing. You'll always see the HD Led being accessed but not as much as if you had more ram. Jmaker also has a faster rpm HD with quicker read-write.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

2GB is your solution since BF2 is so Ram hungry. Which is why your probably getting that stuttering at the beginning of a map. Its eating all that ram up and needs a bit more. I know because I use to play bf2 with 512mb of ram. Take note that 2142's recomended Ram is 1.5GB now. So 2GB or more will suite BF2 and 2142 best.

Comment

I play all setting on high. BF2 uses anywhere between 1.5-1.8 GB. If you have less than that, no matter how high end your system is, it will be using the swap file, hence the slowdowns. As others said, you need 2 GB.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

As everyone already said 2GB of ram will do the trick... But you might wana look into a sound card too... I noticed while playing with my gaming rig the sound dragged me down in small entenced battles...
                    Oyee

Comment

Yeah I have a sound blaster audigy, i just forgot to post it
                      And in the next week or so I will definately be picking up 2 more gb's of ram, its just that ddr-2 is soo damn expensive (for my salary at least!)

Comment

I will also say that 2 Gigs is necessary for this game. The initial lag that you experience will go away once you upgrade.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

2GB of ram FTW! :D

When I went from 1GB to 2GB, this problem went away.

Comment

Medium textures ftw!

Take a look at:

TweakGuides.com - Battlefield 2 Tweak Guide
                            |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by calvin View Post
                              Medium textures ftw!

Take a look at:

TweakGuides.com - Battlefield 2 Tweak Guide
                              lol, I follow that guide too.

Some of high settings are just unnecessary. Personally I rather have smooth/high FPS over that little bit of detail from medium to high.
                              Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X