Like, do you even single shot bro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like, do you even single shot bro?

A huge plus for me personally in Squad is the way the weapons in game handle. How they recoil, their accuracy, their sound and how the meta vs realism works. Personally I think the Devs have done a really good job already in representing the pseudo realistic characteristics of the M4 vs the AK variants for example.

Something I wanted to ask people was this, what's your preferred method of fire on each weapon and why? When it comes time to flick the fire selector switch in a given scenario, what do you choose?

For me on the AR front at least it's weapon and situation dependent. If I'm carrying an M4 I pretty much always stick to single shot. I prefer the precision, even at close range and struggle with the high rpm for numerous reasons. At medium range with a red dot I have a pretty accurate weapon and full auto, even in an effort to suppress is a complete waste of time and ammunition. At close range I still choose single shot, unless I am barrel up my opponents nostril range, simply because the M4's vertical recoil and rpm means you're wasting the majority of your rounds. This is important to me because it means I'm reloading inefficiently and often at the worse possible times. Furthermore I have little to no positive control of my rounds when I am engaging, full auto is very much the 'nuke' button of cqb. If I'm working an objective in close proximity to my squad mates I'm a danger to them on full auto and a gun out of the fight when I am reloading early due to the wild mag dump.

No, for me, even CQB requires single shot. It takes time and practice to get fast enough and accurate enough and full auto is definitely easier as far as getting the first kill but that's where the road runs out tactically. It's a very 'arcadey' tactic. Assault rifles in the military aren't designed for full auto by default. It makes little sense tactically and no sense accuracy or safety wise. So if I'm clearing a compound I try to move slow and steady with my sights up, minimizing my exposure to the various angles of threat and looking to basically dump 3-4 accurate shots centre mass to my targets as they perhaps charge or blaze away full auto. This way I not only have the upmost accuracy I can get but I minimize the risk of friendly fire and I stay 'gun up' longer. If you work it and hit your shots that's a whole squad in one magazine potentially (or there abouts). Not saying that's a reasonable expectation, merely pointing out that is your potential gun up time where you can't be caught with your pants down mid reload. That's all time you are a threat to the enemy and able to cover your squad mates. Now of course there will be circumstances where dumping your magazine is appropriate, even in close range, to cover a squad/team mate or suppress the enemy. That's to be expected. However even then rapid single fire remains desirable as you are able to suppress with greater accuracy/threat to enemy life and for an extended duration. As opposed to the scream "Covering fire BRRRRRRRRRR, oops now we're both reloading" scenario.

Conversely the AK variants with their slower ROF and lack of optics do in fact lend themselves to manually controlled full auto (short bursts) in close quarters. The much slower rof means you aren't going to be pointing at the sky after a bit of heavy trigger, are much more able to control both the accuracy/grouping of your shots and manage your ammo. The controllability also means you are less of a liability to squad/team members. I am more than happy to use short 4-5 shot burst with the AK's in close to medium as they are pretty effective and the less than stellar iron sights (particularly the front posts) make rapid target acquisition a bit more of a challenge. Medium range its fine for single shot but at close/medium I tend to get more success using the AK's in a much more reactive point/shoot manner.

Thoughts?

Re: Like, do you even single shot bro?

I use automatic fire in close quarters, buildings mostly. Otherwise, it's single shot for accuracy and less recoil. Although, I do like the AK when fired in short bursts at range.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Noyava's Maxim #11: One target, one magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
        Witnessed this - stands true for Wicks also.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
          #11... makes me curious of the previous 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
            Witnessed this - stands true for Wicks also.
            I actually did a wild full mag dump yesterday on the server accidentally. I was rounding a corner and came face to face with an enemy about 15-20 feet away. Thing is I didn't have a good grip on my mouse at the time as I had just moved stuff about on my desk. The shock of almost running into this chap caused me to scrabble for a better grip on the mouse which then slid off its mat. I grabbed it awkwardly which flipped the fire selector to full auto and simultaneously dumped an entire magazine into the air in and around my opponent.

No idea if any of the rounds hit him but I think it put the wind up us both. I reloaded in cover and peeked the corner and finished him off with a couple of shots.

Unfortunately for me he tossed a grenade as he died which I tried to leg it from but then ran straight into a friendly who had been observing the whole farce. We both died in an awkward mess of tangled limbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
              Unfortunately for me he tossed a grenade as he died which I tried to leg it from but then ran straight into a friendly who had been observing the whole farce. We both died in an awkward mess of tangled limbs.
              Sounds a bit like your sex life...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                Sounds a bit like your sex life...
                I'm writing this from 6ft. under.

I just died laughing.
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I think this accurately represents how single shot in cqb works for me...

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

15fps --> full mag and hopefully 1 shot hits :madsmile:

| | | |

Comment

I found a really informative video on shooting techniques.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X