BF2 won't start up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 won't start up.

I suppose you get a lot of these around here. I'm new to the threads, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Mac, I just bought Battlefeild 2 today and I'm having some problems getting it to work.
    I installed the deluxe edition retail copy, and clicked to play the game, only to have a 'Battlefield 2' screen pop up, some loading, and nothing but another black screen to take me back to my desktop.
    I started searching on the internet and found that a lot of people had my same problem, and many people suggested many things. Let me tell you what I've tried, and my system specs.

I've uninstalled BF2, and reinstalled it after the initial time.
    I've installed patch 1.4.1 full version.
    I've updated my video, and sound drivers.
    I've renamed the movies in the start-up so that I wouldnt have as many items starting me up.
    And I've rebooted a thousand times.

I checked the bare minimum for system specs, and everything checks out good, except the graphics card.

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Computer:
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    3.19GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM.

Adapter Type:
    Chip Type: Nvidia Quadro 4 980 XGL
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Memory Size: 128MB (!!ATTENTION!! THIS IS WHAT I WAS WORRIED ABOUT ON THE GRAPHICS CARD, EA SAYS THE GAME WILL RUN ON THIS MEMORY BUT WANTS 256 FOR BETTER GAMING)
    Adapter String: Quadro 4 980 XGL
    Bios Information: Version 4.28.20.19.15

If you notice anything right off the bat that is wrong, please notify me and I'll try it. If its going to cost more than 60$, I'd prefer a few more options before I fork out cash for a new video card.

THanks for your help in advance.

Re: BF2 won't start up.

that graphics card an onboard controller? If so that would be the only thing i see wrong.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I dont know to identify if it has an onboard controller. If I mis-understood and you're telling me it has one, and thats why it's not working, then I'm sorry!
      Last edited by Macragge; 03-07-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: Grammar error

Comment

Onboard Graphics card means that it's physically built into the motherboard and can't on it's own be replaced. It's typical that manufacturers will use this type of graphics card. If this is the case, that doesn't mean your out of the gaming business. You likely will need to purchase and install a better graphics card, which 95% of people need to do with a store bought computer. At the lower end, you would likely spend about $150 for a graphics card that's ok for gaming. You have enough ram and a good enough processor to handle the game.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Oh ok, no it's not an onboard graphics card. Yes I'm stupid, I realised what he's asking now. This is a seperate card that I bought when I was building this PC. The PC will run games like DOOM 3, F.E.A.R., World of Warcraft, SWAT 4, all fine.. and when I try Battlefield 2, I get a screen like its about to load, and then it goes back to my desktop.

Do you think my patch could be effecting this? I'm reinstalling it now, is there a certain folder that it should be in?

Comment

quadro cards are for graphics stuff not gaming. I dont think Bf2 supports Quadro cards at all.
            -Vulcan

Comment

I have here next to me the ATI RADEON 9500 PRO 128MB card that I used back in the day, but it's having heating problems. I think it's a microscopic crack in the silicon thats doin' it, because it seems to have no problems at all.
              A new up to date ATI Radeon will cost be buku money. I checked the "EAsy Information" box, my results basicly told me, that it has a question mark next to the Nvidia Quadro box, making me believe that I needed a driver update. Seems like it won't run Quadro. Looks like I'll have to try another video card eh?

Thanks for the help all, I'll see if I can pick one up tonight. Will update then.

Comment

did some reading and quadro are not supported by bf2 or any bf series games, so yeah a new Graphics card is gonna be your only real sollution.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Well gosh darnit. Alright, thanks again man. I'll update later on.

Comment

Ok, re-installed the Radeon, its up and running. The card has its issues like before, but It will be a good sub until I get cash to buy a new card. Thanks for your help!!

Comment

You should be able to play on minimal settings with that card mac, but i'd definitely look into getting a new card. check out tigerdirect.com and newegg. they both have very very low prices and have never disappointed me. You're definitely going to have better luck finding a cheaper card to suit your needs than going to a retail store (for example: a Radeon x1300 256mb pci-e card will run you 70 bucks at tigerdirect as opposed to 130+tax from compusa and best buy).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X