Lag on POE Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag on POE Server

The lag on the POE server is getting to the point that the game is unplayable for me. It seems things will be OK for a few minutes and then will be so laggy that I essentially can't move. After ten or fifteen seconds, things are back to "normal." I've stopped all the services I can and still things are no better. I don't notice anything like this on the vanilla (or tacmod) server. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

The time for calm and rational discussion has passed. Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Re: Lag on POE Server

Try to find out if you've got network lag (latency spikes and/or packet loss) or client lag (hard disk swapping, high CPU load). Use PingPlotter to record a ping plot (1 second interval, preferably) during play and analyse that. Post it in here if you need help interpreting the thing.
    <insert signature spam here>

Comment

I'll chime in and say I've been blessed with no lag whatsoever since day 1 of the TG POE2 server....Lek's got some good ideas there Me thinks...
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Lekdevil. I took a quick look at PingPlotter and didn't see anything obvious. I'll plot some data tonight and look at CPU and memory use as well. Generally speaking is POE more of a memory hog that vanilla or tacmod?

The time for calm and rational discussion has passed. Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Comment

Originally posted by E0_ View Post
          Thanks for the suggestions, Lekdevil. I took a quick look at PingPlotter and didn't see anything obvious. I'll plot some data tonight and look at CPU and memory use as well. Generally speaking is POE more of a memory hog that vanilla or tacmod?
          I noticed on my system 20-30% more ram usage. I run all video settings at high.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

OK, just went in game long enough to check a few things. Pingplotter consistently shows results between 65 and 70, even when the game stalls out. I'm showing about 1.3 GB of memory used and CPU use is very high, often 100%.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU and 1.5Gig of DDR-SDRAM. Am I simply CPU limited here? Would going to 2Gig help? I don't seem to be doing any disk swaping.

Comment

Originally posted by E0_ View Post
              OK, just went in game long enough to check a few things. Pingplotter consistently shows results between 65 and 70, even when the game stalls out. I'm showing about 1.3 GB of memory used and CPU use is very high, often 100%.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU and 1.5Gig of DDR-SDRAM. Am I simply CPU limited here? Would going to 2Gig help? I don't seem to be doing any disk swaping.

Well, I run a 2.4Ghz P4 @ 2.9, 2 Gb of ram. So I would not think you are CPU limited. IMHO, you need 2Gb to run BF2 smoothly.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

If you're confident that the network connection is not the issue (and given the data, I'd agree with that), next up would be to check the behaviour or the processes running alongside BF2. Get Process Explorer from Sysinternals.com. Have it set up to include the per-process CPU history in the main window (right-click on the column headers and click "Select Columns..."). When you're getting a lag spike, alt-tab out of BF2 and see which process is particularly active at that point (apart from BF2, of course).

HTH.
                <insert signature spam here>

Comment

I run an AMD64 3000+ and 1.5GB of RAM.. No problems like you're describing.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                    ...IMHO, you need 2Gb to run BF2 smoothly...
                    I run with 2GB of RAM and will hit 80-85% untilization (BF2/PoE + TS + FRAPS + TS Overlay + + +). I used to be on 1GB and that wasn't so good. So I agree with Blonov.

The extra ram also knocked about 20 seconds off of my map load time.

Hope you get this sorted out E0...words like "unplayable" are frightening.

Good luck.

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                    if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

I'm having the same exact problem. I reformatted and got a Raptor. Ping Plotter is perfect. I have expensive low latency ram. 1gb but when I look at the ram its never even 3/4. I don't know how you guys are looking at the ram. I alt tab to task maneger. My cpu is at %100 all the time. I can't buy anymore of the same ram because the revision # must be the same. And its 2 years old. And I don't want to buy a whole new set til Vista.
                      I remember having a similar problem when punkbuster released a bad update that they corrected a couple days later.
                      If I have to go out to best buy and buy a 2gb pack to see I will.
                      The other thing I think it may be is the audigy 2. Going to try to run on board sound. It feels to me that the sound is holding up the graphics somehow.
                      And last but not least it may be windows 2000 finally becoming unusable.
                      After all it is a mod and there are probally some bugs. If you find a cure please post it or pm me.

Comment

Here are people having the same problems on the POE forum. I would encourage anyone having this problem to let them know.

http://www.pointofexistence.com/foru...opic=9729&st=0

Comment

Hambergler, check that threat on POE forum. There is a post about pb. I tried it and that seems to have worked for me.

Comment

Not Sure what happend, but about 3 days ago everything just went normal. Who knows?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X