ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 2600 XT issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 2600 XT issues

Hi, i just got my new card as shown in the title and i am having lots of problems. First off, in battlefield 2, i am getting LOTS of lag spikes and lag "waves" as i call them because when they come it pretty much takes away all vision. Ill show you a picture of what hapens.

[media]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8057/screen007uh0.jpg[/media]

This is in the Project Reality mod. I have all my settings on low in the picture. In my Catalyst Control Center, i have no idea what the settings should be, although i have mine set on factory default. If anyone knows what the problem is or what their settings are in CCC for bf2, if you could tell me that would be great.

Also, i was playing COD4 in single player when all of a sudden, it stop loading, froze and then my screen went black and my monitor lost connection to the video card completly. I have no idea what is wrong so if you could help me out that would be great.

I also would like to know what the newest drive version is for the card because the packaging version was 8.4 and the updates i found were 7.12? Is this the right one or should i set my driver version back to what it was in the box?

If you could help me that would be great.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 2600 XT issues

hmmm i had a simialar problem with my 8800 with crysis. i returned it now everything is working fine

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
    Delta MICS
    Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

what do u mean returned it? Cause i origionally bought an 8800 but my mother board didnt support it. Anyway, i fixed the problem with it crashing and now the only problem lies in BF2.
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Comment

Ok let me begin, you said you switched from a 8800 GT to an ATI 2600 XT HD?
        If your answer is yes then ask yourself did you reformat?

Over the years I've learned that its best to do a complete hard drive reformat whenever I switch graphic card manufacturers to avoid file system conflicts.

Make sure when you reformat install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, processor driver (if needed) , video drivers (install the latest omega or catalyst drivers, forget the CD drivers), audio drivers, input drivers (mouse, keyboard if needed) , other drivers , etc... (best in that order most of the time)

Comment

I have an older ATI card that does this constantly, well about every 2-3 weeks it will start doing it. I had the card RMA'ed 3 times due to this problem and finally ATI had me use older drivers. It helped a little but still is the same, called ATI up agian and said it was still acting up and all they said was reinstall the drivers. So that is the only way I know of that may help your problem.
          I have heard a few people complain about Nvidia cards doing this and the majority seem to get their cards RMA'ed and that seems to have taken care of their problems. With ATI I believe it is all driver issues.
          Just try reinstalling the drivers again and see if that helps. Just install the drivers not the catalyst program, hint from the ATI tech as well. The catalyst program just uses more RAM to run and everything that it can do you can do anyway just need to search around for the settings to do it whereas the catalyst program has it all on one convenient location.

I also agree with adding just about any new peice of hardware I like to reformat and do a fresh install for the best perfomance I can get with minium BS being on the computer for conflicts.

For my particular older ATI card I have to use 7.8 drivers to get ALL the games I play to run. Some games will not even start up with 7.9 or newer. Oblivion is one of them.

Edit:
          My next card will be Nvidia, most games are designed to run with Nvidia cards anyway. Always see the splash screen on game startup that reads and sometimes says "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played" pop up on the screen. Only a few games were ever designed with ATI cards solely in mind. Doom3 was one that I know of.

Comment

Yeah i completely agree with you guys about the reformat, but i had a new hard drive in, as i put in the ATI card. I put it all in on the same day. New hard drive and new card.

Well last night i completely dumped the card drivers and catalyst program. But instead of getting 7.12 alone with no catalyst program, i thought why would i want 7.12 instead of 8.4 which is the factory driver? Last time i heard, when they updated drivers, they were higher numbers. Wouldnt going to 7.12 down grade the drivers? So im gonna go on bf2 and see what it is like now with factory drivers and no CCC. Ill update when im done playing.

BTW it is only bf2 still that i have probs with. COD4, Company of Heroes and all my other games run just fine.
            sigpic

Comment

BF2, plus any mod for BF2, and Oblivion are the games that get effected by this crap. Still since I know reinstalling the drivers again helps it really isn't a huge issue for me, just a nuisance. 7.12 is supposed to be the latest driver you can get, I have 7.8 drivers installed right now from a fresh install and when I look in the device manager under hardware and click the details this is the version it shows up for me, 8.401.0.0. This is actual driver that is installed but ATI uses the 7.12, 7.11, etc... numbers for the entire Catalyst install. If it is just plain 8.4 then you might have 7.7 catalyst drivers, not the latest.

Comment

Yeah but this time after i installed it, it actually works better then before. Even without Catalyst. There is no CCC in my computer what so ever. Just factory drivers. It seems to work fine so, its all good. For now that is i bet it will not work in like a week.

I guess thats computers for ya. Thanks guys
                sigpic

Comment

I say about 2-3 weeks anyway. You may get lucky and it work longer before needing to reinstall again OR maybe not need to reinstall again. I still have a gut feeling it may be slight malfunctions with our cards and ATI just doesn't want to admit to it or the companies replace them.

Comment

Yeah, although my old card the 9600 All in wonder card was a good card. I never had probs with it except it couldnt run good on high graphics. Except it was one of those cards with a TV tuner and that never worked. An i always got an error saying TV2 A/V t200 video stream driver was corrupt, other wise it was a good card. I thought about getting an 8500 at one point, the Nvidia equivilent to my card, but i read it wasnt as good as this one i have.
                    sigpic

Comment

i owned ATI for years gijoe and swore by them,,, but then i went to the darkside :) :)

alot of times you have ro remove everything that was installed, and i thought that was just deleting the Catalist file from the add remove programs being thats what they said to do... well turns out i think its in the ATI download page i think it was called Catalist remover. it was a program that wipe all the drivers and the catalist program a driver remover. sometimes not all are removed with add remove programs because it saves certain thing,, like personal setting and such.

so i would say use a driver remover next time you have the problem...

and yes you did the right thing when it came to Catilist, just a buncha extra stuff you will never use if you know your way around a graphic card :) that all i ever did was download the display driver, alot smaller program and if you download the ATI tool you will also be able to overclock and check temps with it also. just google ATI TOOL and you will find it, fantastic program m8...

Comment

ATI makes good cards they just need to get their heads out of their bums and make good drivers. I really believe that is what is hurting ATI and the lack of really keeping a card on the market to compete with Nvidia. Seems like whenever ATI gets a card to compete against them Nvidia just pulls out their latest card design they had laying around already and markets it. Seems like Nvidia is always a step ahead of ATI no matter how hard they try.

Comment

Well thats the difference between price and quality..

But i will try that ATI tool thing out, thanks for that. :)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                            ATI makes good cards they just need to get their heads out of their bums and make good drivers..
                            never a more true statement made.

I was an ATI guy for years! but switched to NVIDIA, and I'll never go back. As a Computer Support person nothing is more frustrating than a visit to the ATI web site to 'find' the correct driver for your card. especially old cards!! I get to work on alot of peoples computers who don't game, or buy high level cards... and trying to navigate ATI.com was always a mess...

and Driver updates through windows break more things than they fix. I buy on the cheap for myself, so I hope my 7900 GS lasts a bit longer. :)
                            Park Bench

Doing laps of Lumber Yard, waiting impatiently for another POE Scrim.

sigpic

Comment

Ok well here is my updated version of this thread. FOUND: the problem. My mother board runs its PCIE slot at only 4x speed while the graphics card runs at 16x. So the computer kept giving me black screens and fag lag spikes because it was to fast for the computer to handle. Although i just bought my motherboard yesterday, i will put it in, format my HD, install the OS install BF2/PR and get back to you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X