Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VoiP - a little help?

Hi all,

I've been looking through a few topics, and I see this one has been done to death, but none of them (that I can find) answer my questions. Can someone help lead me in the right direction? Basically, I decided to get a headset at the weekend, which plugs into my Soundblaster Audigy soundcard. Now, I've tested it in Windows, which seems fine (i can hear my own voice in the 'phones when speaking into the mic). Also, when I go into sound options in BFII/PoE, I can hear my own voice when setting the threshold. But, when I press B or V, no-one responds, so I assume they can't hear me. So, a few questions:

1) Should sound threshold in the sound menu be set to a lower or higher value?
    2) Should I hear anything in-game when I press B or V - ie, my own voice, or any radio sfx?
    3) Do you guys use in-game sound or use TS?
    4) Can I hear/speak with people who use TS if I'm using in-game VoiP?
    5) Is there a faq which explains getting VoiP working from start to finish? I haven't been able to find one yet.
    6) Should I scrap in game VoiP and use TS?

Ta,
    7ShadesOSin
    7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
    And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
    - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Re: VoiP - a little help?

I can't answer all these but I can some.

1) thresholds depend on system I'm sure, but if you think people aren't hearing you, try lower. The idea is having it set just high enough that you don't broadcast background noise as soon as you hit the push to talk key. My room is quiet and my mic weak so mine is set almost to zero.

2) B-squad, no you won't hear anything. V-commander you will here a short radio static sound effect when you hit the button. Of course you have to be a member of a squad to use B, and you have to be the leader of a squad to talk to the commander V.

3) Alot of people use both I think. But the in-game VOIP is used Extensively...at least on the POE2 server which is the only TG server I play.

4) Yes but...I had problems (that seemed to go away after I installed a sound card and changed a bunch of settings) trying to run both at once. There are potentially issues running both, which folks can help you through I'm sure, but I would try to get VOIP to work first without TS running.

5) Can't help you here?

6) No. I'm sure there are lots of people who don't use teamspeak in game. Honestly I haven't even gotten around to looking up the TG Teamspeak info, so right now I only use VOIP. And VOIP seems to be where all the major squad communication goes on.

A few other thoughts.
    * BF2 will disable your sound without notice if it isn't happy with something. Check to see if it is being turned off once you start playing.

* Of course make sure VOIP is enabled on the server you are playing on.

* Make sure you mic boost is on and...no joke...try asking really loud if anyone can hear you. I just dumped my $50 headset to go back to my $20 Walmart cheapo because the mic pickup was so bad in-game. Testing in windows and in game setup was acceptable, but in game everybody kept telling me to turn my mic up (which of course I couldn't)

* Also, are you getting a nice green speaker icon when you hit the B button? If your distortion is too bad or VOIP has been disabled, you might get a red icon that looks like a broken speaker. This means the game is not transmitting what you are saying.

Comment

Re: VoiP - a little help?

Nerd,

Looks like I got it working, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have never seen mention of the red/green speaker icon in *any* of the help I've looked at, and still don't see it in the manual. Made all the difference, cos I fiddled with the settings until it was green...!

I'm still having problems with sound though...time to start another thread... ;)

Cheers,
      7ShadesOSin
      7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
      And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
      - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement