• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new computer, need help

I just got a new computer whose specs are

AMD 64-bit dual core 4200+
    2 gigs ram
    Radeon 200- 256 video ram pci-express

This is more than twice machine I was running on, but I'm getting really choppy graphics and screen stuttering.

Any ideas?

Re: Got a new computer, need help

What exact GPU do you have? 200-256 makes me think it's an integrated one or uses system memory.
    |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

I agree you seem to have an integrated GFX card. I would recommend buying a card in the $200 range if you want to be able to play BF2 with decent settings.

Comment

It is an integrated video card...sorry about the mix up, It's a "Radeon 200" with "256 video memory". So I take it integrated cards are, how do you say, crap?

I just got this computer and was under the impression that the card should be able to perform. *sigh* still it is faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker View Post
          It is an integrated video card...sorry about the mix up, It's a "Radeon 200" with "256 video memory". So I take it integrated cards are, how do you say, crap?

I just got this computer and was under the impression that the card should be able to perform. *sigh* still it is faster.
          Mind you, that 256mb video is probably shared with your system ram. Yes, a separate videocard will help a lot. BB is selling a 7900GS for just $150, this will be a big boost to your current set up: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155072371459
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Well I still have the Radeon 9800 I was using. This computer was an early christmas present when my other one died a few days ago, and I still have the option of returning it and getting a new one. *shrug* I just want a system that will run my games (especially if I can finally play BF2 with 64 players at higher than 6-10 fps).

*chronological error* days was not suppose to be years :P

Comment

I don't think your old Radeon 9800 is PCI-E. What is your in game setting? going too agressive on those settings will kill the framerate for most machines.

Comment

the 9800 should work but its probably a PCIe MB which might not work. Upgrade to a 6600 nvidia card and you will be just fine.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

I can't afford a new video card too. I'm in debt. If this videocard won't cut it I'll have to return this one and get a different machine.

Oh and my settings are set to "lowest everything" as is my standard. I'm not looking for pretty, just smooth. It is a pci-e mb, and now that I think about it I don't think it has and AGP slot.

Comment

Well, I am afraid to say the onboard video just won't be able to cut it. If you can spare around $50, try get some second hand PCI-E card off someone on ebay or something like this new -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102565

It won't be much but it should help a little, until you can get a better one.

Comment

You could post in the buy/sell/trade forum here at TG that you need a card that will run BF2.....youll get an offer or two im shure .
                      And with two gigs of ram as long as the card will run BF2 at all id imagine youd get decent framerates.

PS. If you live near a FRY'S Electronics....theyre like the newegg with a retail outlet....you may pay just a little more but you dont have to spring for shipping and returns are less of a hassle

Comment

If I'm gonna get something I'm gonna get something good. What's your advice on a card for $100-$200. I'll start saving pennies :)

PS. I'm looking for the best power per dollar ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker View Post
                          If I'm gonna get something I'm gonna get something good. What's your advice on a card for $100-$200. I'll start saving pennies :)

PS. I'm looking for the best power per dollar ratio.
                          The one in my post here -> http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showpos...94&postcount=5

would be a good "value". However, you need to make sure your stock PSU have enough juice to run it. Do you know the spec of your PSU? Unless you are getting a brand new PSU when you get your new card, your stock PSU could be a factor in what kind of video card you can actually get.

Comment

I see, when I'm at my system again (i'm at school) I'll check and repost here.

Comment

I have a 300w power supply...with a 310w in an older computer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X