No announcement yet.

Boosting performance on Widescreen monitors

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting performance on Widescreen monitors

Been using a little trick for about a month now and it works pretty well. Just something to consider if you have a widescreen monitor....

The native resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050 (16:10), but I've started running BF2 at 1400x1050 (4:3). That isn't a native resolution for any card/monitor I know of so you'll likely have to add the resolution manually in the advanced settings for your video card. After that, you'll also need to disable image-scaling (set it to centered), so that the monitor/videocard don't stretch the 1400x1050 frame to cover the 1680x1050 screen - which obviously would defeat the whole purpose.... (if you're on a laptop, you'll need to do this in your BIOS as well as your monitor settings.

Here are a few benefits:

1) HW Performance: 1400x1050 has 17% fewer pixels to render than 1680x1050. That's a quick and easy way to boost performance... if you were around 50fps widescreen, you should see almost 60fps at 4:3. (Note: I don't know for sure how bf2 renders widescreen frames - if it renders a full 4:3 frame and then discards the top and bottom pixels, or if it's optimized to truly only render the pixels on the screen. I assume it's optimized, but if not [if behind the scenes it renders at 1680x1260 in order to display 1680x1050], then this would yield an even greater difference [32% 50fps->66fps])

2) Visual Quality: BF2 doesn't handle wide-screen well... Instead of rendering more pixels off to the side, it just clips off the top and bottom of the 4:3 frame. It then stretches graphics like the HUD and menu - so circles become ovals, etc... in short, it looks blurry less sharp. Rendering at 4:3 fixes that... and using a custom resolution let's you run at the largest 4:3 frame possible for your display. Plus, you have the option of spending the gained FPS (realized from #1 ^^^) on some higher video settings, making thinks look more realistic.

3) Performance on the ground: This is debatable, but for me, it helps having the same information spread over a slightly smaller physical space - as my eyes don't have to sweep as great an area. Originally I was thinking 16:10 would help - that chopping off the top and bottom of the frame would help focus attention on the middle of the frame where all the action is. While this is true, the drawback is that you need to look left and right more - It's a personal thing, so if that works for you :icon14: heh.. or maybe I just need to sit further back from my monitor ;)

4) Performance in the air:
    I find that widescreen presents the biggest problem while flying. Loosing the top and bottom of the screen reduces your vertical visibility by about a 1/6th... which reduces your situational awareness - since targets & obstacles are above and below you, not just along the horizon like when your on the ground. Not a big deal usually, but if you're trying to operate in a tight space, flying nap-of-the-earth or landing in urban/wooded areas for example, you want every bit of visibility & SA you can get.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed