Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a hello.

Hi all,

coinciding with the new computer I built, I've started playing squad after a long spell of not finding a game that appealed to me at TG.

As some of you have noticed, I'm currently playing under alias steam picked: [Tg-6th]Manbearpig.

I'm really enjoying the game quite a bit. As penguin remarked in the vehicle thread, they are really designing the game from the foundations up, and those foundations appear to me as being particularly strong.

It's been years since i have seen a AAA-level title being made, without day-one DLC. Without an unlock/grinding system. Playing squad has made me realize how much I enjoy playing without an artificial reward skinner-box that guarantees ersatz enjoyment but impedes the real thing.

The rest is about shovels:

One of the features that work much better than in PR is the construction system. Deployment of structures works really well, and I think deployables will have a true effect on gameplay. I've angered the occasional teammate, being accused of playing minecraft and other things :p. But I've also seen some moments where the structures really impacted the gameplay.

One time we made a full squad flank more then a km around, setting them about 2km from any relevant control point. Stil they were unable to dislodge our (full) squad.

Another time I had just deployed a militia bunker, the one with the camo nets over top. My medic was shoveling it, laying prone inside it. Suddenly I see a guy in the forest some 30m away. He's coming right at us so I shoot one round over my squadmate's head and hit the enemy in the chest. The enemy then begins to fire. But he fires waaay over my left shoulder not at all hitting the bunker. Then I realize he hasn't seen me because of the camo, even though he is now only 15m away! Another round did the job.

So far what I've been trying to build is defenses overwatching the radio. With a rallypoint nearby a fortified position, a small squad can make it a lot harder for attackers to camp or destroy a radio; because the small squad can respawn, and counter attack from a fortified position. It's a staggered defense, like the Russians used at Kursk.

Well, clearly I'm enjoying the shoveling. The best happened after building a sandbag-wall around the radio in a room. A blue dot spawned, and spoke to his fellow blue dots: "Wow this is the best built FOB I've ever seen". With just 5 sandbag walls and a barrier!

Beware of FOBs! I hear they attract Manbearpigs!

Re: Just a hello.

Al, I remember your shovel and logistics skills from PR well! Awesome to have you back man. As the game evolves defending radios is going to be more and more important. They are going to add a logistics system and more emplacements for indirect fire and fire support.

The "staggered defense" strategy you describe is what a lot of us have found to be the most effective use of fortifications for objective defense. Limited building in the most useful locations and not just building for buildings' sake was also a hard learned lesson. Using these for defending radios... great idea dude. Although having a full squad do this is a big chunck of the team, as the game is now.

You seemed to have gotten there in the first few days of play. I'm not suprised given your experience. And bro, keep the lessons coming. Once this game is more complex I have no doubt TG is going to dominate large organized play with great minds like yours helping to develop our play style.
    Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

Great to have you back, Al!
      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Are you cereal?
        pew pew

Comment

I remember this name from bf2 days

Comment

Nice to see you back man.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
            The BigC

Comment

[MENTION=4858]BigGaayAl[/MENTION] welcome back

Last time I was in one of your squads, you were SL in Planetside2, fun times.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                [MENTION=4858]Last time I was in one of your squads, you were SL in Planetside2, fun times.
                Same XD Welcome back mate!
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Hah ;) It's funny running under a different alias, as people in the end recognize me by voice and quirks I think.

Btw I've already found a possible gamebreaking construction technique. I should really try it because it's an alhpa. With either US bunkers, or militia rounded sandbags you can easily entomb a radio, while it still works. With the sandbags it's actually quite camouflaged. Might test this out soon, if I find some shovel victims!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                    Hah ;) It's funny running under a different alias, as people in the end recognize me by voice and quirks I think.

Btw I've already found a possible gamebreaking construction technique. I should really try it because it's an alhpa. With either US bunkers, or militia rounded sandbags you can easily entomb a radio, while it still works. With the sandbags it's actually quite camouflaged. Might test this out soon, if I find some shovel victims!
                    Entombing a radio only helps if one person is trying to take down your radio. If two people are close to the radio then it automatically start to be taken down. Shoveling at that point only speeds up the process.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                      Entombing a radio only helps if one person is trying to take down your radio. If two people are close to the radio then it automatically start to be taken down. Shoveling at that point only speeds up the process.
                      So am I right to believe then that:
                      If one person is at the FOB, he can shovel it down.
                      If two people are at the FOB, the FOB automatically degenerates, but shoveling expedites the process?

Comment

Hey, Al, hope to see you in-game!
                        |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

@ Keithmann, me too! I have some MIP roots you know!

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                          Yesterday I entombed a radio. I built a circle of sandbags around it, three units high. Then I placed a US bunker model inside it. The walls being about the size of the sandbags. It looked like a single closed off shack. People were spawning on it occasionally.

Three times a taliban snuck in there. They would proceed to look puzzled (possible in squad apparently), looking left and right, walking around the tomb. When they would stand still I'd shoot them from my bush.

In the end I had to shovel it down, bc the whole structure was touching a tree, and some spawners would get blocked in between the tomb and the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                            @Keithmann, me too! I have some MIP roots you know!
                            Of course! I have a lot of good memories from those days. Hopefully, Squad will provide us with some more.
                            |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X