Rifle Squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOP] Rifle Squad

I wrote a post not too long ago about my thoughts as a "noob". It led to a good discussion, and I hope it can continue here as I have written down a "Standard Operating Procedure" or guide on how it can look. Please read and share your thoughts and let's have a meaningful discussion!

Disclaimer: My graphical skills aren't top notch.

Organisation

This rifle squad consists of two fireteams which are named at the squad leader's discretion, but preferably something cool like Hitman and Assassin.

The squad is split up in the following way:

*SL - Squad Leader
    *FTL - Fireteam Leader
    *B1,A1,etc - Fireteam/Squad member of either hitman or assassin

The squad is further split up into buddyteams who work in pairs. This gives the SL two fireteams and the fireteams have two buddyteams (FTL1, A1)(A2, A3). Organising the squad this way relieves the SL, and FTLs, of micromanaging their squad or fireteam.

There are three leaders in the squad which may confuse those who are not familiar with this type of playing, and the chain of command is SL > FTL(A) > FTL(B). Basically the SL spends most of his time thinking of the bigger picture, marking objectives and enemies, etc... While the FTLs are the combat leaders of the squad who take orders from the SL and execute them to the best of their abilities. The Fireteams work in tandem with each other and very rarely move on an objective without the support each other.

At least one of the FTLs should if possible be a person you trust, as he/she will be your backup SL (NCO) and be able to take command of the squad if the SL requires it or goes down. An example would be if SL is busy, dead, or unavailable and therefore unable to effectively lead squad operations at the objective. In that case the SL should announce “SL is down, Team leader Hitman is in command”, and issue a general objective for him/she to execute. Same scenario goes if FTL(A) is dead, then FTL(B) takes command.

Communication

There are two types of voice communication within the squad: Squad chat and local chat.
    To keep squad chat to a minimum I find it best to make squad chat exclusive to the SL and FTLs, unless a squad member has mission critical information. This helps everyone hear orders without people talking over each other, and it keeps “down time chatter” out of the SLs busy ears. Don’t get me wrong, I know it doesn’t have to be war games all the time… But keep it to local chat. It also further strengthens the hierarchy SL > FTL > FTM.

Contact reports often come in different ways, but here is a description of how one should sound like. (Taken from ShackTac guide)

ALERT ORIENT DESCRIBE EXPOUND

"Contact, North-West, sniper, in the second story window of the brown-roofed white-walled building at the crossroads."

"Contact, bearing zero eight five, T-72, hull down behind the rise 200 meters to our front, looking the other way. "

"Contact left! Machinegun bunker, dug into the palms across the river due West, middle cluster, 400 meters."

Of course it doesn’t have to be like you’re reciting a novel each time you’re making a contact report, but try to keep the report as informative as possible.

Movement

Instead of moving as a blob through the battlefield you could instead utilize your fancy fireteams in different ways. There are three main formations that can be used at both squad and fireteam level, and they are Wedge, Line, Column. Remember boys and girls MIND YOUR SPACING!

(The pictures represent how they look on paper. The formations look different depending on terrain and other factors, do not get angry if they don’t look like this in-game)

Fireteam Formations

Wedge

This is the basic fireteam formation and should be the one you form if not ordered otherwise.
    Depending on visibility the FTL can order the wedge to expand or contract.
    Team members should always be within visible range of their nearest buddy.

File

The fireteam file is normally used in dense vegetation and the visibility is limited.

Squad Formations

Column

In this picture you see a SQUAD COLUMN with FIRETEAM WEDGE

FT1 is the lead element while FT2 together with SL follows in the rear, notice that B3 is watching the rear incase the enemy will come up from behind. The formation is easy to control, maintains good dispersion, and allows for maneuvering.

Line

In the line formation both teams are committed to engaging the enemy to support another squad. (Support by fire)

Scenarios

Flanking Maneuver

Our squad is en route toward an objective when suddenly FT1 is engaged. FT1 immediately returns fire while reporting contacts to the SL so he can form a plan. SL orders FT2 to flank left while FT1 suppresses the enemy.

