PR exceeding 2Gb X86 process limit...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR exceeding 2Gb X86 process limit...

Ok, I just found out why I am crashing to desktop every 2nd or 3rd round... It seems that BF2.exe uses over 2Gb of RAM when loading the second or third map.

Before I read the above link, I tried everything to stop this from happening... from upgrading/replacing RAM to a complete OS reinstall, all for nothing :(. I run everything maxed out at 1680x1050, AA 6x but I can't be the only one bothered with this right? Don't tell me you all have a 64bit system.

The above fix applies to Vista so I have no idea whether this will work for XP, I 'm guessing not. Does anyone know if there 's a solution for XP.
    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Re: PR exceeding 2Gb X86 process limit...

is your virtual memory set to match your ram ammount?

start>control panel>system>advanced>performance settings>advanced>

/I still crash when I load my own private local servers, which started with 0.6 and I crash every now and then in game between maps...usually fixed by rejoining our server or someone else's server before I rejoin ours.

Why it crashes? My guess is during map load it is un-zipping quite a few files for each map and storing them into memory. Perhaps there is not enough memory available like you said, or perhaps it can't process the .zip files as fast enough (processor speed).

I tried defragmenting drive and that seemed to help some, as well as clearing out all temporary files from your BF2 subfolders.
    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I honestly don't think PR should be using that much...looks like a memory leak.

You can add a switch to windows boot that allows programs to use more than 2 GB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

ControlPanel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings

In the first line there is the boot parameters...just add /3GB to the end.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

I Googled on this and found some interesting info.

@ Warehouse: I think my virtual memory is configured properly, as I just did a complete reinstall to XP Pro. I also cleared all the temp/cache folders.

@ JAMerica: That 's what I thought, it shouldn't be using over 2 gigs of RAM. I 'm gonna install a taskmanager app for my G15 tonight so I can monitor BF2 's memory usuage and see if it actually exceeds 2 Gb.

Btw is anyone else running AA 6x?

Comment

If you want to confirm bf2.exe uses up over 2GB, you can set-up a performance counter (see attached zip file for screenies of steps). First, start bf2, then alt-tab (as long as bf2.exe is running, you don't need to login, load a map or anything):

1- Right click my computer, select manage.
          2- Expand «performance logs and alerts», select «counter logs». In the right hand side window, right click to pop-up the menu and select «New Log Settings»
          3- You will be prompted for a name (I called my example bf2). You might be prompted to create a directory if c:\perflogs does not exist, say yes.
          4- Next, you configure the counter. Click add counter.
          5- Select «local computer counters», under «performance objects», select «process», «select counters from a list», and «select instances from a list». The counter you want is called «private bytes». Highlight the counter, then highlight bf2.exe in the list of instances (my example iexplore.exe). Click add, click close.

5a- You can choose the sampling interval, I picked 1 second.
          6- Under the tab «log files», you can select the file type. Select comma delimited.
          7- Under schedule, select «manually start» and «manually stop», click «OK»
          8- Highlight your bf2 log and Click the "play arrow" to start logging.

Close the computer management window, play BF2.

Once you're done, you want to stop logging. So open up computer management, navigate to the bf2 log, and click the «stop» button.

You can then navigate to c:\PerfLogs and you will find a «bf2_00000x.csv file (they are just numbered sequentially). Open it using notepad, or Excel (see screenie step9.jpg). The value shown are in bytes. 2GB =2147483648 bytes.

You will then know if BF2 uses up more than 2GB.

edit: When you select the column called «VM Size» in task manager, the value shown is private bytes in kilobytes).

DB
          Attached Files

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You dont need anything so complex, just do ctrl alt tab and look for peak commit charge.

I was testing 1600x1200 the other day myself and it uses significantly more memory then 1200x960. I saw something approaching 2.5gig on high settings.
            Its 1.9 million pixels vs only 1.1 million, then you need to multiply that load by number of frames per second and 24 bit colour. You are asking alot, if you want things to be perfect with such high demands then you need 3 gig or at least a 512meg video card

Thats me playing just now on the lower of those res.

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
            I honestly don't think PR should be using that much...looks like a memory leak.

