Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOBs, and HABS, and What to Do With Them

Good day Everyone!

I think everyone so far has read or heard about the coming goodies in the A9 release: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=147

With those goodies are the changes to the FOB spawning mechanics. You will no longer be able to spawn off of the radio, but rather, you will need to have two pieces in play to spawn; the radio and the new HABS.

From my understanding, these two things (the FOB and HABS) may be placed some distance from, or next to, each other.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss ahead of the release how to use this new system. Where to place FOBs and HABS, and the pros and cons of each, or any other aspect of the system.

I am looking forward to the discussion! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Asta85; 03-07-2017, 02:04 PM.

People are probably going to be so focused on defending the HABS that they will forget about the radio and it will get dug up :D But radios should be much harder to find considering there will not be a flood of people coming from them at least.

Comment

This will make squad leaders think more on where to position a FOB. Just can't stick it in the woods under a tree anymore.

Comment

The radio is still the lynch pin of the whole system. Once it goes down, the HABS go away, the ammo boxes go away, any defensive emplacements go away. The radio needs to be placed in a hidden location still, but I'm wondering if it shouldn't be relatively close to the HABS just for the simplicity of defending it.

To Killer's point, defense of the HABS is going to be all-consuming for a lot of players, most likely to the detriment of defending a flag. With this in mind, it will be interesting to see if we see FOBs placed directly on the flag zone as a standard operating procedure instead of being shunned by the general community as it is now (for the most part). This may help reduce some of the lone-wolf FOB-hunting we see happening now as a result of this change.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out with the larger maps. I do know one thing for sure - your logistics trucks are absolutely vital to the team's ability to maintain any territory that they've captured and also for helping to sustain any type of an advance on an enemy controlled objective. Things should slow down a bit in the game because of this. Good changes, can't wait to actually use them.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Probably will have to do like it was posted earlier. Have an actual squad dedicated to drive a logistics truck and do nothing but FOB's. Have half the squad defend it while the other half gather materials. So an FOB squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthauk View Post
            Probably will have to do like it was posted earlier. Have an actual squad dedicated to drive a logistics truck and do nothing but FOB's. Have half the squad defend it while the other half gather materials. So an FOB squad.
            Logistics squads are a key element in Project Reality and I see no difference here. Good point Nighthauk.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Logistic squads in project reality were so fun have 2 humvees and a logi convoy through Ramiel :D But like Dispo said i have a feeling FOBS on flags will be a much much bigger thing in v9 since they will be so obvious in location it would be near impossible to defend a flag and a FOB thats 150-200m away from it with just one squad.

Comment

I think this will "introduce" another "way" to play. As already mentioned by some of you guys, the battlefield will expand, we will not be limited to fighting only for the flags, but we will have to have territorial control!
                I'm excited about this, changes that will come to further improve the game!

Comment

My personal, quite unpopular rule for fobs:

There is no such thing as a bad fob location.

This is because in my opinion whether a fob is in an effective location is 100% situational. I'll explain that in depth later. Most people have very strong beliefs about where fobs should or shouldn't be. This leads to a lot of unnecessary conflict. Their theories are based entirely on the current "meta" in a sense that they are based around what works given the average way the game is played. These theories don't even take into account that the average player on the opposing team has exactly the same plan based off the same experience. Thus the opponents know where the other team is going to "hide" those fobs even before the round starts.

Also realize that as soon as people play differently the whole theory is worthless on another level. In this game the range of possibilities is just so great even now, that to have fixed rules on things like fobs or other things.

Fob location is 100% situational.

For brevity I will just list some of the questions I think are good to ask, roughly in order of importance

-Does the team have a least one spawn?

Squads may change leadership, RP's may go down. The team should imo always try to have at least one fob active. Consider dropping a (temporary) fob where you are standing!

-Are people going to defend it?

You can put a fib in the middle of the road. If you are able to keep the enemy away from it by numbers, terrain advantage or other factors, then the fob is good. This question's answer leads to either hiding the fob or not. A fob that has many people spawning on it isn't actually hidden anyway.

-Is the overall team strategy attrition or taking the entire map?

Most of the time both teams play to cap all flags. But if you are (forced) on the defensive, a different approach might be good. The way I see it, a team going for capping out the opfor, should place as many fobs as possible and should not at all mind losing some fobs and associated tickets. Since your plan is to overwhelm and destroy the enemy you should take every opportunity to keep the offensive going.If your plan is to win by KO, no need to count the punches.

A team on the defensive on the other hand, will usually have lost some organisation, has often lost control of some areas behind them. Imo they should try to have backup fobs, but the cost of losing fobs is a problem for the defender much more than the attacker.

-How can I make that worst ever fob location work for me?

There is always a reason someone places a fob somewhere. I think much of the anger (mine too :p) comes from differences in play-styles. Certain fob locations kind of limit the possible ways a game can develop. I think the best thing to do in such cases is to find a different way to play how you wanted to play, given the restrictions of what another squad has done. Maybe attack somewhere else. Maybe go help the squad that just did that stupid thing, and make their plan work.

That is the beauty of this game. There are so many possibilities. You never know what the enemy is going to do, and even the dumbest plans work sometimes. A broken clock is right twice a day.

-------------

On the new update: I'm very excited to see the new mechanics at work soon, I think requiring supplies for spawning will be great for gameplay. I posted the principles above because they are what I learnt over the years of playing Project Reality, and they imo are valid over all the iterations of spawning mechanics. The tactics of placement, defense, logistics etc. change with the mechanics, but the overall principles stay the same.

Comment

I feel they lack the number of logistics trucks to make this work well. You have a large map with 1 truck. Someone who doesn't know how to use it wastes it. Game over.

Comment

Brilliant post Al! That is the type of discussion I was looking for. Learning to think outside-the-box/meta and be creative. I think the questions you posed are great, and are the kind of thing that will help myself and other experienced Squad players advance. Well done sir!

What are some additional things to ask or do that might be good for a new SL to think about as it relates to FOBs/HABS? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Asta85 View Post
                        What are some additional things to ask or do that might be good for a new SL to think about as it relates to FOBs/HABS? Anyone?
                        I don't get to play very much, but I from what I've read about HABS...I would say a good starting tactic would be the following example. Place the radio down; place the HABS a little to the north of the radio; place a RP to the south of the radio. If the HABS comes under attack you can shift your defense north; if the RP disappears you can shift south, etc. Also if the HABS is under heavy assault you can spawn at the RP to push in from a different direction to clear it. If two squads are defending a FOB, space the RPs out so you have more 360 degree coverage of the radio and the RPs act as "tripwires" alerting you to enemy moving in towards the radio. Try to spawn on the HABS and only spawn on the RPs if absolutely necessary. As always, SMs need to keep the SL aware of when the RP needs to be refreshed.

Probably needs tweaking but it could be a good starting point.

Comment

How many HAB's would you place as a team? Right now FOB's are extremely common to find peppering the map.

With the importance of an HAB and the amount of points it takes, I'd imagine you'd want it somewhat defended is it's close to the active line of fire. Then you'd also have to have a logistics guy making runs more often now... new dynamic that could be fun!

Comment

I think the best part of HABs is that you can spawn in a radio load it up with points and not deploy the HAB until it is needed. Have everyone spawn from the main HAB and if it goes down spawn at the rally that is next to the radio and drop a new HAB for the team, or if you need to advance to the next objective have that HAB built from the preloaded Radio.

Yes! Logistics is back and I can not wait to start making it work.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                              I think the best part of HABs is that you can spawn in a radio load it up with points and not deploy the HAB until it is needed. Have everyone spawn from the main HAB and if it goes down spawn at the rally that is next to the radio and drop a new HAB for the team, or if you need to advance to the next objective have that HAB built from the preloaded Radio.

Yes! Logistics is back and I can not wait to start making it work.
                              I agree. I'm going to still drop fobs everywhere.. even if no truck to supply it later in game it can be used.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X