V9 tips, tricks and observations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V9 tips, tricks and observations

Some of us have been playing 0.9 for weeks now, and I had been thinking about how to make this post. However, Z-Trooper did one directly from the devs, so I wanted to just drop his here instead. Feel free to ask questions and give comments. This stuff is really going to help.....

V9 is one of those updates that on the surface doesn't seem like it does much, but the sum of its parts is what brings it all together.  
    In some ways balance is better, but can also easily be disturbed if people aren't up to date with things. We expect chaos on the public servers for several weeks before it starts to settle, but I thought I would share some tips, tricks and insight in to some of the common themes to your enjoyment and experiences on the V9 battlefield.

These tips are from the intended core mechanics as well as observations made of successful/unsuccessful teams and strategies during our extensive play testing over the last month.

This is not a commentary of what Squad should or shouldn't be nor what the future holds, but meant as an aide for V9.

In no particular order:

- Try not to one-man vehicles. Sure it can work, and it is fairly effective in V8. In V9 the vehicle eco system is substantially larger and many times the ability to move and fire is critical to win or loss in an engagement. Remember that you are handling the responsibility of a substantial asset for your team, even if it doesn't have the biggest gun in the game. Many times vehicle fights are won or lost by the side that shouldn't have because of how the vehicle was crewed.

- Transport is important. Especially on the 4k maps with the new FOB changes. If your APC or transport truck can't successfully kill the enemies vehicles it is still a vital asset for you when you need to move to your next objective. Loosing your vehicle(s) is a great way to get stranded on defense duty on back line objective once the cap chain advances.

- MTLB variants are not tanks. They are very thinly armed, even the version that has the big gun. Use them to transport your squads and offer light support. Keep them at safe distances or behind cover.

- MTLBs with the NSV; don't use it offensively as it will loose most vehicle fights. And as a reminder, the Insurgent variant with the PKT cannot hurt any armored vehicles, only trucks and technicals. You WILL loose a vehicle fight. Infantry transport and anti infantry suppression only.

- Check the camo pattern and map icons of vehicles before you engage. Since several factions now share similar vehicles it is extra important to check what you shoot at. On the flip side, we have seen quite a number of crafty Militia players manage to sneak vehicles well in to the Russian's back lines or trick them in to blue on blue incidents in the confusion.

- BTR-80 vs Stryker matchup. This match up will occur rather often and has a clear winner. If you are the BTR-80 do not engage a Stryker 1v1 unless you have something else going for you. The Stryker is highly resistant to .50 cal and 14.5mm rounds and the BTR-80 will need to reload mid battle to have a hope of defeating a Stryker. Plan for hit and run or better yet have infantry or another vehicle as support.

- Sneaky FOBs. We get it, it is going to be a hard **HAB**it to shake. You are welcome to try it, but we have observed several strong positions getting overrun because the radio and/or HAB was placed in a 'sneaky' location that was too far away from assistance. These simply get overrun by a guy with a shovel, denying spawn capability and then the radio. They can still work, but it comes with a risk.

- Shovel your HABs all the way! As mentioned above, the HABs can be unshoveled to stop the flow of enemy reinforcements. If the enemy was lazy it only takes a few hits of the shovel, if they shovel it all the way it is much harder for a single dude to ruin your sneaky FOB.

- Penetration. Remember that infantry can now penetrate light covers. If you know or suspect infantry on the other side of thin metal, trash or wooden objects light it up!

- Don't loose your vehicle, especially on 4k maps. If nothing else, than to keep vehicle support nearby in case an enemy shows up. Risky behavior can leave you hanging should the enemies show up in force.

- Have a FOB. No really. Have a **Forward Operating Base**. Especially on 4k maps. The time to get back to main to rearm and repair is easily felt on the battlefield. Less kills for your gunners, less suppression of enemy movement paths and less ability to react to the enemy team and threats. You also need to keep your LATs fed with rockets. Having a hub for activity behind the front lines appears to be very successful.

- Emplacements. They are still not the best, but when you combine them with a vehicle, it presents the enemy vehicles with multiple targets. Forcing a choice will often yield a mistake from your enemy and add a few extra chunks of damage.

- Infantry disembark, vehicle covers. Coordinate movement and roll over the enemy. See an objective? Don't just roll up on it and bail and franticly try to react to the RPG you just got hit by. Disembark outside of the area. Have the vehicle hang back and slowly advance. Let infantry clear the LATs and call out positions for the vehicle to open up on (remember penetration!).

