Gamepads???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamepads???

Have any of you tried flying with a gamepad, versus a joystick? I'm considering buying a gamepad to control planes/helos and was wondering what anyone's opinion was on how it controlled? I'd rather not get a joystick due to clunkiness on the desk.

Thanks for your input!
    Telorn

Re: Gamepads???

I use an old MS Sidewinder Joypad USB.

Four buttons.
    Two triggers.
    Two axes.

Nothing fancy, but people seem satisfied with my flying (palm trees aside).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've got a brand new Nyko Airflow, haven't really started using it yet. :icon_bigg

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        I've got a brand new Nyko Airflow, haven't really started using it yet. :icon_bigg
        Let me know how it goes.
        Telorn

Comment

Airflows are nice! My friend has an XBox one, and he brings it over for our frequent eight-player Halothons. Nothing worse than sweaty palms when gaming.(Except sweaty pits, but you didn't want to hear that)

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
            Let me know how it goes.
            Mine works ducky. I picked it up for Madden, and it's served me well over quite a variety of games (even HL2 when I was REAL lazy once; you can map the thing to keyboard commands pretty simply).
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
              Mine works ducky. I picked it up for Madden, and it's served me well over quite a variety of games (even HL2 when I was REAL lazy once; you can map the thing to keyboard commands pretty simply).
              So you find the analog sticks intuitive enough to fly the aircraft in BF2? Is it smooth or awkward? And which gamepad is 'yours'? :)
              Telorn

Comment

Well I decided to get a gamepad. I bought the logitec rumble 2 or whatever. I figured the rumble wouldn't work (which it doesn't with BF2), but I liked the feel of the gamepad more than the non-force feedback. At first, I did horrible with this thing. I'd be flying all over the place, unable to control it. But I lowered the sensitivity of the analog sticks and gave them a 30% deadzone, and I'm able to maintain control. I think I'll do well once I master the art of flying. I think it was a good purchase.

It took me forever to realize that while in a helo you don't have to maintain torq to maintain altitude. No wonder it was so hard to hover! heh. I still have some issues with keeping the helo from pitching forward or backward. I can't quite find the 'sweet' spot.
                Telorn

Comment

I have a Belkin's Nostromo SpeedPad n52. I really like it but I would say a joy stick would probably be better for flying.
                  The Old Guy
                  kin3
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kin3
                    I have a Belkin's Nostromo SpeedPad n52. I really like it but I would say a joy stick would probably be better for flying.
                    I use the n52 gamepad as well, when I'm infantry and driving vehicles. I use the dual analog gamepad for flying. I find it much easier than the keyboard setup
                    Telorn

Comment

Kind of raising a dead topic here, but just wanted to toss in my 2cents and ask a question. I just bought a Nostromo N52 today and was curious if you all have had luck mapping the wheel for throttle control? I fly with a Logitech X3D (which I really like btw), but reaching over to control the throttle with my left hand is a little cumbersome.

And on the note of a Gamepad vs Joystick. I have an AirFlo pad and my X3D stick. I can fly decently with the pad, but not nearly as smooth as I can with my stick. I bound the dual sticks like an RC plane setup (left - throttle/rudder; right - elevator / ailerons), but not having a "sticky" throttle along with short throws makes it cumbersome. Here's a basic pic for those of you who are un-familiar w/ RC stuff so you can see the resemblence:

Comment

How do you enable the gamepad in BF2? I mapped the Airflow over, but it isn't working.

Comment

There is a little check box on the NYKO software that you have to click for it to enable the joypad, sorry if you have checked it already. But I always like to check the simple things first. :)

However I have been having some issues with the pad. Haven't tried it with the helicopters or jets yet, but on foot and in cars it sucks. Has anyone else had similar issues that they were able to resolve?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X