I used to think that but its not. Its because the graphics card is failing to hold all the textures by itself so what happens is main memory is used instead and the excess is added onto the bf2 engine memory footprint.
            If you have a 512meg video card then your bf2 process will use 384meg less then someone with an identical setup & a 128meg video card (I have a 256meg card)

If you alt tab out of a live game you can see this effect in action, the pagefile graph will drop by the amount of texture memory presently used.
            Like the peak above is 2.1gig, if I alt tabbed out the total or present commit charge would be something like 1.8gig. The difference is all down to excess textures stored in main memory. They get flushed when its not in use and have to be loaded back in when you alt tab back to the game which will give you some jerkiness

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
              You dont need anything so complex, just do ctrl alt tab and look for peak commit charge.
              Correct. However, peak commit charge = all processes. The 2GB limit is applicable to individual processes. I guess it depends on what you're looking for :)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Thing is I cant remember encountering such a limit but maybe I will test out those settings to see later. I would just suggest using windows update and also setting the pagefile to a fixed length of 1 gig.

I use this version : Windows XP Professional: 4 GB

and I always have so maybe thats why Ive not seen this problem..

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                  I used to think that but its not. Its because the graphics card is failing to hold all the textures by itself so what happens is main memory is used instead and the excess is added onto the bf2 engine memory footprint.
                  If you have a 512meg video card then your bf2 process will use 384meg less then someone with an identical setup & a 128meg video card (I have a 256meg card)
                  I have an MSI X1950 Pro PCI-E with 512mb... I bought the 512mb version especially for this high resolution.

Also, 4Gb of RAM is a waste when you run XP Pro X86, that 4th Gb will only be used if you run XP Pro X64, 32bit version will never use more than 3Gb, which is what I have.

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                  Correct. However, peak commit charge = all processes. The 2GB limit is applicable to individual processes. I guess it depends on what you're looking for :)

DB
                  Exactly, I only need BF2 's peak...

I tried what you explained above but got kicked after the 2nd map for being inactive I think (no time to play tonight). I will give it another shot when I can actually play.

What 's the best size setting for Virtual Memory when you have 3Gb Ram? I changed it to 4092-8184 in stead of 2046-4092.

Comment

MS says 1.5x your real ram but I think 1gb is fine.

Im trying dicks instructions now and bf2 process is not rising above 1.4gig, it definetly has high overheads then.

I have the same graphics card almost, x1950pro 256mb and 2.25gig of main ram. Im running it at 1600x1200 with everything on full with 6x AA and its still working fine. However its not 100% perfect for helicopter flying so I'll probably turn it down later but its still impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post

What 's the best size setting for Virtual Memory when you have 3Gb Ram? I changed it to 4092-8184 in stead of 2046-4092.
                      Ah, the infamous page file size! Even the MS developpers don't agree on this and many things about windows :)

Mine is set to windows managed (I have 3GB ram, so it ends up being 1.5 that size on both my drives). I have oodles of drive space, so I don't care. Some say that setting a fixed size works better. If you look at your page file size while BF2 is running, you'll find that it will be equal to the current commit charge. Some argue that the page file should always have 25% free space. If you want this, make your page file equal to the peak commit charge x 1.25. If you have ample disk space, your setting is good.

DB
                      Last edited by Dick Blonov; 08-20-2007, 10:12 PM.

| |

Comment

While Ive had this 6x AA on its crashed to desktop twice now. It sure is pretty but Im gonna force no aa now

Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I run Pr with all graphic settings maxed out and it only uses 1.6GB of memory.
                          |TG-Irr| Argentinedude

sigpic

Comment

@Ghost Dog.This is bf2.exe usage (in megabytes), Qwai river, 1280x1024, all high except textures medium. The timeline is before launching PR to flying LB across the map, and quitting game:

DB

| |

Comment

Medium textures helps reduce memory alot I found.

Meanwhile Ive managed to replicate your problem perfectly, every other map the dam game crashes while loading a map.
                              Ive allready forced no AA at driver level but the game itself wont let me change the 6x setting so Ive edited the video.con file manually
                              Plus Im going to wipe out the cache as that often helps random problems like this.
                              I'll report back if that helps

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X