Tips & Tricks for New Squad Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips & Tricks for New Squad Players

Let's keep them short and focused on what helps people out in the first few rounds.

- Turn off "mouse smoothing" in settings, your twitch from PR is now restored.
    - Turn off MSAA in graphics, I got 20fps boost from this.
    - For night maps, turn up Gamma settings in graphics.

Read Rules and Join TS!
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...ak-Information
    Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Re: Tips & Tricks for New Squad Players

"For night maps, turn up Gamma settings in graphics"

We considered that as borderline cheating since the whole idea of night maps is reduced visibility.
    When NVG are introduced , that's a different matter because everyone will be on a level playing field. Turning up the gamma can give you an advantage hence the borderline cheating interpretation.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

It's hardly a cheat and it seems a bit harsh to call it one. Everyone has access to it. It's simple to press escape, go into the graphics settings, and adjust your gamma.

Raising yor gamma and something like an aimbot are two very different things. Would you call people that have monitors with crosshair overlay options built-in cheaters? To me, that is more of a gray area than simply raising your gamma.

Back to the topic though.
      - Always cover your flanks and keep a good spread. Enemy grenadiers and AT kits love to see infantry groupings and you can be 99% sure they will send an explosive round your way.
      - Save the last rally spawn for the SL if he is down and unrevivable. He can reset the rally when he respawned with 1 squad mate I'm the area alive.
      - Placing 2-3 FOBs around an objective on the larger maps is nearly always better than placing a single FOB on the objective.
      - 2 medics for a 9 person squad is always a good idea. Breaking up the squad into two fire teams with a medic each is very effective.
      - Manage your stamina! Avoid coming to a wall that you can't jump over when you want/need to!
      Last edited by DesmoLocke; 12-10-2015, 10:57 PM.
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/DesmoLocke
      Twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/desmolocke/profile

Comment

That's why we called it "borderline cheating". Hard to detect unless it's quit blatant. And we frowned on anyone using an aim marker but that was a players personal integrity decision.

What it basically boils down to is fair and honest game play.A CoFR credo. In the end it's really your choice.

But besides that , all the other suggestions are really quit valid.
        [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Its a tough thing to join a game when you know the only reason you are getting spotted and shot is because everyone else is jacking up the gamma. I'd suggest that if you are increasing the gamma above what may be a legitimate adjustment for your monitor, precisely for the purpose of advantage, it might be worthwhile taking a look here.

Perhaps a game should have a graphic in the video options where you adjust the gamma so a particular area is full black and a 0 point is just off black. I don't know how this is done exactly but I've seen such calibrations before.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

How to play the game:

Step 1:

Go here

Step 2:

Join a Squad or make your own. I recommend we start using "Learn TG" squads to blood in the new guys. You can rename the squads as shown below in the top left corner.

Step 3:

Learn how to use the map. As a SL this is your greatest weapon (your only weapon if you shoot like Dispo) -

You can hover over any object on the map to get the name. Over a player in your squad, over an objective.

Step 4:

Start marking the map. This is obvious but I don't see many SL's doing it yet. This is great for your Squad to have map markers, and a good way to help communicate with other SL's about threats.

Comment

Noob and Knob's guide to Squad (PDF manual)

There's a PDF gameplay manual "Usgu" prepared for Squad that outlines how to play squad. Ideal for rank beginners and the not so advanced. I fit in between the 2 groups and found it a very helpfull read.

If your interested , it's over at : Squad PDF Manual

Dispos's Edit: Merged threads to consolidate similar topics.
              Last edited by disposableHero; 12-11-2015, 02:42 PM.
              [CoFR] BeerHunter

Comment

Thanks for the screenshots Jeepo!

Can anyone give an explanation about what each of the icons for SL's to spot are? I understand the self-explanatory icons (sniper, machine gunner, RPG, sword [attack], move, and defend), but what are the others? I personally wish there was a blended map and UI system so that SL's could do minimal spotting without having to hit enter and render them combat ineffective; I understand that it may not be "realistic" though, so I see why it doesn't exist.

Comment

And I was just thinking last night I wish there were map markers in Squad and voila...Jeepo for the mind read.
                  |TG-189th| Unkl
                  ArmA 3 Game Officer
                  Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                  189th Infantry Brigade Member
                  SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                  "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins227 View Post
                    Thanks for the screenshots Jeepo!

Can anyone give an explanation about what each of the icons for SL's to spot are? I understand the self-explanatory icons (sniper, machine gunner, RPG, sword [attack], move, and defend), but what are the others? I personally wish there was a blended map and UI system so that SL's could do minimal spotting without having to hit enter and render them combat ineffective; I understand that it may not be "realistic" though, so I see why it doesn't exist.
                    Page 41 or so of this guide:

Squad Guide

Comment

Is there any easy way to tell whether a person is Russian or militia? I can't spot the difference for the life of me, until I'm being shot at.

Comment

Yeah at the minute the weapons are different. Russian forces use black weapons, militia have the classic wooden AK variants.

Easier still is the Russians are dressed all in green, militia have black webbing. They are likely to change it to make it easier.

Best thing you can do now is slow down. Be mindful of the map and your friendlies locations. Then you can blast everything in a sector where you know there are no smurfs.

Comment

Communication should be short, to the point, and useful for everyone hearing it.

Spotting: 3W's: What it is, where it is, what it is doing.

Ex. "SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY. NORTHWEST, 200M, BY THE ORANGE 2 STORY BUILDING. MOVING RIGHT TO LEFT, HAS NOT SEEN US".

ex. "SPOTTED ENEMY TRUCK. NORTH, OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD. DRIVING WEST, FULL SQUAD".

If unsure about a threat, check your map before/during your communication to the team about a spotted or unknown threat to check if friendly/foe (having your map easily open is a great tip: I have mine binded to CAPSLOCK and open it A LOT).
                          Do not immediately engage a spotted threat unless they are a threat to you or your team. Wait for the SL to coordinate action.

Pulled from a guide I wrote up for PR a few years back:
                          http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...ics-Quu-School

sigpic

Comment

From my time as a medic, I would highly suggest that if you are bleeding but conscious, and able to do so, please, please bandage yourself so that the medic doesn't run out.

There was a round I played under Desmo recently where I was one of 3 medics helping defend a control point that was under heavy attacks. I understand that in the moment, soldiers must fight back and avoid bandaging themselves. I also understand that often soldiers go straight from battle-ready to unconscious. However, if possible bandage yourself. All three of us medics ran completely out of supplies and there were no ammo crates nearby. It's truly an awful feeling seeing your fellow soldiers bleed out because they didn't bandage themselves and you are unable to help.

TL;DR - If possible, bandage yourself, saving medic's supplies for those who cannot bandage themselves.

Comment

Feel like you keep getting shot and don't know where the enemy is? Adopt this tactic:

SEE: Stop, Eyes, Ears. Do this every five seconds or so if you are in a hostile area.

Stay in shadow when moving. Sunlight really highlights movement a lot more in this game.

The only way to see the enemy is to stop moving and look around. you have to keep your screen still as well. When they move and your eyes are stationary they pop out like crazy. Try moving your screen to one area, waiting for a few seconds to see if there is movement, then moving it to another area. Repeat. But remember, the more you move your screen the more vulnerable you are to being seen by them too!

Advanced: If you are working with a full squad of good players, try and split into two different teams and do this as groups while moving.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X