10 years of Rainbow Six...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years of Rainbow Six...

Shameless self promotion... was really hoping Tactical Gamer would of done something like this, because i remember ALOT of great tactical action with the earlier versions... ;)

Completed article that just went up this AM, if your a fan of the series...let me know if there are any mistakes or missing information... hard to remember every game for ten years, lol...

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_105a.html
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: 10 years of Rainbow Six...

Great write-up, Mag. I like your writing style and I share your disdain for Ubisoft!

My most recent experience with the series was R6:V on the 360, but it didn't pull me in. It seemed like an action shooter wearing the clothes of a tactical shooter, so I couldn't convince myself that anything "tactical" I was doing was any better for me than if I just went run-and-gun. If I want to play an action shooter, I enjoy Call of Duty games more. They are more honestly action shooters, and I guess I just don't come into it with the expectation of it being anything more.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Another good article...thanks for the post. I still remember trying to get the first Rainbow on the PC installed. The Vegas series on 360 has been amazing, I can't wait for more.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I agree, good article. I never had the chance to play the previous Rainbow Six games, but I can understand why you don't like Vegas. It's sad to have the series you love become something different.

Comment

Very nice article.

I played and loved the first two games, rainbowsix and rogue spear, dam good times i had playing online in the microsof gamming zone lobies.... and then ubisoft just f**** it up!!!!

After those two, i buyed the first vegas (no demo :( ), and you know what? 3 weeks later i sold it to a friend for a couple of beers!

Besides the Silent Hunter series, i'm not buying any other ubish*** games.

EDIT: Don't remmenber if in the first was possible, but in rogue spear you could play via gamespy.
          Last edited by Jorge.PT; 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM.
          sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Nice stroll down memory lane. Enjoyed Rouge Spear for years; even fired it back up a year ago and played coop with my nephew. Had high hopes for Raven Shield and was frustrated by the lack of a SDK limiting what users could mod into the game. I tried Lockdown and was so disappointed I haven't bought a Rainbow Six game since.

Comment

And great memories indeed, I can't believe how ugly the first one was, it's not how i recalled it!
              |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

I am not sure how this thread slipped by me, but it’s worth another nod for anyone else that might have missed it. A fantastic retrospect, Magnum!

Oddly enough, I recently installed all the old titles from the original to Rogue Spear and had a blast wandering down Memory Lane. Just browsing the manuals was enough to make me realize just how much Ubisoft has changed the series. Speaking of manuals, the old ones were great and included a lot of material. They make the thin booklets included with the Xbox 360 version look like a joke.

It might be time to fire up Covert Ops Essentials and see how Tom Clancy’s version of counterterrorism holds up today.

Comment

God, I remember the first time I played R6 RS. I hoped onto a server and was instantly peeved with how fast I died and how long I had to wait to rejoin the action just to die instantly again. Then a few months later I played it again at a friends LAN party and fell in love with the R6 series. The last time I played a R6 title was briefly with R6: Vegas. Really didnt care for it at all. I miss the old RVS and Rogue Spear days. So many hours spent creeping and camping noobs. And yes, I said camping. Had my canvas tent and fire wood as a permanent part of my kit.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by Pfeil22 View Post
                    They make the thin booklets included with the Xbox 360 version look like a joke.
                    They ARE a joke.
                    Think about it; The game manuals these days hold more information on the story than they do about the actual gameplay, where as the game itself is used to introduce you to the gameplay VIA tutorial levels, rather than introducing the player to the story :row__642:
                    -

Comment

Good write-up Magnum. My friend and I still play Rainbow Six 3 on the Gamecube. I played the first Rainbow Six with my cousin, but everything was so crammed together that I couldn't tell what side of the screen was mine.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I was thinking back to my early days of Rogue Spear and Black Thorn last night. Remembering the ladders and the guys I gamed with. Then it hit me about Vegas. Its not a sim anymore. Its a run n gun just like 2142 or CS:S. The days of it being a true Tact:FPS are long gone and some might claim that it died when Raven Shield was released. Just my thoughts.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Ubisoft ruined R6.

The very LAST good R6 was Raven Shield.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                          The BigC

Comment

I'm still dreaming to see some courageous geek fellas resurrect rainbow six as a mod for some new game, like crysis. i'm an architect, and although don't know much about mapping, i know about architecture, so residential buildings, offices and so on, typical for a R6-style game could end up very life-like if some guys got interested in working on it. The name of the mod could even be similar to rainbow 6, like 'Blackmore's 7' (remember Ritchie Blackmore's RAINBOW??), due to royalties problems, hahahahahaha... XD

I feel so abandoned, and really, really wish to say LONG LIVE RAINBOW SIX!!!

But right now i just don't know anymore... i hope... =(

the way it became is just not worth the time anymore. Let children play and feel like pros, even being soooo far away from it...

Thanks a LOT, Magnum, for a retrospective that is just fair as this superb title demands.

peace

Comment

Originally posted by Clodhopper View Post
                              The game manuals these days hold more information on the story than they do about the actual gameplay...[/B]
                              I think it's the opposite: game manuals these days hold less info on the story (if there is even one) and more about possible/actual gameplay.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X