Logistics: The most important vehicles in the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Logistics: The most important vehicles in the game

This is the first in a series of posts I will be making on the vehicles of Squad and best-practices for their usage.

"Forget logistics, you lose."
    - Lt. Gen. Fredrick Franks, USA, 7th Corps Commander, Desert Storm

"Gentlemen, the officer who doesn't know his communications and supply as well as his tactics is totally useless."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, USA

"Logistics is the stuff that if you don't have enough of, the war will not be won as soon as."
    - General Nathaniel Green, Quartermaster, American Revolutionary Army

"The line between disorder and order lies in logistics…"
    - Sun Tzu

"My logisticians are a humorless lot ... they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay."
    - Alexander

It is clear from the quotes above that throughout the history of warfare, the critical importance of logistics to the success or failure of any military undertaking has been understood, from the modern general to conquerors of the ancient world. In Squad, logistics play just as critical of a role to the success or failure of a team as they did to the military conquests of the ancient Greeks under Alexander The Great.

Overview

The current implementation of the logistics system in Squad is a hybrid system of the prior system (pre-A7) and where the game is headed, which is a mirror of the Project Reality logistics system. This was an intentional step by the game developer to teach the player base the importance of logistics to the team without a complete paradigm shift for a majority of the player base.

It is fair to say that by now, most players understand the importance of logistics to a team and their ability to both attack and defend effectively. The importance of these vehicles to the success or failure of a team will become even more apparent as future releases take the game entirely into the style of game play that the developers have envisioned for Squad.

With that in mind, I think it is important for everyone to understand exactly where the game is going in terms of the logistics system and contrast that with the current system.

The single biggest change will be with regard to the ability to deploy a FOB (or fire base - a team spawn point): in the current system as well as all previous releases, a Squad Leader can deploy a FOB with no support short of a few minor requirements with regard to teammates in close proximity and a kit requirement. This is going to change at some point in the near future where having logistics dropped *first* is required to be able to drop a FOB, let alone build any type of emplacements, defensive structures, etc.

What this means is that if you do not have any logistics available, your team cannot deploy any FOBs and must rely entirely on the squad rally point to provide forward spawn capabilities for reinforcements. This shifts the logistics truck from being a vehicle that is important to the team, but not critical, in Alpha 7 to being absolutely crucial to a team’s success or failure during any given match and an absolute priority target for enemy forces. If a team is without logistics they are crippled for a period of time that allows their opponent to potentially seize the upper hand in a fight over a flag to potentially rolling over their enemy for a victory. With this in mind, extreme care should be taken with these vehicles.

Best Practices

As Squad transitions the meta of the game from a partially implemented logistics system, which is the current version in A7, to a full logistics system which will mirror Project Reality, it is important to develop a set of "Best Practices" with regard to the usage and care of the logistics vehicles. Soon, logistics will be required before any type of forward team spawn (FOB) can be deployed, and the logistics chain will become paramount to the success or failure of a team during any given round.

Have a dedicated logistics squad that is entirely responsible for the use and care of these vehicles. In PR we would have a 2-man logistics squad that would take a single truck out to build fire bases for the team, as the SL could drop a FOB and then assist the other squad member (usually a medic) in shoveling the fire base up. No other defenses would be deployed by this squad. This also worked well in that if the truck was destroyed there would generally be a spare in the main base available for them to keep the flow of supplies moving.

For Squad, a 3-man logistics squad would be ideal, however a 4-man squad would work as well. This allows the SL the ability to claim a vehicle and there would be enough room for the entire squad to be transported in the truck. For factions that only have technical logistics vehicles available, the squad could take the logistics technical and a second, armed technical for support.

If you intend on running a logistics squad, name your squad as "Logistics" and communicate your intentions with the other squad leaders prior to the start of the round. Under the current rules on our server, naming squads for an asset does not reserve a particular asset for you. However, the other squad leaders should work with you on this as long as you communicate with them. Most importantly, try to keep the size of your squad to a total of 3-4. A full squad will only increase the chances of players getting bored and wanting to get into the fight, splitting your squad and making life difficult for you as the SL.