- Slow is fast. Rushing seems good, and it often is. Vehicles still aren't perfect and we still see them lost due to poor choices and stress. Getting somewhere 1 min earlier is not always worth it if you loose your vehicle before even getting half way there.

- When the round is over, give mad props to the medic with the highest number of revives. A kill is the same amount of tickets as a revive. I suggest the community adopts (kill+revive)/death ratio rather than kill/death for e-penis measuring purposes :)

- Don't get cocky kid! Remember that if you are a big bad Stryker pwning Insurgents or Militia for days, you can very easily be taken out by a HAT round.

- Insurgents, have your SL and an RPG on a bike, leave the rest unspawned and go set down an RP behind enemy lines.

- Reminder that a vehicle on fire doesn't necessarily mean that the vehicle is close to death. The BTR80 and BRDM-2's main gun fires API (armor piercing **incendiary**) rounds which is good at setting targets alight, it doesn't mean that it will die momentarily just because it is on fire. HEAT rounds are similarly are good at igniting vehicles.

I hope these tips will help smooth out some of the initial teething issues that the community will have with V9. These are not definitive answers to how the meta should evolve, but helpful tips that come from observing how the community has dealt with the tools they have been given up until now.

/Z
    Obviously at TG our admins will ensure that there is limited chaos on OUR server, and we value your help and support in reporting incidents to us on TS, Discord and in the CAA thread. Keep it up guys - this game is fast evolving into what we all want it to be!

Now, onto 0.10....

Experiences play testing:

Logistics are *critical* to a team's ability to perform. There is no other way around it, you absolutely need supplies.

"Sneaky FOBs" are no longer viable.

Squads need to stick together. Medics are crucial to keeping momentum. Many shovels make for light work - get that HABS up ASAP!

SLs need to learn to use the direct channel to other SLs.

Roads are death traps for light vehicles. The big boys drive on them, so you need to stay off because running head-first into an on-coming 30mm is going to ruin the paint job on your truck.

Kokan looks bigger with the lighting change, and it is welcomed!

The expansion of Gorodock and Yehorivka make transport crucial.

Lastly, those that have played in my squads already know this, but DEFENSE is critical now, because the large map size and bad habits with transport vehicles means that losing a flag is going to be a recipe for disaster as the other team will just steam roll you. You can't run from flag to flag quickly any more - it takes a lot of time to get where you need to go.

Last lastly: Following on the above point, setting up rear radios/HABs is going to be absolutely critical to an effective defense strategy.

I do like the idea of building an actual FOB somewhere on the map for vehicle repair and rearm without having to RTB. This is going to have to find a balance with manpower and need to defend the position against defending flags (unless you FOB up a flag), but we will have to work that out as time goes on.

Excited to see this release. Hopefully it is today.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Additional notes -

Like Dispo said - defence now reigns supreme. Back in the day some TG In House Squads made their name in being dug in like ticks (Looking at you 1stMIP) and no one ever wanted to attack a flag they owned. Its harder to attack than defend, particularly now that range distance and logistics are starting to stretch out. Hold your flags.

The vehicles are vital - lose them and you lose the game. They are transport first, weapons platforms second. Know what vehicle can do what. Even a stryker and 30mm BTR should not be on the front line - they should ideally be mechanised infantry platforms who role in, capture and roll out. Or used as a QRF for the appearance of an enemy APC/IFV.

Lose FOBs and lose the game - think about your placement. FOBs on a flag are even LESS viable now. Utilise the 400m spacing and mobility of your forces.

The Stryker in particular will take some getting used too. It will mow through infantry, is fast, and well armoured against .50. However it will get torn to pieces by a 30mm. Up close or at range doesn't matter - it loses this fight. Be smart, be mobile and have support. I can see this being a problem until people adapt. Awaiting calls of "USA Underpowered!"
      Last edited by Jeepo; 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Remember - APC stands for Armored Personnel Carrier

Not TANK

Comment

Re APC type variants and their use.

In my opinion they should very rarely be on the objective. A Vehicles strength is tied to its mobility, which counters its weakness, its size and audio signature.

APCs should transport troops, drop them off and then provide support by fire at range.

