Texture corruption problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texture corruption problems

I was just playing, and all of a sudden the ground turns to sky, and the game slows to a crawl. I've had this happen a few times and don't know what's causing it. I have the lastest nvidia drivers, and I've got a gforce 6600, 3200 athlon 64 with a gig of ram. There really shouldn't be any problems with this set up.

Tried a couple more game on different servers...five minutes of play...ground turns to water textures, I can see pilots flying invisible choppers. Frame rate drops to less than 5 fps.
    Last edited by TG Spudboy; 06-21-2005, 10:04 PM.

Re: Texture corruption problems

Update your drivers.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Yes, I mentioned in the post that I'm using the latest drivers, the ones that came with the demo. Unless, they already released new ones since then?

Comment

Hah. Sorry, did not read everthing apparently. I think there are even NEWER beta drivers out there somewhere. Maybe try them?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

If you have the latest drivers, consider de-fragging your hard drive. I've seen that suggested numerous times.

kedge

Comment

ive also seen alot of people talk about the amd processors causeing problems....it could be the 64 bit...ill do some looking and get back with you...
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

That is an overclocking topic.

Comment

yah i relized that after i posted then procedded to read the entire post....
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

edit* Ok, found the answer to my question. :)
                  It's all in the Reflexes.

Comment

Just updating your graphics drivers is not always the thing to do - in fact it could make it worse. Generally for gfx drivers the old adage of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' certainly applies, and unless you have general problems with gfx then it is not always likely to be a driver issue. In fact (shock horror) sometimes it is even worth checking out older drivers (which can be more stable if of a lower performance as they do not have the level of optimization that is put into newer drivers to eek every last fps out of them to look good in benchmarking). Also always get manufacturer drivers over general drivers (so for example I have a Radeon made by Hercules, so I would get a Hercules driver and not one from ATI if possible).

Also if you do think it is a gfx driver issue then your best bet is to rebuild your system, installing the new gfx drivers after your chipset drivers and before anything else (as gfx drivers are notoriously pernickity).

The first thing you should do is try and debug the issue. Set all your gfx setitngs to a low resolution / detail and see if that rectifies the matter. If it does then step up certain things to locate the issue. For example it might be a problem caused by 6xAA (although 2xAA might be fine).

Other running prograqms such as speed monitors / virus scanners etc can cause this sort of problem as well (although more likely to just return an error / dump you out as opposed to just corrupting the gfx).

Obvously if you are overclocking then step back to factory settings (although I assume you are not).

Do you have any sort of temperature monitor? Although cpu temps are well regulated, memory and gfx boards are less so. Some RAM sticks can run quite hot under intense load, and this can screw up the instruction code. Similarly a hot gpu can nob ur gfx output. Heat issues can be diagnosed if the game has the same thing happen to it after the same period of time (ie always 6-8minutes), and if less intense settings still result in the same problem, just after a longer time (ie this drops it to 10-12minutes).

Can you give more details when you get them, (as you are right that your system should run this game with no problems) and we'll see what we can do.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was running it oc'd. I did this when I first started playing the demo, around 550-1.02, I would immediately get purple splotches on all the hills. I knew right away that it was artifacts from oc and dropped the oc to the point that I didn't have that anymore. The game ran fine for days. Then yesterday, I got this complete crawl with the ground texture turning into the water texture. I pulled back on the oc even more, to 536-1.0.
                      Both these settings tested as stable by the Gforce 'oc test'. (Well, the first time I checked for 'optimum' settings, and it went to 556-1.02, but that gave me the purple artifacts right away, so I pulled back)

I"m running the game at med settings, 2x aa, and the sound card set to 'hardware', eax enabled. Hopefully now, it should run okay. Defragging is not the problem as my drive is defragged on a weekly basis, or automatically whenever it gets over 1% fragmented.

Yes, temp monitor would be nice, but they do not come as an option with Gforce cards, or at least not the 6600gt. When I install temp software, it will just show those features as 'disabled'. I'm sure it was overheating at the point I went to a crawl.

Comment

BTW, new drivers from today:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.72.html

Comment

This won't help, but flying pilots without helo's would make a great screenshot. Can you post some?? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Dog
                            This won't help, but flying pilots without helo's would make a great screenshot. Can you post some?? :-)
                            I'll try. Maybe hang out on the runway. What was the screen shot key again?

Comment

Actually the prt sc key works great and there is a default dir made by BF2 that stores every shot you take automatically. Pretty cool.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X