Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VOIP: Talking to other squad leaders as a squad leader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOIP: Talking to other squad leaders as a squad leader?

I remember when I first started my account, Sgt. Commanderman (the hints and tips voice over) saying that as a squad leader, I could use the Commander Chat key (default V) to communicate with both the commander AND other squad leaders. I haven't found this to be accurate. Did they miss this in the game development, or am I going insane?
    *=IMA=*2wiSteD

Re: VOIP: Talking to other squad leaders as a squad leader?

Nope. That channel is for CO communication only. I wish there was a separate SL channel, so in CO-less games SLs can still coordinate. Unfortunately, that's not the case.
    Beatnik

Comment

Bwhaha, I went into the common client file to get the sound since I couldn't get a screen shot in game (I'm not sure what you have to do to trigger it.)

X:/Battlefield 2/bf2/mods/common_client/Sound/English/Help_VO/HUD_HELP_SQUAD_LEADER_commanderChannel.ogg

"Press and hold your BattleComm Command Channel key to talk to the commander, and other squad leaders."

Yessir. I see that it doesn't work that way, but perhaps they meant to have it like that, but someone effed up the coding. Future update?
      Last edited by 2wiSteD; 05-07-2007, 05:44 PM. Reason: Included sound quote
      *=IMA=*2wiSteD

Comment

request this on the EA forums, i think there is a moderator that wants to get input for one final possible patch
        sigpic

Comment

Will do.

-I can't post the link to the post as of yet, but it's under BF2 feedback in the EA Forums. Keep it bumped, guys.
          *=IMA=*2wiSteD

Comment

I've been in a lot of situations lately where that would be handy; calling in an armor/heli squad for some boom power.

Comment

This would be good because then other SL's would know when and when not to broadcast into the CO's ears (eg. they would hear other SLs talking).
              sigpic
              I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Would be a great feature. Honestly it makes a lot of sense. I think overall there are a lot of areas to strengthen the game on the squad and co level of communication and coordination.

Overall I think the CO role should be more of a support and defense role rather than an offensive role as it is in BF2. More options for a Co such as encouraging players to join squads through using the invite system. Allowing each squad to have a different color along with with member adopting that color on the mini map.

Having a preset list of kits for a full squad depending on their mission. So my squad becomes the AT squad, It might consist of 3AT, 1 assult, 1 spec ops, and 1 support. Then this set up is sent to the squad leader and the members are encouraged to fill the roles instead of having to constantly ask on comms what role is needed, they would auto know when they get to their spawn screen because the needed kits would be highlighted.

Also a ton more spotted commands such as mines markers and such so all players on your team know mines are there.

There is just sooooo much here that would be branched out but for sure a SL to SL chat system would be tops.
                Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

One nice thing with PoE2 is that this level of coordination can be implemented through team-chat (text). In the latest release (1.7), a lot of the text-spam has been eliminated... so "Ammo Here!", "Clear!", "Enemy Infantry Spotted!" etc, etc, are no longer printed on the screen - only the sound is heard.

This means the text channel is clear and messages stay up for a while. The other night I typed "Squad 5 Defending Trenches" into team chat and it stayed on the screen for a good minute and a half. In all other flavors of BFx, that message scrolls off the screen in 3 seconds.

Comment

I am still waiting for the ability of squads to see the orders that OTHER squads have. This would really enhance teamwork in the absence of a CO.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                      I am still waiting for the ability of squads to see the orders that OTHER squads have. This would really enhance teamwork in the absence of a CO.
                      No kidding. I think the trick would be to do it in a way that does not confuse your squad as to what your objective is. Some people get mixed up easy and I could see them going to the wrong place to attack or defend. If you had each squad color coded then it would be easy to see which objective was yours.
                      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                        No kidding. I think the trick would be to do it in a way that does not confuse your squad as to what your objective is. Some people get mixed up easy and I could see them going to the wrong place to attack or defend. If you had each squad color coded then it would be easy to see which objective was yours.
                        I'd think that doing it the same way that they did it with the text spam for the voice-overs would work. i.e.: Members of your squad see the full color list available for the orders of your own SL, and all orders from other squads have a blue tinge (possibly solid blue) and/or have a certain percentage of transparency.
                        Also in order to be able to tell which squads the orders are originating from, the orders still maintain that line that derives from the SL the same way you see your own orders, and direction of them, in your minimap.
                        Focused

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X