POE2 -- EVERY file corrupt???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POE2 -- EVERY file corrupt???

Okay, I hate to kill kitties, but I really did search for months before posting this. I have tried to d/l POE2 for literally THREE months now! Then after a clean install of everything BF2, I have been to every mirror site listed in the members d/l section, hypernia, filecloud, fileplanet, all of them. I have d/l .rar files, .torrent, .zip, password protected, no_password.. Every error msg I get says something about an incomplete or corrupt file. Surely they can't ALL be corrupt...

I haven't played BF2 in so long, I'm really suffering withdrawals here. Help?
    I heart TG.
    xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Re: POE2 -- EVERY file corrupt???

My initial guess would be your ram is bad. Do other large downloads do the same thing?
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Make sure you are extracting the files first before running the installation. Other than that, you might want to check if your hard drive needs defragging.
      -33rd- BaneII
      Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Sugar--Post your specs for your computer so we know what we are looking at. Do a defrag on your HD and download the files again. . If you are not extracting the file, then installing, then you are missing an important step. If nothing else is malfunctioning I doubt it's a RAM issue.

I'm no expert but I'd be glad to try to help, step by step, on TS as you install it. Any chance you could get Sassy to help you. I know she's got it up and running. I have no idea if you guys live near eachother but if she (or her personal technology assistant) can be there as you do it it might be better than working together on TS. Drop me PM if you want and we can set a date.

Duke would've made it a self extracting file like tac mod is.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If large files are getting corrupted, it could be your disk controller dying out.

I had this happend to me on a server, rather annoying! Everything was fine, untill I tried to do lots of IO on a large file. In that case, the large file ended up sligthly corrupted.

There are some disk performance tester out there that make your disk work like crazy. Try one and see of you get IO errors. If you do, there are some cheap (around 30$ or 40$) disk controller you could try to make sure it is the problem.
          TG-Irr BoldKiller0082

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

As far as specs, I don't really know what they are *sheepish grin* My hubby takes care of all that stuff. I'll try to get him to post something for me when I get home today.

And I have been having some trouble lately with my C: drive not having enough memory, or something like that. But I d/l and extracted it to the E: drive, and I still get various forms of "this file can not be read because it is corrupt" error messages.

But I would like to get on TS (maybe this weekend?) if you have the time.... so I can try to get it to work.

Could it perchance be a laggy internet connection that is causing some parts of the file not to be d/l properly??
            I heart TG.
            xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

Catch me on TS and I will assist you as best as possible.
              -33rd- BaneII
              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by |TG|SugarNCamo View Post
                Could it perchance be a laggy internet connection that is causing some parts of the file not to be d/l properly??
                No speed has no impact on the validity of data. It only takes longer to download. Considering you said you used torrent, you can be sure the file got to you fuly intact (torrents do what is called a checksum to insure the file is valid and corect any broken parts)

So the problem is between the time you extract and install the mod.
                TG-Irr BoldKiller0082

Comment

gah, I hate computers :(
                  I heart TG.
                  xoxo

~Sugar~

Comment

I remember having a similar problem when I first d/l'ed POE, and the resolution was the method of unzipping/extracting the files. I can't remember what exactly worked, as it was months ago and I'm currently three sheets to the wind, but between the method of hitting the button to 'Extract' all files, or properly unzip them into a different folder, I was able to install it.

Maybe if you describe, step by step, what you're doing to extract the files once they're downloaded, someone can point out what the issue is.
                    Beatnik

Comment

Hi

Use winzip to extract the files?If not try that.

http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

The Windows zip utility can get a bit dodgy.

IronClaw

Comment

I use Winrar to unzip anything.

http://www.rarlabs.com

Comment

Jmaker

Winrar is good as well and I use that too.
                          I was thinking it was an encryption problem she was encountering with the Windows default app.

Comment

I'm going to try it again this weekend... I've been hitting EQ2 pretty hard in the meantime. I'll get on TS and hopefully one of y'all will be there to help. I know the d/l takes about 3 hours each time, though, so I'll have to designate a huge chunk of time for it. *sigh* Thanks, guys. :)
                            I heart TG.
                            xoxo

~Sugar~

Comment

I DID it! Please don't ask me how.... :) But I finally installed POE2 on my computer. Unfortunately my CPU was fried the other night during a power surge... *mumbles about wal-mart surge protectors* But at least it's fixed. Thanks to JackMack, Birdie, and all the others who provided their expertise.

Much love!
                              I heart TG.
                              xoxo

~Sugar~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X