The closer you are to an objective the more danger you face. Most objectives are built up areas, don't drive on a maze with hard cover everywhere that allows enemy AT to blindside you. Your weapons systems will be much less effective in confined areas obviously, turret limitations etc.

There is a reason those big ole guns have so much zoom, use it. By retaining distance you retain mobility allowing you to constantly reposition, this improves both your offensive and defensive capability.

Think of it this way. You're enemy infantry AT, what shot do you want to take at an APC, the one at close range with readily available hard cover or a long shot across an open field against a 30mm with zoom. Worse still do you want to have to leave cover to make the shot because that APC is utilising its mobility and constantly repositioning.

As the operator of the APC blasting an objective from range, you'll see the AT launch due to visual sign. You will then be able to reposition and hammer that location from relative safety.

When HEAT rounds are introduced this will upgrade from effective to Devastating.

Comment

After playing a bit the past few nights I also see the importance of possibly building a few sand bags or Hesco's to protect against spawn camping the HAB.

Another aspect that I would like to ask you guys, is it wise to waste a HEAT rocket on anything but the heavy verticals now? Last night we were playing and some kid was going ham shooting any vehicle (even abandoned), Ended up not having enough rockets to take down a heavy vehicle that ended up stomping our advancement on a flag.

I could see hitting a full Logi Truck, but anything past that would be a "no" for me. Troop transport you can have your bullets taken them out, even against a Logi if you need to be frugal with your rockets you can take out the driver.

Thoughts?

Comment

Another, I'd almost suggest placing your HAB behind your radio. That way you always have eyes on it when troops are spawning and heading to a point. To many times the radio is far behind and you can't react fast enough to protect it from the invaders.

Comment

Defending a point --------50 meters--------radio-------50 meters---------HAB

*using 50 meters as example of distance*

Comment

Originally posted by Gaunt View Post
                  After playing a bit the past few nights I also see the importance of possibly building a few sand bags or Hesco's to protect against spawn camping the HAB.

Another aspect that I would like to ask you guys, is it wise to waste a HEAT rocket on anything but the heavy verticals now? Last night we were playing and some kid was going ham shooting any vehicle (even abandoned), Ended up not having enough rockets to take down a heavy vehicle that ended up stomping our advancement on a flag.

I could see hitting a full Logi Truck, but anything past that would be a "no" for me. Troop transport you can have your bullets taken them out, even against a Logi if you need to be frugal with your rockets you can take out the driver.

Thoughts?
                  I generally do not allow killing empty vehicles in my squad unless there is a source of ammo near by. Of course, there are always exceptions, such as finding a full logistics truck or some form of a weapons platform such as a technical or humvee. Especially now, with much larger and deadlier beasts roaming the maps, preserving AT rounds is crucial.

Yesterday on Chora my squad was engaged with a Stryker for about 15 minutes. We would hit it 2 or 3 times and send it back to it's main for repairs only to have it come back after us again. Wash-rinse-repeat. We didn't seem to have enough AT rounds to finish the job. So the lesson is that until there are heavy versions of anti-tank weaponry available in the game, you need to preserve as many rounds as possible to at least force the threat away if you can't defeat it outright. Non-moving trucks are not a threat. Moving, armored vehicles with big, nasty guns are.

Comment

disposableHero

Ammo crates are critical now, more than ever, due to the beastliness of Armour. Additionally I think it's critical that AT really thinks about its role in the squad and that both LAT troop's work in tandem. They don't have to be on top of each other, in fact it's better if they aren't.

They do have to work together and communicate well in conjunction with the SL. I think the Squad needs to immediately switch gears as soon as the Armour threat is identified. The AT and SL should focus on the Armour and the rest of the squad bodyguards them from any infantry threat. Where possible ammo needs to go down, ready.

Ambushing Armour is going to be very important and I think FOB and ammo placement will need to adapt to reflect this. The fob placement strategy of old will need to evolve to take into account likely high traffic areas of enemy Armour, effectively switching from hidden spawn points to active checkpoints/blocking positions. I hope and believe this will lead to more teamwork as it will shift from a pure focus on flags to a degree of emphasis on territory control. This pleases me! More of the map comes into play.

Armour is a killer if you let it run free and don't adapt to the threat. However they are valuable assets and if you can restrict Armour mobility and destroy them where possible you inflict heavy losses and hinder the enemy team's overall mobility and ability to deploy troops.

