Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Norton Internet Security and Punkbuster at war?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Norton Internet Security and Punkbuster at war?

Hi
    For the first time in a long time I enjoyed a few good games of PR at the TG server last weekend. When I tried to play again today, I ran into problems.

After I loaded the game, at or shortly after initial spawn, the game crashes in one way or another. After switching a little bit back between vanilla BF2, Forgotten Hope and Project Reality it appears this problem halfway went a way, and I finally could walk into a Forgotten Hope map. For 35 seconds or so, and then I get kicked because PnkbstrB.exe heartbeat has stopped.

In the process of starting up Project Reality or Forgotten Hope I am often interrupted by irritating dialog boxes from Norton asking me if I want to allow BF2 (some module, often a temp file) access to the interweb. I answer "allow" every single time but it is not impossible I might have done wrong at some point here and answered "block". However I cannot see this in Norton Internet SEcurity, but in the logfile I see that Norton killed Pnkbstr and this and that Punkbuster related process at some point jsut when my game crashes.

Anyone familiar with this problem and knows about solutions? I looked at evenbalance.com but couldn't find anything really useful. (The only solution I can think of right now is ditch Vista 32, install XP and try again without Norton - but I do hope something a little less drastic is possible.)
    Ingame nick, project reality: bbble

Re: Is Norton Internet Security and Punkbuster at war?

dump norton...

download http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...dlPid=10891365
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

(sigh)I wish I could...deinstalling that is harder than the worst spyware ever (/sigh)

I am going to give it a try maybe later today. It would be nice to find some time for quality gaming this weekend.

Comment

backup important stuff, Format then pick either AVAST! or AVG add to that easy to install/uninstall Spyware programs Like SpyBlaster, SpySweeper, SpyBot search and destroy, and AdAware sure takes more space then Norton but NEVER had an issue with punkbuster heartbeat and they are easy to update and remove as well as being FREE!
        |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
        BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
        Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

To make sure the program is totally ripped out, use Revo Uninstaller.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Hi guys I did some more research and found out that the problem seems to be the real time memory scanning in norton. It appears to see some of punkbuster's activity as something like an intrusion attempt and stops the 'intrusion' by killing off the 'offending process'. In this case, it seems to be the punkbsuter B service. After that, I get kicked from the game because my punkbuster heart stops beating.

I see now that by disabling this realtime scanning I don't get these problems and I also thinks the framerate might have a slight improvement. If only I remember to turn the antivirus back on when I am done :)

Comment

Use this to remove norton products Bubble..

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
              sigpic
              "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Avast wont give you any problems.....give it a try its free.

http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-E...dlPid=10888427
                sigpic
                "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse