Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio settings DO affect your video performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Audio settings DO affect your video performance

    Audio settings are sometimes overlooked but they can have a significant impact on your video performance.

    If you have a sound card / chip that supports hardware rendering... use it. Software rendering uses your cpu cycles to process sound and will affect your performance.

    If you use software rendering, try lowering your sound quality. Also make sure to uncheck the EAX support if your card does not support this.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

    Question one, Whats EAX anyway?

    Question two, how do i know if my card supports hardware rendering?

    Qestion three, well, i know about how Software rendering uses the CPU, so this is more of a statement. Thank you for disallowing me do overlook something that may make Bf2 run poorly.
    Oyee

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

      Originally posted by Black_V!per
      Question one, Whats EAX anyway?
      Environmental Audio Extensions. This is the trademark name for Creative Technology's audio API for their own range of sound cards. Initially developed to offer a reverb effect for all sounds; it has expanded to cover a range of audio features such as occlusions, reflection, or obstruction.

      Soundblaster -- About EAX
      Soundblaster -- EAX in Gaming
      Soundblaster -- EAX in BF2

      Question two, how do i know if my card supports hardware rendering?
      I believe only Soundblaster cards support EAX. Check www.soundblaster.com to see if you have an EAX supported card.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

        Well that sucks, SoundBlaster cards dont work on my new Mobo for some reason, i went through 3 new cards including the Audigy series and none of them workd...


        I had to settle for Chaintech's 7.1 Sound card with optical out.
        Oyee

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

          Do a google search and see if there are any patches, drivers, etc. that allows for EAX support for non-soundblaster cards. It's possible but I've never researched it.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

            Some sound cards support EAX2. However, a lot of new games use EAX HD, which Creative has a hold. Only Audigy cards support EAX HD.

            - It's who you game with.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

              Originally posted by Black_V!per
              Question two, how do i know if my card supports hardware rendering?
              Here is a partial list of sound cards that do not support hardware rendering. This is from the EA site.

              http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...i=&p_topview=1

              [volun]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

                And remember, if you ever click on the low, medium, or high quality global setting, it will default your audio settings back to software, as well.
                Telorn

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

                  I can vouch for this. I have an older sound card and had some initial problems with incossistent framerates with the retail version. I found setting the sound quality to low did the trick (software rendered). I honestly don't notice a huge difference in sound quality, but my fps is drastically improved since changing it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

                    Originally posted by mark1726
                    I can vouch for this. I have an older sound card and had some initial problems with incossistent framerates with the retail version. I found setting the sound quality to low did the trick (software rendered). I honestly don't notice a huge difference in sound quality, but my fps is drastically improved since changing it.
                    What speakers do you have and does your sound card support 5.1 channels? If you don't have the hardware, no, sound won't be much different. But I promise you, if you sat at my computer with the Klipsch 5.1 speakers and the Audigy 2 ZS, you won't want to go back. You trully feel like you are in those street battles when bullets are zinging by you and you hear them hitting the wall behind you...or the man behind you and hearing him scream to his death. It is astounding. The audio effects in this game are awesome with the right setup.
                    Telorn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

                      Originally posted by Telorn
                      What speakers do you have and does your sound card support 5.1 channels? If you don't have the hardware, no, sound won't be much different. But I promise you, if you sat at my computer with the Klipsch 5.1 speakers and the Audigy 2 ZS, you won't want to go back. You trully feel like you are in those street battles when bullets are zinging by you and you hear them hitting the wall behind you...or the man behind you and hearing him scream to his death. It is astounding. The audio effects in this game are awesome with the right setup.
                      I guess I don't have 5.1 support, never really noticed. I have a subwoffer and two little speakers, all of it came pre-packaged from dell in fall 2001 when I bought it. The other parts of my PC have been updated, but I left the sound alone. You now make me wonder how good this game sounds with good hardware.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

                        Originally posted by mark1726
                        I guess I don't have 5.1 support, never really noticed. I have a subwoffer and two little speakers, all of it came pre-packaged from dell in fall 2001 when I bought it. The other parts of my PC have been updated, but I left the sound alone. You now make me wonder how good this game sounds with good hardware.
                        It really can't be explained. I don't know if you have a home entertainment system with Dobly 5.1, but it would be equal to that. It would be like watching Blackhawk Down in the theater..or Saving Private Ryan. It has to be heard to be believed. But you are looking at a $500 investment. $150 for the Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 sound card and $350 for the Klipsch 5.1.

                        It is the most powerful 'multimedia' computer speaker out there. The sub is 2 8" woofers with 5 satellites. You can turn this sucker up to your heart's content and it will still sound crystal clear. I love it when I'm home alone and can crank this baby up with BF2. You really feel the shake of the tank fire or the weapon in your hand when you fire. Sound has a greater impact on realism than most people give it credit for. If you lived in Georgia I'd be more than happy to give you a demonstration :)
                        Telorn

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Audio settings DO affect your video performance

                          Originally posted by Killer_McDermott
                          Here is a partial list of sound cards that do not support hardware rendering. This is from the EA site.

                          http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...i=&p_topview=1
                          With a list like that, they should just list the sound cards that do work with hardware rendering.

                          - It's who you game with.

                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X