Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BF2 VOIP Solution for Realtek HD (mic not working)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 VOIP Solution for Realtek HD (mic not working)

(If any of this is unclear, Please post why and I will do my best to help)

For those that are having problems with the VOIP, With the Realtek HD Audio, This was my problem/solution:

Whenever i tried to use VOIP in BF2/PR i was always told i was 'Barely audible', yet whenver i used my mic outside of BF2, it was fine. After playing around in control panel, i got to the Audio page, but the 'Advanced' tab where i have been told to boost my mic was grayed out (Very Frustrating).

Now, at this point it seems appropriate to mention that i'm running XP SP2 (Incase the following directions are elsewhere with other OS's)

In Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, Thier's a Control Panel Icon that's called ' Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager ' - Click it, then choose the Mixer tab.

Now, See the "<" and ">" buttons on the top row, named Playback? This is misleading because the section's labeled "Realtek HD Audio output", when you'd expect to find the microphone volume control in the input section — where it's again frustratingly grayed out, or unmoveable. Don't worry, keep clicking ">" until you see "Mic Volume". The first time you go there, the volume slider will probably be set at the bottom, and possibly Muted (As mine was). Drag that all the way up to the top, or whever you find appropriate after testing in BF2 (Sorry, Theres no perfect level that it should be set to, that'll be definded by your Mic). If applicable, you may want to do the same for "Front Pink In", or whatever the relevant name is (Such as Front Line), which should correspond with the front mic jack on your computer's case.

If you want to boost the mic further (Not reccomended until you have tried out with the volume slider up, as this caused a lot of static on mine - Although admittedly, It's a cheap Mic)

Click the ".." button at the bottom of the Mic Volume slider, next to the Mute button. You'll see this is where the "Microphone Boost" option is - This is where i mentioned earlier it should be in the Audio/Playback page

Optional: If you hear a lot of hiss and white noise when recording, you may find it helpful to mute non-active inputs. In the bottom section, click the little speaker icons for "CD Volume", "Line Volume", and "Stereo Mix" so they've got red X's. Some of these may be labelled different, but as I can't see your screen, I cant say which ones they'll be! As i said above, un-boosting the Mic might also be a good idea until you've decided whether the increased volume alone is enough.

I hope this helps anyone, and as i said, If it's unclear, feel free to ask.

Llama
    Last edited by Llamakill; 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM.

Re: VOIP Solution for Realtek HD

omg, if this actually works, it would be the best first post EVER!!

(welcome llama!)

Comment

Thanks Whiskey, I've been searching for a solution for a while, and this seemed like it works - Hope it's helped.

Note: When i first did this, it took me a while to get the threshold in BF2 correct, as i had put the volume TOO high, and so was creating alot of static. Play around with it a bit, and it should be fine.

Llama

PS. Think i should post it on the official BF2 forums for the small minority that actually have Mic's?

Comment

first try didn't work.... I can hear the mic through the speakers, but BF2VoiceSetup.exe doesn't register anything. A couple questions:

1) I don't have a "Mic Volume" in the list, do you mean "Rear Pink In"? I plugged my mic in there, unmuted it, enabled Mic Boost, and turned the volume all the way up.

2) Did you use BF2VoiceSetup.exe?

Comment

OMG IT WORKS!!!

BF2VoiceSetup.exe doesn't register anything, but I joined the server and people could hear me!!! OFFICIALLY the best first post EVER!!! Thanks holmes! :icon14: :icon14:

Comment

Just woke up, No - BF2SetupVoice.exe (Whatever it's called) didn't register anything, it never has for me so i just ignore it :)

On the 'Mic Volume' question, It'll probably be different on different PC's due to different sound cards/motherboards (I'm not the most technical person in the world, so whatever it is that causes the difference :))

Comment

Re: BF2 VOIP Solution for Realtek HD

Ok - so it turns out you should mute the mic in playback. When I had that cranked, I was getting problems. Now it's apparently working great! Here's my current setup:

Comment

Re: BF2 VOIP Solution for Realtek HD (mic not working)

Thanks, I wasn't sure if i was allowed to post pictures, as several other forums don't allow it >.>

Comment

I think im running into the same problem as you Whiskeysix except im in vista64. Does anyone have a working fix for the vista version of Realtec?

Comment

Re: BF2 VOIP Solution for Realtek HD

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                    Ok - so it turns out you should mute the mic in playback. When I had that cranked, I was getting problems. Now it's apparently working great! Here's my current setup:

January 19 2009. I just had the same problem, and it was fixed. Consider this thread a solution.
                    ''I'm on a mission from god''

-Elwood Blues

Comment

I had a problem with it too I thought..... but then I realised I had to hit the 'B' button to talk. What a newb.

Any suggestions on a better VOIP key other than B?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarface6174 View Post
                        I had a problem with it too I thought..... but then I realised I had to hit the 'B' button to talk. What a newb.

I use F12 for TS....And have the B key bound to my G9 Mouse
                        sigpic
                        "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

when i installed bf2 i skipped the mic calibration thing because i didnt have one at the time. does that have an effect? because ive done whats above. its practically all the way up but people are still saying they can barely hear me. also, does the mic boost thing in the settings do anything?

Comment

Tried these suggestions and when I unchecked the mic boost in my sound preferences it made my BF2 in-game finally seemed to work again!!!!!!!!!:row__631:

Thanks,

Zzzzzip

:icon_frow
                            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, the mic problem continues. I thought I had it settled, but I still start the game with a mic, then I loose it somewhere between the end of the round and the beginning of a new round. Symptoms; static heard by my teamates, while mic in teamspeak works fine as well as no problems in other games. Restart of BF2 and/or PC sometimes helps, for a round or two, then problem comes back.

I also noticed Tuesday night that a few others are having the same syptoms - these folks had no problems up until the last week or so.

Is there a conflict with BF2 and onboard audio? Has there been a Windows update that may have conflicts with certain sound drivers? Those are my initial theories.

I'm going to install a new Soundcard this week to see if it makes a difference.

Feedback always welcomed,

-Zip

:icon_frow
                              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X