No announcement yet.

Squad leading - things I figured out. Now with pictures!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad leading - things I figured out. Now with pictures!

Random thoughts from Zho, feel free to contribute/correct/educate other people from what you've learned.

1. Bleed is slow.
    Even if you hold bleed (ie, you own 3/5 flags), you can lose by foolhardy attacks against the enemy.
    We won by 14/300 tickets just now, while solidly holding 3/5 flags the entire round. The ]H[ people from Texas Team Players held our flag on defense, and we still barely won because we thought ... well, we're at such an advantage, we can't possibly lose! May as well attack! Turned out to be true, but oh, so, very narrowly true.

2. Neutral/grey flags require 1 person to capture, enemy held flags 2 people.
    The reason we were able to hold three flags is that DaveMCR volunteered to cap a back flag by himself, and basically allowed us to pile bodies on the middle flag. The enemy actually beat us to the radius, but we just had a wall of bodies that they couldn't hold out.
    Try to remember that your netural flags (close to your main) can be captured by just 1 person - send the rest to the fight at the middle flag.

3. It's easy to miss flags captured behind your back.
    It's happened to me that I only realized we lost our defending flag when Baron pointed it out. Squad is information overload v2.0, and it's easy to miss things. Losing that defending flag means your entire assault is meaningless -- especially if the enemy captures that flag fully. They can then put salt in the wound by assaulting the next flag over, and that's how rounds get lost super quickly.
    This is actually how Baron has won a ton of rounds for us - aggressive stealthy flank on the enemy flag, quick capture, and then immediately hopping to put pressure on the next flag. This sounds super straight-forward but what's hard about it is realizing when the fight of both teams is not on the actual flag itself, but rather somewhere else in the middle. This is when it's good to strike fast and hard right for the flags.

4. Always fill both medic slots.
    Filling in medics is easy - getting them to stay back and not get shot is the hard part. Remind them to hang back and be more cautious. Medics should never be leading the charge. Bear and Penguin saved my butt more times today than I can count. I've actually ran back toward medics after getting shot to a safe position to get healed, and keep going.

5. You can only build assets within the range of a FOB.
    When you see the counters at the top left your screen, you can set down ammo/barriers/etc. Imagine this: you set a FOB down halfway toward an enemy flag, move up a ~100m to the extent of its radius, and set down ammo. Then, you start raining rockets and grenades on that flag. Speaking of which ...

6. Assaulting buildings is much easier with explosives.
    When an enemy flag or FOB is in a well-defending building or compound - set down ammo crate if you're near a FOB and start raining GPs and rockets at it.
    I've been on the giving and receiving end of a GP barrage that destroyed a FOB that was completely walled off, with structures built around it and only tall walls to peak out at it. There's very little you can do against GPs that land just right in the middle of the compound on top of the FOB radio. It's very effective and terrifying.

That's all I've got so far. Contribute your own!

Re: Squad leading - things I figured out. Now with pictures!

It's important to build FOBs for the team. Otherwise other SL's forget and the team has nowhere to spawn.

It's also important to set up perimeters. Grouping too close together is great for the enemy. One rocket or well placed 203 round and the squads gone.

Also, placing a FOB between the attack and defense flags is a good idea so that squads can easily deploy to either area quickly.

Great post [MENTION=19509]Zhohar[/MENTION]

Something you mentioned re the ground between flags struck a chord with me and reminded me of something I used to talk about a fair bit in PR. People are drawn to flags too heavily at times, largely by the magnetic nature of a fixed objective naturally but also because because they may feel they have to be on the X to defend it. Whilst this is true to some extent once the X is contested, you have no option but to get amongst them, a great deal of the fight in games of this nature takes place in the avenues of approach.

Positioning yourself/your squad in such a way that you can intercept and engage your opponent in these avenues of approach is an excellent way to leverage several advantages. Commonly a squad attacking a flag you will hold will approach from an angle chosen based on their theory of path of least resistance. Logically this will be a flank in a high percentage of cases. They will go firm in a position of cover or concealment, this is their jumping off point before beginning their approach/assault on the objective. What you can do is position yourself in such a way that you have one eye on your flag and another on the potential avenue of approach.

When the attacking squad breaks brush and enters the movement to objective phase they are very vulnerable. They often have to cross open ground and at the very least they are moving which makes them more visible. This is when you want to hit them. They will be moving, guns down and their focus will generally be on their destination as they are in 'assault the objective mode'.

1. Constantly give your soldiers a task & purpose. Doing this helps prevent them from trickling out and doing their own thing, especially the new players that are unsure how the games play out. i.e. "We are moving to the high ground North of the attack objective. Providing overwatch and suppressing the enemy while Squad 2 assaults. AR's suppress the windows and doorways, Grenadier hit the backside of the birm, everyone else search for point targets". as opposed to "lets move here, follow me"

2. Use of Smoke - Use of smoke is a biggie. Too often people forget to utilize it. Not only smoking the direct line of sight while approaching an objective but also the flanks so the enemy's support/overwatch doesnt easily cut your element down. Smoking a false direction of approach is useful as well almost like a feint attack. Too often players get tunnel vision and immediately move towards the direction of action. They see smoke they believe everything is coming from that direction Suppression doesnt just keep the enemy's head down but can also grabs the enemy's attention from the main assaulting element taking the objective.

3. Use of Suppression - Suppression enemy's known positions with the AR's & Grenadiers. Keeps them from picking off your assaulting element one by one. Greats confusion amongst the enemy delaying their actions of maneuvering and executing their own plan.

4. Constantly adjust your position - Don't give the enemy a sufficient amount of time to adjust to your location. For instance if you set you squad up on a ridge line and are being effective against the enemy it is only a matter of time before their tactics adjust. Break contact and maybe readjust to another elevated position. Or if their is a lull in the amount of targets available because you've been successful on killing the enemy start taking soldiers off your line and kick them out to the flanks. The enemy will be coming!

5. Control your medics! Keep them from pushing forward and constantly harp on them about staying to the rear of your formations. Support your medics. Provide security and cover fire for them. Remind your other soldiers not to simply give up, you'll get a medic to them if able.

Your first point reminded me of something...

I find it also keeps players motivated if you keep them up to date on your communications with other squad leaders. It's exciting to know that what your squad's doing is part of a grand plan and that other squads are relying on us.

If you are not busy shooting help the medics with patching the bleeding guy near you. It happened a few times that i ran out of patches.

I didn't want to create a new topic for this. But as experienced players, I encourage you all to try your hand at being the squad leader and to help the new players. It's helpful to reamin positive ambassadors of the game. Especially since being a "PR veteran" seems to have a bad rap lately.

There is nothing better than experiencing first hand someone finding new joy and enthusiasm in Squad!
                Check it out.
                YouTube -
                Twitch -

Keeping a positive attitude is so, so important to being a good SL. Don't complain, tell players individually when they do awesome stuff, and the squad when you accomplish objectives. Make small talk and joke around when you are all walking for 10 minutes on fools road without contact.

With that in mind, encourage others to communicate.

Put down markers as Reference Points. The squad can call out enemies, and call for medics when they get injured referencing these markers. "In the compound just north of the shovel" or "east across the road from the green sword" is a lot easier for everyone to understand than "On me", or even grid/keypad locations in certain situations.
                  Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

Originally posted by Paine View Post
                    Keeping a positive attitude is so, so important to being a good SL.
                    That's 80% of squad leading right there, hands down. I'd give you +2 rep if I could.

This is by far and away the #1 most important tip in the entire game.
                    In fact, I'd say this is the most important quality of a good squad leader, period, in Squad, in BC2, and in BF2142. I have several thousand hours of squadleading in those games combined, and having a positive attitude toward your own squad, and other squad leaders is by far, and away, the #1 most important thing.

Here's some things I've found helpful in spreading a positive attitude that directly contribute to us winning.
                    * Point out smart things other squads are doing to your own squad. When you point stuff like this out, you engage people's brain in a higher gear, and they're ready for your next step. If you point out an awesome flank by another squad, people immediately know that your squad should now be supressing fire and making noises. They won't do that right away, but they'll be ready for what you're going to say. Pointing out stuff other teammates are doing (like downed friendly SLs, awesome flanks, new FOBs) turns squad members' brains on to 11.
                    * Thank other SLs for putting in FOBs down. If you build a good rappoire with other squad leaders, they'll be more inclined to help you when you need help. What's even better is that other squad leaders will spontaneously start putting FOBs down. It just steamrolls - this cooperative attitude.
                    * Offer to do crappy boring jobs. "Hey guys, someone has to defend. If no one wants it, I'll turn around and do it. I'm real far on attack, but my squad's good to fall back." If you do this, people will then volunteer to defend. And a squad on defense is paaaramount to winning, esepcially with the new bleed mechanics. When people see you're a good guy, and want your team to win - they're so much more onboard to help out with terrible jobs.
                    * Thank people for coming to defend you. "Hey thanks for coming back Squad 4 - my guys are just getting ripped here, and I can't hold this down. I appreciate it." They feel like a hero, you retain an important defense flag (think Market/Mullins on Chora or District City on Logar), and other squad leaders start becoming more situationally-aware of what's going on team-wise.

... and then it just steamrolls. You start seeing random public-squad-leader players leading squads like little wolfpacks in a tight bunch on wide flanks, and then you win by 150 tickets.

Honestly, as far as winning goes, the last few weeks, I've been routinely winning by 100+ tickets, and it's all about that team coordination. If you're friendly, polite, and cooperative with other squad leaders (especially on our server), magic happens.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed