Help Please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please.

Hello, I'm back, school schedule has quieted down a few notches as routine sets in. Anyways, the problem I'm having is a fairly serious one I believe, so if anyone has anything I could try, please, go for it. This is kinda long, but please bear with me.

I have a creative X-Fi soundcard. Sometime in early summer, I downloaded beta drivers in order to play BF2 on sound quality ultra. Things went great for several months. Then one day while playing POE2, my mic doesn't work as well, and suddenly it stops working altogether. I figure it died, but it worked on several other computers so I attempted to rollback to my old drivers. I uninstalled all traces of creative from my system, but I think I missed the actual driver. Being a beta driver, it was supposed to time out Spetember 22, 2006, at which point it could be safely removed, however, I forgot about that. I installed the old driver, I guess overtop of the beta driver. Rebooted. System crash, internal error, driver conflict. I was kinda panicky now. Four hard boots later, it recovered, wokred fine. Sound, Mic, everything was fine. All my games ran fine, except BF2. Uh-oh. It shows the BF2 logo, then nothing happens. No crash, nothing, just doesn't run. Toyed with it for a few days, still nothing, then it was time to hit the books, I kinda pushed it out of memory.

A few days ago, as some of you should know, the driver timed out. A message popped up upon bootiing up, driver may safely be unistalled. I uninstalled all creative drivers, reinstalled. But it still says I need to uninstall the old driver, and BF2 still won't start. Creative doesn't have any information on their site in regards to uninstalling this driver,. What should I do? I sent this in to Creative tech-support as well, but so far nothing. Any ideas?

Re: Help Please.

I don't use Windows, so this is from memory, but in the device manager just delete the device, restart and Windows will redectect it, then install the correct drivers.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

there is also a free program called driver cleaner pro that does a better job removing drivers than windows does...Do a google on driver cleaner pro and you'll find it. Run that program, then do a defrag, then install the new drivers...

Lorian's advice makes sense...maybe do that step after removing the drivers
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Hopefully, if all goes well I will be on the battlefield soon! More later...

Comment

OK, driver issue has been fixed. I am now 90% sure all traces of the old driver are gone, however, still no BF2 :icon_conf

I have tried several reinstalls, some to different directories, nothing works. Still every other program works fine on my computer. Could it be something totally unrelated to the other incident? Thanks for any help, I'm quite stuck ATM.

Comment

Pull out the sound card and turn on onboard sound. See if its really the soundcard drivers and not the soundcard. Test the soundcard on another machine if possible.

Comment

Also try to rename or delete your profile and create a new one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X