Comment

A 'tethered goat' fob can be used to give the 'come on' to Armour which up to now I've seen played pretty aggressively, almost suicidally so. A troublesome strong point on the map is often a tempting target for Armour. I've watched people press an area with AT threats rather than use range and infantry to neutralise the AT threat first, ie classic Mech Inf.

It may be possible to bait aggressive Armour into a trap where you can coordinate At with a good supply of Ammo. As it's a FOB you should be able to get two squad's worth of AT on target with a little coordination, that's 4 AT or 8 rockets before resupply. Enough to handle most threats.

Lastly as AT repositioning after your first shot is critical. You should get in the habit as infantry obviously but as AT its key to success. Painful experience has shown me that as soon as you loose your first rocket every man and his dog will try and kill you. You are now the Armours no 1priority. Enemy infantry squads will focus on you. Shoot, reposition, shoot. Work with your fellow At to get two hits simultaneously from separate locations if possible. Work quick!

Trying to hit the Armour ambush style from two very different angles works well, ie as close to front and rear as possible. This disorients your target and means they don't know whether to pull forward or back, the usual first reaction. Hem them in. Create a kill box. Angled shots give you greater margin of error in ensuring hits as opposed to attempting a broadside on a moving target etc.

Comment

Originally posted by disposableHero View Post

I generally do not allow killing empty vehicles in my squad unless there is a source of ammo near by. Of course, there are always exceptions, such as finding a full logistics truck or some form of a weapons platform such as a technical or humvee. Especially now, with much larger and deadlier beasts roaming the maps, preserving AT rounds is crucial.

Yesterday on Chora my squad was engaged with a Stryker for about 15 minutes. We would hit it 2 or 3 times and send it back to it's main for repairs only to have it come back after us again. Wash-rinse-repeat. We didn't seem to have enough AT rounds to finish the job. So the lesson is that until there are heavy versions of anti-tank weaponry available in the game, you need to preserve as many rounds as possible to at least force the threat away if you can't defeat it outright. Non-moving trucks are not a threat. Moving, armored vehicles with big, nasty guns are.
                        Soon enough 1-2 lats will destroy a Stryker and BTR, with 1 killing trucks and Hummvees. THEN you will have tanks to content with however, a very different beast.....

Comment

Thanks for the timely replies everyone! Glad I'm not going crazy and I'm thinking the same as you. On another note, I understand this is the first week of the new patch and people are experimenting, but this is an example of what good FOB/HAB/Vehicle placement does for a team... even if it's just a single squad.

Below you will see where my Stryker is placed, had excellent over watch over an enemy FOB/HAB/ and main transit route. KILLER had 50 kills in an over watch position and the rest of my squad was pushed out to form a line North to South at *D-6-6*.

Capture1.JPG

Even though we easily had less capture points held the entire round I had an amazing squad that won the round for us in the end.
                          Capture.JPG

This just shows that in the new patch you don't have to worry about captured points as much as great squad placement.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Another, thing I highly recommend.

Place double stacked sand bags or hesco blocks around your HAB to protect your guys spawning in!

I'm not talking about building a fortress, just something to prevent anyone shooting in and minimizing area damage from explosives. This gives your guys a fighting chance so they can get their compass directions down and understand where threats may be located.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaunt View Post
                              Thanks for the timely replies everyone! Glad I'm not going crazy and I'm thinking the same as you. On another note, I understand this is the first week of the new patch and people are experimenting, but this is an example of what good FOB/HAB/Vehicle placement does for a team... even if it's just a single squad.

Below you will see where my Stryker is placed, had excellent over watch over an enemy FOB/HAB/ and main transit route. KILLER had 50 kills in an over watch position and the rest of my squad was pushed out to form a line North to South at *D-6-6*.

Capture1.JPG

Even though we easily had less capture points held the entire round I had an amazing squad that won the round for us in the end.
                              Capture.JPG

This just shows that in the new patch you don't have to worry about captured points as much as great squad placement.
                              Great points - area denial is a big thing. If you can't seize an area, make sure the other side can't, or hurt the hell out of him for it.

As more assets get added (start thinking proper IFVs, tanks, choppers and attack helos, jets), and mortars come in area denial will be more important. I am all for infantry "playing the flag" but that doesn't mean being ON it all the time - and usually for a vehicle in my opinion it means the opposite - sitting off it in an overwatch position.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X