Problem with wireless card, perhaps.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with wireless card, perhaps.

For Christmas I received a new motherboard for my new computer, I had it built the very same day. I have some pretty decent hardware, a huge upgrade from my previous machine, I was very eager to start Battlefield 2, so I installed it, downloaded the modifications and patches and installed them too. When I went to join Tactical Gamer's it loaded up and then when I went to play it I had an 'OMG WTF' moment because it was so choppy it was unplayable. I quickly reduced the video settings assuming they were too high, but that made no difference. The game remains quite jittery. Later I tried to start a single player game and see if it as bas as multilayer, but in single player it was silk smooth. This lead me to believe it was an internet problem, perhaps with my wireless card. I have a Belkin 54G, I have the latest drivers, I am using windows to configure and I always get an excellent signal. In game my ping is always low, around 30-40. Another thing is I don't notice problems anywhere else, just in Battlefield 2, the ARMA demo runs fine, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
    Thanks.

Re: Problem with wireless card, perhaps.

I would try plugging the internet straight into the RJ-45 (Ethernet) port on your motherboard and see if that makes any difference.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Yes that is a good idea, I would have tried it before posting here, but the problem is the cable hookup, and router are a few floors below my computer. I could run an Ethernet cable up here, if I have one long enough, but it would require some significant working, I could in theory being my computer down to the jack, but that too would be quite a hassle. It would be nice if there were an easy and definitive way determine the wireless card is the problem before taking more significant steps to a resolution. However that doesn't seem to be the reality, I'll see if I can hide a 50ft cord about, I'm not too hopeful though.

Comment

Do you have a dual core processor?

Comment

I play with wireless internet as well, and it usually gets a little jittery. For me, it tends to be around 10 seconds of normal play, followed by 2-3 seconds of lag, and then repeat. So I think we have the same problem Sam, and I'm not really sure if there's any way to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
            Do you have a dual core processor?
            Yes, a Core 2 Duo 6600, is that a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
              Don't worry about that. I run an E6400 @ 2.56 G. BF2, BF2142, whatever you throw at it runs fine. If the game runs fine single player, and does not run well multiplayer, as you suspect the problem is most likely related to your LAN setup /connectivity. Are you running anykind of AntiVirus/software firewall while playing ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                Don't worry about that. I run an E6400 @ 2.56 G. BF2, BF2142, whatever you throw at it runs fine. If the game runs fine single player, and does not run well multiplayer, as you suspect the problem is most likely related to your LAN setup /connectivity. Are you running anykind of AntiVirus/software firewall while playing ?

DB
                Yes I have McAfee up normally but I tried to kill it using Smartclose, the in game results are the same.

Comment

Yes I have McAfee up normally but I tried to kill it using Smartclose, the in game results are the same.

Do you use the McAfee firewall ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Yes, I have their whole package, I get it free through Comcast, perhaps Smart Close does not actually disable the firewall? But I can't find a better way to close it, in fact I can't really do anything with McAfee, it just sort of prowls around automatically deleting and 'fixing' things.

Comment

Oh I don't know. Try setting the affinity to use only one core. Open up Task Manager and it's somewhere in there. Click on processes and then right click to set affinity. Try that and report back.

Comment

Yes, I have their whole package, I get it free through Comcast, perhaps Smart Close does not actually disable the firewall? But I can't find a better way to close it, in fact I can't really do anything with McAfee, it just sort of prowls around automatically deleting and 'fixing' things.
                        Yuk!

See if this helps.

DB

| |

Comment

Only using one processor doesn't seem to help, neither does giving BF2 access through the firewall..

Comment

I find a full blown software firewall is fairly useless if you have a hardware firewall and some common sense. On my Windows setup (don't worry, I only use it for games, I'm not stupid enough to use Windows as my main OS... oh wait, I just called everyone here stupid...) I use the AVG Free Anti-Virus program, fairly lightweight, not a resource hog, and Windows firewall. Works fine and leaves it (as) clean (as it can be running Windows).

Is my Anti-Windows/Pro-Linux getting annoying yet?
                            |TG| Lorian
                            Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Just stick a big "Shameless Linux User" plug in your sig and you should be all set Lorian ;).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X