Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag Defense: Strategy Discussion

Two Squads Defend

One Squad on the Flag, one squad on the highest ground near the flag.

FOB/Outpost placed AWAY from the flag, but close enough for the flag and the high ground to be fortified by the squads defending. A second outpost should be placed 400m away from the first to offer a spawn point to counter-attack if the flag is lost.

Each squad should send 2-3 members into the surrounding area as an early warning. These teams should also be used for flanking attacking squads and disabling the attacking team's spawn points.

When twenty players in a small compound defending a flag, it is not fun, and it never works. I call this "turtling". When the FOB is on the flag, it is inevitable that the defenders will be surrounded.

A smart attacker will also always take the high ground first, and use suprise to their advantage. This strategy takes away these advantages from the attacking team.

Good Luck and don't turtle!
    Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Re: Flag Defense: Strategy Discussion

I agree. Too often everyone wants to be right on the defend marker. It makes it too easy for the enemy to focus all their fires into one compound, smoke the line of sight directly between them and that compound and push up. From an attackers stand point it is a lot harder if your not only dealing with opfor on the defend maker but also from elevated positions and counter attacking elements spawning from FOBs and RP AWAY from the defend objective.

Comment

IF you are making the huge castle as a defence make sure you give your team multiple ways to exit via ladders. This way you can get out and do that all important sweep and counter attack to clear the enemy no matter what direction they are attacking from. Personally I like to use the castle as an enemy focal point to distract them while someone sweeps them out from another direction.

- your radio spawn point does not need to be on the flag to build up that castle. As long as the radio is in range to provide Build points to the flag.
      - You do not need to make a completely walled castle to defend. You can use the barriers to funnel the enemy into designated kill zones.
      - when doing a castle make sure to place sandbags down in open areas to hinder the effectiveness of grenades. All too often I see a big circle of defence on a roof, then a grenade goes off killing them all. If they had bisected that circle with a sandbag wall they could have lessened the casualties and kept up the defence.

ONe huge thing we discovered. IF a player sacrifices themselves and jumps onto a grenade, the grenade will only kill that player, saving everyone around them.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
        ONe huge thing we discovered. IF a player sacrifices themselves and jumps onto a grenade, the grenade will only kill that player, saving everyone around them.
        True story

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Awesome info on the grenades guys.

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely bang on about grenades Masterjack, a few small walls here and there really break up the frag/splash radius. I've had some bad experiences already where people have created majestic death buckets with no way out and just a nice big open space in the middle for people to pour frags and rpgs into.

Comment

A great post from [MENTION=19509]Zhohar[/MENTION] that has convinced me not to build fortifications, except in very limited number and in specific circumstances:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...built-up/page2

Having a solid defense is essential to winning the match. 20 tickets are lost when a flag is capped, and in this build ticket bleed is currently

3 tickets / 1 minute for each # flag deficit. (30m=90 tickets lost).

What strategies do you all have for defense?

sigpic

Comment

I don't want to reveal too many of my strategies, but it it very convenient to keep an FOB off a flag, but use its ability to fortify and create kill boxes on the flag. It leads to the ability to build multiple "strong points" just on/around a flag that makes it easier to defend the key flag. (usually the mid flag).

Comment

Playing recon, I'm normally away from my squad covering them at a distance. This really allows me to move quite freely especially during flag defense. I'm very successful at flanking the enemy because of the fact I'm not hemmed in at a flag and with the squad keeping them busy, it makes it easy to sneak up on them. For me personally, doing this by myself makes it a lot easier. I move in a very peculiar way sometimes and following can be hard. I'm constantly in a position where I take out at least 4 enemies simply because I'm one person, they can't find me and my position is superior. I've learned that positioning is everything in this game and I frequently find myself extremely deep in enemy territory ready to attack my squad's objective on the opposite side they are on which really messes with the defenders. This of course requires a squad leader who understands the way I play and lets me work. On the other side, for SL's, finding someone who you trust and can actually do this consistently can be difficult, but having a good recon player sneaking around behind enemy lines with an optic can be extremely beneficial not only for attacking, but defending flags especially. To put it bluntly, I am never on a flag either in attack or defense, rather I am constantly moving and flanking the enemy from various angles and positions. This is extremely effective especially in flag defense because I know where they will be and where they will be coming from. I'm able to intercept them before they hit my squad, or simply flank or hit them from behind if they are near the objective. This also allows me to easily relay their position to my squad. That's my recon take on flag defense. All of this is of course subject to SL approval during the match haha!
                  pew pew

Comment

Sorry but that's just a long description/justification of Lone Wolfing lol.
                    Last edited by Wicks; 02-24-2016, 06:12 AM.

Comment

It is soooo frustrating to get torn to pieces when squad leaders place FOB's on defend points...It usually happens by guys with good intentions but they just don't know any better at the time. I play alot of medic and usually when it starts to turn into a slaughter I grab a couple of like minded guys and we GTFO!! sorry, but I'm not staying around for the slaughter. It does not happen when a TG guy is Sl'ing...just when I can't join in with the squad I want to...then it gets interesting. LOL

I think the whole "defend the alamo" idea is appealing to alot of people....it's fun for a bit...but just not a recipe for success in this game.

Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by AnonBot View Post
                        On the other side, for SL's, finding someone who you trust and can actually do this consistently can be difficult, but having a good recon player sneaking around behind enemy lines with an optic can be extremely beneficial not only for attacking, but defending flags especially.
                        You make a good recon guy and a good early warning system. Its always worked for me while you were in my squad. Everyone has different play styles and should use the one that works best for you.
                        Last edited by baughman; 02-24-2016, 10:12 AM.
                        [TG4]baughman

| | |

Comment

Cough Lonewolfing is actively discouraged on all TG servers, kinda against the ethos of the Community as a whole etc.

Comment

He's not lonewolfing though if he is actively working with his squad relaying information all the time. I can see if he was in the 'unassigned' section doing his own thing, but that isn't the case.
                            [TG4]baughman

| | |

Comment

You can lone wolf in a squad, that's why SL's kick people for it. Consistently playing your own game, not being with the squad, not being on the flag when required, having an agenda based on anything other than the SL's requirements = lone wolfing.

This is TG 101 in all honesty.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X