It’s important to maintain continuous fire on the enemy to keep their heads down and hopefully kill or wound them, even if you don’t see them you fire in the general direction. Having bullets fly over their heads constantly also makes your force seem bigger than it is and may help to confuse the enemy.

Bounding Overwatch

Bounding overwatch is used when enemy contact is likely, it allows one team to move under cover from the other.

Here the SL has gotten reports of enemy movement up ahead so he orders bounding overwatch. FT1 sets in a covering position while FT2 bounds forward on the left side. FT2 sees enemy contact and begins to engage, SL orders FT2 to continue suppressive fire and FT1 to move forward to engage.

FT1 sets in place to take over suppressive fire from FT2, and SL orders FT2 to flank the enemy from the hills overlooking their position.
    Last edited by Crawlingeye; 02-13-2017, 12:20 PM. Reason: Updated
    ​​​​​​​

Great post Crawly! Basic squad cohesion and movement has been on my mind a lot. I would really like to get this going in combination with concepts from the room/street clearing thread.

Now, let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

Have you or anyone else had success implementing fireteams in game? Its fantastic in concept but I'm sure everyone who has attempted them has seen cohesion break down due to comms spam. Local voip is the ideal solution but the limited range can lead to unreliable comms. One thing that might help is having FT's identify in squad chat when forced to use it.

"HITMAN, Contact, North-West, sniper, in the second story window of the brown-roofed white-walled building at the crossroads."

Still, once that gets started its rapidly downhill from there. The more I think about it the more I think FT's just need to be very strict about maintaining proximity. Something like, "make sure you are close enough to see your FTL's tags at all times." You simply cannot afford to have people using squad chat for much at all besides SL to FTL comms.

This is further complicated by the need to have -two- FTL's with good comms discipline and basic leadership skills.

My ultimate question here is, how do you go from theory to practice for working, cohesive fireteams. What are the pitfalls to watch out for and how do you counter them?

Comment

I have had success on an infantry only map... Russians vs Militia. I knew no one in the squad, but I got two volunteers to lead fireteams and everyone was onboard with the idea. Maybe I was just lucky but since then the urge to do it again has only grown stronger the more I think about it.

I think that Squad needs to slow down in tempo for it to be enjoyable in the long run. Many times I see e-sport like behavior with people focusing waaay to much on how many points they have and k/d ratios, and that to me is taking away focus from the true pleasure of the game. The feeling of working together as an organised unit(winning or losing), whether it's squad level or team level, is a feeling you'll remember and want to share while having a great score gives you temporary satisfaction.

The comms is a concern I share, and I hope there are solutions coming.
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

Great posts both of you! Ever since Crawlingeye and a few others made some great points on why fireteams are great, I have wanted to try them. However, there hasn't been much discussion on how exactly to use them. How to lead/use fireteams and use of comms is something I'd like to hear more about. I know this forum and you guys are the best place to flesh out a solution! I'm all ears, so have at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha phone app! I totally missed your first post Crawlingeye! Can't view it well on mobile. Looking forward to seeing it!

Comment

I do know that Expendable and I have done fire teams on many occasions. Even when in your squad Asta we have done some form of two fire teams. Can it be done better, heck yes... but no way can you do it with more than 50% pubbies in your squad. I think this is something we should seriously consider trying out next time we all play together!

Comment

Heck yes you can do it with pubbies! You just need to ask the question and see if people are willing and/or serious, just getting people used to the idea of playing like this will make some of them curious and want to join the server again.

It is however way easier if you have people you know in the squad, I wont deny that, but pubbies can surprise you.

I'd say that the only two things you need for this to work are 2 willing FTLs, they don't have to be superstars... just willing to learn and lead their team. The rest of the squad are "expendable", if they don't listen or follow orders you can just kick them without many consequences, but if you kick an FTL you have a leadersless team if you can't find a new FTL quickly.
              ​​​​​​​

Comment

I can very much agree with that. I have help turn many into either regulars or tag wearing regulars, all who are just fantastic. But they each were just simple pubbies before that. And I have learned to not fear the "kick" button under a name. If they aren't working as a team, they get the boot. I have also won the respect of my squad for doing so. Anyway, I kind of went off topic. So, I see the formations... give me an example of how you'd use a column going into a cap zone, and what you'd say as you were commanding said advance.

