Dual Core and BF2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Core and BF2

There is an issue with dual core processors and BF2. This issue has been around for a while but not many people I have talked to are aware of it. Many that have had these issues have blown them off to just be their crappy Internet or some other reason.

If you get disconnected after joining a server or cannot keep a connection very long then this might be your fix if you are running a duel core machine. Even if its not consistent and only happens some nights but when it happens it happens constantly.

Some of you might know this but I suspect most do not as I did not. In any event here is a thread that I hope helps some people who like me was frustrated by disconnects but had a hard time finding the right solution.

To fix the issue I have found 2 options that work for me. The first is to alt tab out of game and then ctrl alt delt to bring up the task manager. Right click on BF2 and set the affinity to just 1 processor.

The other fix is a little software tool that AMD has put out. This is what I am now doing as it makes things a lot simpler. Itís called a Dual Core Optimizer and can help with the issue for some people. Here is a link to the software.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Re: Dual Core and BF2

Just an AMD problem, right? I have an Intel core-Duo, and don't have this problem.

Comment

Not sure if its AMD only but mine is AMD. It also does not seem to cause the issue with everyone for some reason.

Comment

I have an intel dual core and have developed this problem recently.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I am almost positive that the AMD DC optimizer is only for certain socket 939 chips. Also, if you have done the MS hotfix that targets the timing, you don't want to run the AMD solution. Now that this is out there, I'll look up some notes tonight. I don't remember all the tricks from when I was messing with this stuff a year ago, but there were tricks involved.
          OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

939 chips were dual core? This software was just released in Aug of this year. So far it has worked awesome for me. There is always the option to just disable a core while playing BF2.

Comment

That optimizer has been around in one form or another for a long time, and I'm not sure it's actually changed, even though they seem to "update" the release date. Yes, many 939s were dual core. Optys (1xx series) and the old X2s all were dual core. I still run mine...

ed: not all the Optys were DC... But as for what the AMD fix does exactly, I'm saying from memory right now, and I don't remember it all that well. If it's working that's good, but I wouldn't put it on without some idea of what's gonna happen, exactly.

Comment

I have a dual core 939 4400x2.Been using the software for at least a year.Never had this problem.

Comment

OK: I can't see any reason why not to run the AMD DCO if you have an AMD chip AND you have not done one of the MS hotfixes (which involve simple registry tweaks, and almost certainly nobody has done.) I think the AMD DCO uninstalls cleanly, so there is no downside to trying it, and it does seem to be helping some guys.

That said, I had to check my machine to see what I had ended up running, and that is nothing: no MS hotfixes, no AMD DCO. I could not find my paper notes, and this is the sum total of the textfile where I compiled my verdict after messing with this stuff/benchmarking for some time- I think I was frustrated:

"Conscencus is, nobody knows.

Try installing dual core driver 1.3.2 and then optimizer.

AMD DC Driver installs a \usepmtimer switch in the BOOT.INI file.
                  I have tried with and without it.

(How To...)
                  From a clean install:
                  1. AMD drivers
                  2. Hotfix
                  3. Hotfix Regedit
                  4. AMD DC Optimizer

done."

See how that wasn't that helpful?

I would very definitely not install MS hotfixes alongside the AMD DCO.
                  If you are having trouble with an Intel DC chip, you might try the MS hotfixes only (and only one at a time.) I have some relevant links if anyone cares.

Comment

Its just a shame that this is even an issue and so many different people have these issues but for different reasons. It is so frustrating and for me, I am just really happy I have found a method that works.

Comment

I just right click my Bf2.exe and click affinity, and use one cpu and set it to high priority.

Comment

I have a dual quad core Xeon system (Apple Mac Pro). Does this problem apply to me?
                        Thanks
                        Alan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...