New PC, don't want to reinstall...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC, don't want to reinstall...

I've set up a new PC with a new HD running the OS. I have several games including BF2 on a seperate HD that is slaved to the new OS drive.

Question is, is there something I can do about getting BF2 running again without having to reinstall everything? My guess is the reason it's not running is a missing registry key.

I'm currently searching around for info about getting this done, but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!
    "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
    EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
    PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Re: New PC, don't want to reinstall...

Most games will not run unless they are properly installed through the OS. I've never seen anyone do what you're asking - though someone else may have better information.

I would save myself probable future headaches and reinstall.
    7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
    And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
    - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Originally posted by Banyan View Post
      I've set up a new PC with a new HD running the OS. I have several games including BF2 on a seperate HD that is slaved to the new OS drive.

Question is, is there something I can do about getting BF2 running again without having to reinstall everything? My guess is the reason it's not running is a missing registry key.

I'm currently searching around for info about getting this done, but I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!
      I was able to successfully move my entire "EA GAMES" folder to another hard drive (keeping the os on the original), and just change the registry keys to point at the right place. But this was after I already had the keys in the registry.

One thing you could do is get a backup of your old registry (you may have to boot back into your old OS)

http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_registry.htm

You should be able to selectively backup the parts that pertain to your games, and then import them into your new install and make the necessary changes.

I'm positive that there must be some system admin software out there that would just migrate the settings (the migration tool that comes with xp doesn't seem to transfer program settings). Alas, I'm not a windows admin :(

Quite frankly it will probably take quite a bit of time and trial and error to manually do this, and even a minor error can still screw things up.....it would probably be faster just to reinstall BF2 straight off the bat and whatever else you have.

You can still retain all your game settings by just copying over the "Battlefield 2" folder from your old to new MyDocuments.

HTH

Comment

Yeah, I agree it's looking more troublesome to try rather than just reinstall. Thanks for the tips!
        "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
        EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
        PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...