Comment

Say my squad is assaulting a compound across an open field, we know that there is an enemy presence, and instead of choosing a sneaky approach we go in guns blazing.

I would order the squad to form a line on the wall surrounding the field, do a quick scan of the area and make sure there is no immidiate threat on our flanks. I would then order bounding overwatch across the field, Hitman take point, Assassin supressing the compound... Maybe Hitman would throw some smokes as they advance.
                  When I make the order I would hear:

Hitman FTL- "Alright, Hitman we're bounding!"

Hitman advances under cover from Assassin and throws smokes infront of them, when they have moved 20m or so they set.

Hitman FTL- "Hitman HALT! Supress the compound."
                  Assassin FTL- "Assassin advance!"

When Hitman is set they begin supressing the compound, and now Assassin can advance.
                  End of story

An important thing to remember is to not lose your momentum if you have it, if you do not have momentum in your assault you fall back and try another approach. If you have momentum you do not want to lose it by slowing down and reviving wounded squadmates, you can do that after the assault is over.
                  Another thing is to KEEP FIRING!

Below are some examples:

​​​​​​​

Comment

Excellent diagrams! What tool did you use?
                    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann View Post
                      Excellent diagrams! What tool did you use?
                      Thanks! I used this one http://gametactic.org/squad
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

Great thread and excellent diagrams. Just wanted to highlight something for 'truth'

"An important thing to remember is to not lose your momentum if you have it, if you do not have momentum in your assault you fall back and try another approach. If you have momentum you do not want to lose it by slowing down and reviving wounded squadmates, you can do that after the assault is over.
                        Another thing is to KEEP FIRING!"

Preach!

Assaulting in close proximity is an 'all in' situation. If a man goes down that's one gun out of the fight, you stop to revive during the tipping point of an assault that's two guns out of the fight and probably a dead medic.

It gets worse if you have 2 casualties and two medics obviously. Even if the remaining 5 clear the objective your down 4 men with no revive.

Assault, clear, revive. In close proximity anything else is stalling your momentum, taking guns out of the fight unnecessarily and handing the initiative back to the defenders. Obviously you don't put your medics first through the door, they enter last, but until the objective is clear they are in the fight.

Comment

Something that I read somewhere... Can't remember where.

"Fire without maneuver is indecisive, maneuver without fire will get you killed"

​​​​​
                          Last edited by Crawlingeye; 02-08-2017, 11:07 PM.
                          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Hey Crawlingeye very good post about squad formations, and tks for that :D (it´s always nice see how TG members share knoledge and help each other)

But just to complement your information a few days ago I was looking for videos about squad movement on the battlefield and some tactics and formations and I ended up with this channel (OE TSC G&V) on youtube, which ended up helping me a lot. If any of you (who do not yet know) and you are interested feel free to explore the channel's playlists, do not just talk about squad movement but also cover other topics like surviving, fire support, land navigation, ambush, etc ..( I know the videos are a little old LOL but they helped me a lot and of course, I still have a lot to learn lol) Squad Movement Formations & Techniqueshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRues4Fwrk

Comment

Originally posted by BitmapLuke View Post
                              Hey Crawlingeye very good post about squad formations, and tks for that :D (it´s always nice see how TG members share knoledge and help each other)

But just to complement your information a few days ago I was looking for videos about squad movement on the battlefield and some tactics and formations and I ended up with this channel (OE TSC G&V) on youtube, which ended up helping me a lot. If any of you (who do not yet know) and you are interested feel free to explore the channel's playlists, do not just talk about squad movement but also cover other topics like surviving, fire support, land navigation, ambush, etc ..( I know the videos are a little old LOL but they helped me a lot and of course, I still have a lot to learn lol) Squad Movement Formations & Techniqueshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRues4Fwrk
                              Good find Luke. Just watched it. Great information.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X