Vista 64bit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 64bit?

Does BF2 run on 64bit Vista? I mean is it suppossed to? Because it doesn't for me. Using RC2 64-bit with the nvidia video drivers.
    I get some dx9 error message when running in a window.

Re: Vista 64bit?

Could it be this problem you are hitting?

http://forums.fevergaming.com/game-c...solutions.html
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I almost posted that, then I realised this is the BF2 forum ;)
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Hi

Does`nt Vista incorporate DX10?
        That could be a problem.
        I see compatablility problems in our near future.

IronClaw

Comment

Unless it isn't backwards compatible, I don't see how that is an issue.
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but my problem is running BF2 on Vista 64bit. The error message is "Debug assertion failed. Blablabla. Failed to find valid format for windowed mode". Hmm - this is when running under -fullscreen 0.
            Running as administrator doesn't help, and setting the compatibility mode to XP SP2 doesn't help either.

Comment

um...isnt vista not retail yet?

Comment

Beta.
                |TG| Lorian

Comment

Why go retail? Live dangerously! BTW: I can't boot XP any more.
                  But EA and many people say that BF2 works, just not for me. Maybe it's those dang nvidia beta drivers. I'll remove those

Comment

Well are are kind of asking for it really, it was designed for XP 32-bit, and you're running Vista 64-bit.
                    |TG| Lorian

Comment

I guess I am a sucker for punishment.
                      Uninstalling the nvidia drivers and going back to the ones that came with the RC2 did it. I get more and more disgusted by the quality of the nvidia products. Their software that is. My mobo that got rave reviews turns out to work okay, but I had to disable everything nvidia. And the parts that are active are causing frequent problems.

BTW I got the d3dx9_29.dll problem again and instead of downloading the 50MB microsoft install I got a small 4MB installer from http://www.threelights.de/index.php?..._dll_files.php that fixes the problem too.

BTW2: Uninstalling the video drivers (rolling back) did not require a reboot! Is that cool or what?

BTW3: Creative: I use their Audigy 2 card and it does not seem to work in Vista. Non-exisiting 64-bit driver support. I guess they want to sell their X-Fi cards. Is there another good audio card that is well supported? Don't they see that 64-bit is the future?
                      Last edited by marstein; 10-08-2006, 01:22 PM. Reason: clear up audio part

Comment

I don't think it's really fair to fault nVidia's drivers for a 64 bit version of an OS that is not yet retail, nor is it fair to fault Creative. They are under no obligation to support Vista, let alone the 64 bit version; the product works under XP, and that's all you should expect. I mean, these things predate the OS you're trying to run them with.
                        Last edited by TychoCelchuuu; 10-08-2006, 02:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Tycho: I am using the latest 64-bit nvidia drivers designated for Vista. If I was nvidia I'd try to keep my customers happy that are planning to upgrade to Vista using their DX10 graphics cards. This OS wasn't announced yesterday. At least the nvidia control panel finally works - I could never get that to work on XP. Their lack of support makes me want to get ATI.
                          Of course if BF2 doesn't work on Vista that's another story: I would blame Microsoft ;-) After 8 bit DOS programs still work and they predate the OS by a lot more than BF2, a modern Windows application.

Comment

Don't forget that those sort of programs are very basic, there is a lot of stuff that can (and usually does) go wrong in a complex program like BF2.
                            |TG| Lorian

Comment

Update: I re-activated the motherboard Realtek audio and that works out of the box! Even better: Realtek has 64 bit beta drivers on the web site that make 5.1 sound possible.
                              The market leader Creative is meanwhile whining about the driver model and say they want to have something for the release.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X