A mystery that even Scooby and the gang couldn't solve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mystery that even Scooby and the gang couldn't solve

Alright guys. Simply put: PR locks up my computer, randomly. It doesn't crash it, it causes my computer to slow down to the point where a slideshow moves faster. Not only does PR get affected, but my entire comp. I need to reboot when it does this. The weird thing is that once I am actually playing, it's fine. The occasionaly crash or two every other week, but that's normal. I tried mostly everything short of a voodoo witch doctor. I reinstalled, repatched, deleted the cache files. Nothing. I disabled my sound cards and ran off my USB headset, still nothing.

Some other things you should know is that after a few lockups, my settings are reset. As well as I've checked the event viewer and nothing crashes, stops or hangs up. It just...happens. This also never happens in any other game. I have no trouble with any of my games besides PR.

Specs and other data:
    - Using the steam version of BF2
    - Windows 7 64-bit
    - Intel i7 860 @ 2.80Ghz
    - ATI Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5
    - 4GBs RAM

Re: A mystery that even Scooby and the gang couldn't solve

I'm not sure I understand what exactly happens. walk me through the timeline.

Here's what I get:

-Computer works fine
    -You start PR
    -PR works fine
    -You're done with PR and close it
    -Computer is all slow and slideshowy.
    -takes a reboot

This last symptom says you've got something sucking resources. Have you tried letting it sit? I find my computer takes a while to unload and bring itself back to equilibrium after playing an intensive game.

Also, have you tried checking task manager to see if you can find the rogue process?

Comment

Alright, here's the rundown:

-Computer boots up, all dandy
      -Load up PR, log in.
      -Sitting in the menus/server browser(Always in the menus/server browser, never in-game or at the log-in) PR suddenly without warning(No screen-flashes, pop ups or error beeps) slows down considerably. It locks up. When I alt-tab my computer is still slow. Not slow as in it takes a little longer to open an application, I mean slow as in the pointer takes 5 minutes moving from one side of the screen to the other.
      -I reboot. Everything is back to normal, like nothing every happened.

I'll try and look at the task manager when it locks up again. Thanks for the help Riff.

Edit: I checked my Task Manager while PR was running. 0% CPU usage, and only 28% of my Physical Memory. But there's two System programs that start up when PR starts up. They run as httpd.exe *32 and are Apache HTTP server applications. So far it seems that ending those processes removes the slow down problem.

Edit again: Nevermind. Still locking up.
      Last edited by Axis_Sniper; 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Sounds like your comp has problems accessing your HDD. Might be that your pr files are corrupted or on a part which makes it difficult to acces.

I have experienced this with 7x64, not in games but with video's. The video were f'ed up and it locks down the comp. I suggest you remove bf2 and PR, do a checkdisk (in prompt on C:/type: chkdsk /f). Reinstall. Should be fixed.

Comment

Mr C:/ drive holds is my SSD which only holds windows and a few priority programs.

I ran chkdsk on my E:/ drive (Holds BF2 and PR) and got 0 bad sectors. I've reinstalled PR multiple times, but not BF2. Did a validation chck with Steam on BF2 and it found 1 missing/corrupted and it restored it. Gonna see if that fixed it.

Comment

Yeah, try to reinstall BF2 aswell, if that doesnt work you could try to install BF2+PR on your SSD (if you got the space)

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

I don't think you can install Steam games on different drives. If I can you're gonna have to teach me :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X