Infantry squads should not take a logistics truck as transport, as they tend to abandon them at some point and the vehicle sits useless to the team at that point. Additionally, an abandoned vehicle will be found and will be destroyed by the enemy team. This removes it from the team for 3 minutes while it is re-spawning at main, and it costs the team 8 tickets (4 for a technical logistics vehicle), which essentially is a squad-wipe.

If an infantry squad must take a logistics truck:

) SL only allow 2-3 other squad members to spawn at main and ask the remaining squad members to hold their spawn.
    ) Drive to your initial deployment point and drop a rally so that the remainder of the squad may spawn in
    ) Deploy the FOB you intend to place for the team and supply it immediately
    ) designate one member of the squad to drive the logistics truck back to the main base to ferry supplies (and any stranded teammates at main base) back and forth to the FOB/front lines. However, it should never be abandoned on the field. If your squad is done with the vehicle it should be returned to main and the squad member should secure transportation back to the front from a different vehicle.

This will prevent your squad from becoming split up at the start of the round and also leave enough transportation in main to be available for other squads to use for transport at the start of the round.

Conclusions

The importance of logistics to a team cannot be over-stated. From what we know based on interviews with the Squad developers, conversations we've had with them and understanding of the game that they developed prior to Squad and are modeling Squad upon, it is obvious that they intend on making logistics a vital part of the success (or failure) of any team. To be successful in Squad requires that a team works together to achieve the objectives. A big part of helping the team do that is the logistics system.
    Last edited by disposableHero; 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Re: Logistics: The most important vehicles in the game

Great post Dispo thanks, learnt a lot.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to disposableHero again.
      Great post - looking forward to some opinion and discussion on this.

Comment

im looking forward to the next version of logistics.

Comment

I like the idea of getting a few squad members to hold off spawning at the beginning. I also like hoping out a few times on the way to the final destination to get a couple of backup fobs up that will eventually start being active on their own.

Comment

Can't wait to get back in the game!

The only time as an INF SL that I might leave the logi truck at a newly created FOB is if I had already arranged for another squad to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by CR8Z View Post
              Can't wait to get back in the game!

The only time as an INF SL that I might leave the logi truck at a newly created FOB is if I had already arranged for another squad to pick it up.
              Damn glad to have you back in the game!!

Comment

When I get some time today I will try and write up a "Future of Logistics" reply. Where it is now is great, but it really is baby steps for people new to the "Series" of games (PR>Squad). When they get the logistics to the end point, it will be very very different to what it is now. Currently its a fairly simplistic version to allow folks to not get frustrated, and to get a basic supply drop.

I should also summon people like [MENTION=23902]Bullseye2550[/MENTION] here, as he is our resident expert.

Comment

Very good read Dispo. I can't wait to see how they'll continue to develop logistics and vehicles even more so beyond how they did in PR!

Thanks for taking the time to put this up!

Comment

logi for the win :icon_bigg

| | | |

Comment

Games are decided by the ability to reinforce, great guide, required reading!

Comment

I was thinking recently that it'd be neat if SL's could keep in mind FOB placement in regards to ease of access by logistics drivers. Like trying to place FOB's near main roads/routes if possible so that logi drivers can quickly ferry supplies. Some of these maps are so complicated to drive through that it's very difficult to supply FOB's

Comment

Originally posted by TempusEcherie View Post
                          I was thinking recently that it'd be neat if SL's could keep in mind FOB placement in regards to ease of access by logistics drivers. Like trying to place FOB's near main roads/routes if possible so that logi drivers can quickly ferry supplies. Some of these maps are so complicated to drive through that it's very difficult to supply FOB's
                          Yes, they certainly could, and if/when the real logistics system of dropping physical crates is required to build a FOB it will become even more important. For now, you only need to have the FOB indicator up in your HUD to be able to have it be supplied, so you don't need to be right next to the actual radio.

So, when you see this:

Press "Q" and voila!, FOB is resupplied!

Comment

One thing to note with FOBs - you often see people disappointed/angry with their placement. People have learned that FOB's on flags are usually a bad idea. They are also learning that some spots kill entire areas of the map. This problem will address itself with bigger maps. Imagine a 4x4km map, and a fob can be placed every 300m or so. Makes the whole thing much better.

Comment

Very good points!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...