Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystified by PR performance, can anyone explain this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystified by PR performance, can anyone explain this?

Yesterday I played PR on 800*600 resolution, AA off, everything else except effects and terrain on low. I had the usual problem of getting 15 fps when I'm around lots of players and in certain areas. Makes me as dangerous as a bunny in cqb :/.

Now today, I play on 1125*xxxx res, 6xAA, Yet I see NO DIFFERENCE at all, while having the impression of a smoother game (In busy areas I still went to 15FPS). This smoother game COULD be caused by the better graphics seeming smoother. But still, one would think that such a huge difference in resolution and xAA would have SOME impact on the FPS counter.

-Does anyone have a clue what is happening here? It seems the PR performance is largely independent of my settings.
    -Also I am wondering, why always the 15 FPS? In busy areas it is always at 15, with a rare 16 to 20, but never 14?

This is more a matter of interest to me then hoping for a fix, because it will surely be something about the hardware.

System: 2 GHz P4 (board: intel brookdale i845d)
    2gb ddr Sdram
    ati X1650 pro (512 mb)i

Re: Mystified by PR performance, can anyone explain this?

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
    -Does anyone have a clue what is happening here? It seems the PR performance is largely independent of my settings.

My guess, your bottleneck is CPU/memory bus.

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
    Also I am wondering, why always the 15 FPS? In busy areas it is always at 15, with a rare 16 to 20, but never 14?
    Do you have vsync on ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Al--thats weird.........you'd think the opposite would be true. your report paralles something weird that the Arma community has found--boosting resolutions and settings in Arma has actually boosted FPS for some players.

Wish I could help more. Haven't played too much on .6 but when I did It seemed chopper than .5. Ive read that .6 requires more from the system and many players had to turn settings down to get similar performance from .6 as they did from .5.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the input already.

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
        My guess, your bottleneck is CPU/memory bus.

Do you have vsync on ?

DB
        I was going to say off, but then I realized that it is on "off, unless application specifies". So I've set it to "always off" now. I didn't count on the possibility that BF2 may have it turned on by default. Also trying to set PR as a high priority, although I've never had that do much, probably because I always close everything else that is running.

Comment

I'd say the cpu also might be a factor but the bf2 engine doesnt take much to run unless alot of complex vehicles are on screen - tanks are most demanding

Smoke will drop fps tons and in pr the tanks kick up a smoke trail behind them and also when they fire.
          Even on a x1950pro I will see my fps drop from 100 to as low as 20 if theres alot of smoke

Record your fps with fraps.com

Try a google for omega drivers too

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

That definitely looks like a CPU bottleneck to me.
            sigpic

Comment

Whats the superpi time of a 2ghz pentium 4. Were they that much slower then the athlons

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X