Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering Voice Over (not VoiP) when using Hardware

Hello again,

Well, I have my VoiP fixed (thanks Nerd) - but I'm now having problems with "Voice Over" - not VoiP, but the in-game pre-recorded radio chat.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy, and when I set the Audio to use Hardware rather than Software, the Voice Over messages stutter - yet bizarrely, *everything else* is fine!

I've googled it, and a few people seem to have this problem with this card, but I can't see a fix yet. I've turned off my on-board audio (was off before this issue). There are no newer drivers for this card than the ones XP has, AFAIK (Creative lists it as an out-of-support item).

Some people suggest using software, which DOES work perfetcly on my system, but they also suggest that no performance decrease shold occur - yet the system does seem to take quite a large hit. EAX is disabled when I use hardware.

Anyway, thought I'd run it by the experts. This is p***ing me off...I'm unsure whether this has ever worked, or if I always had software selected in the past...

TIA!
    7ShadesOSin
    7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
    And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
    - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Re: Stuttering Voice Over (not VoiP) when using Hardware

Originally posted by dsteel0 View Post
    Hello again,

Well, I have my VoiP fixed (thanks Nerd) - but I'm now having problems with "Voice Over"

7ShadesOSin
    Wow, somebody takes the time to help you and you make fun on them! Now that's gratitude. :)
    Last edited by jonan_; 03-13-2007, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Not sure if that's sarcasm...if so, read the post in question.

If not... :P

7ShadesOSin.
      7Shades

Comment

Hello again,

Well, I have my VoiP fixed (thanks Nerd) - but I'm now having problems with "Voice Over" - not VoiP, but the in-game pre-recorded radio chat.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy, and when I set the Audio to use Hardware rather than Software, the Voice Over messages stutter - yet bizarrely, *everything else* is fine!

I've googled it, and a few people seem to have this problem with this card, but I can't see a fix yet. I've turned off my on-board audio (was off before this issue). There are no newer drivers for this card than the ones XP has, AFAIK (Creative lists it as an out-of-support item).

Some people suggest using software, which DOES work perfetcly on my system, but they also suggest that no performance decrease shold occur - yet the system does seem to take quite a large hit. EAX is disabled when I use hardware.

Anyway, thought I'd run it by the experts. This is p***ing me off...I'm unsure whether this has ever worked, or if I always had software selected in the past...

TIA!
        7ShadesOSin
        Some SB cards do not have a DSP, so they don't support HW audio. Which one do you have ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Honestly - I have no idea, because it was "liberated" from an older machine that a friend had. I just popped it in...

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't the fact it's a PCI sound card make it "hardware" (as opposed to "software", which will use the processing power of the machine rather than the soundcard itself)???

The system uses the processing power of the sound card hardware, instead of the processor/windows software processing...maybe my understanding of software/hardware is different when it comes to BF2 terminology - though I'm drawing a parallel with modems - when you have a modem card, the card itself does all the work - when you have an internal software (on-board) modem, it's the processor/windows that does all of the work - and it can use up some of the resources windows has to use...

7Shades
          7Shades

Comment

Honestly - I have no idea, because it was "liberated" from an older machine that a friend had. I just popped it in...

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't the fact it's a PCI sound card make it "hardware" (as opposed to "software", which will use the processing power of the machine rather than the soundcard itself)???

The system uses the processing power of the sound card hardware, instead of the processor/windows software processing...maybe my understanding of software/hardware is different when it comes to BF2 terminology - though I'm drawing a parallel with modems - when you have a modem card, the card itself does all the work - when you have an internal software (on-board) modem, it's the processor/windows that does all of the work - and it can use up some of the resources windows has to use...

7Shades
            For the audio card to be able to use hardware acceleration, it needs a DSP. Here's a list of the Audigy cards. Some don't have an audio processor, hence, you cannot use HW acceleration. All the audio processing has to be done by your CPU as if you were using on-board sound.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I can consider myself corrected *and* educated! ;)

Thanks...so I guess I'm as well running in software mode then (which works nicely) if I find I don't have a card with DSP?

May be my imagination, but it *seems* as though the system takes a performance decrease when using software...

If I'm not working late tonight, I'll see if I can get on, and test things out a little more.

Thanks again,

7Shades
              :madsmile:
              7Shades

Comment

I can consider myself corrected *and* educated! ;)

Thanks...so I guess I'm as well running in software mode then (which works nicely) if I find I don't have a card with DSP?

May be my imagination, but it *seems* as though the system takes a performance decrease when using software...

If I'm not working late tonight, I'll see if I can get on, and test things out a little more.

Thanks again,

7Shades
                :madsmile:
                Try to check in the device manager, you might find the model. Also, Creative has an autoupdate. This installs an active X control and will detect whatever Creative device you have. Just get to the step where it tells you what you have. Don't download anything yet. Post back your findings.

DB

DB

| |

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                  Wow, somebody takes the time to help you and you make fun on them! Now that's gratitude. :)
                  I think he might have been talking about me...lol. And I take pride in being a Nerd!

I had the EXACT same issue with stuttering. I have a cheap SoundBlaster Audigy card too. Maybe the same one :)

Like you I just use software, but being a PC noob, I would also be very interested to know if that means I amgetting zero performance benefit from my soundcard?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X