Crazydrunks Thoughts on Squad leading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Crazydrunks Thoughts on Squad leading

Hey all been wanting to make a post for a while about squad leading. I know there is one already but everyone has a different opinion on it. So I will hit a few points on things I think are important. I pretty much always squad lead. It is rare for me to do much else. ANd if I am not lead I end up being a medic. Some background on me for those who do not know. I am a Fire instructor and teach classes a few times a month. I take all my leading experience from real world. I believe there is 2 different types of squad leading. Passive and Active. There is also Squad leading when it comes to squads with armor. This will be more important as they add in more vehicles and assets. So here we go.

Disclaimer: I am eating lunch and cannot spell.. Just so you have a heads up.

Active Leading: Being in the fight on the frontlines with the guys.
    Passive Leading: Being in the back with guys who know what needs done with some direction.

So I feel with the right group of people. Say when I SL a group of TG community players. WE all know how each other work for the most part. We know what the people like and what skills they have. So I can passively say lets hit this obj, or hold this spot. I do not have to worry about people wondering off or doing there own thing. The group pretty much self leads and all I have to do is monitor the map. This makes making decisions much easier because you have time to do as you need as SL and not worry about babysitting your guys.

On the other end when you get a squad of newer players or people who do not like to follow orders. This is when you physically have to walk them to where you want them to go. This is bad because I am usually in the very front and have my map up trying to do physical leading and working with the other SL. This usually ends up on me being a bullet magnet. I die all the time from this.

I feel SL should never be in the front of the squad walking. The SL should be near the middle with medics spread out. The squad with a marker or OBJ marked should be able to get there without being told where to go.

THE BEST TOOL TO A SL IS HIS GUYS AND HIS MAP!

Every SL should be always marking positions on the map for other squads and relaying any pertinent info on to others. It is very hard to make a attack on something not knowing there is a huge piece of armor there waiting on you when the other squads afterwards let you know they knew it was there. I feel this will get better once they implement a commander role like PR had. 1 Person to coordinate SL and try to get them all where they need to be. Right now it seems no one will want to defend and then when they say they do.. It gets quiet and they walk away. This cannot happen.

Now when you SL for a squad operating armor or other assets I feel the role changes. You are not so worried about what you need but what the team as a whole needs. You have to place your armor where it can help the whole team. Where you can support a push or defend one. Most people like to drive them in and die. And that is not good for anyone. They are also currently the main source of transport. IF you have 2.. 1 should be supporting fire from a hilltop and another taking guys near a fight. Never into the middle of a fight. Armor should avoid buildings and confined spaces at all times .

In the end I know that not everyone is cut out to SL. But I feel everyone should try. SL has a lot of decisions that need to be made quickly. They also needs to be able to adapt to changing situations on the fly without having to stop to think about it. If you have to stop to think or slow down to make a decision sometimes it is needed. But sometimes it gets you all killed. Best thing to a SL is a squad willing to listen and do what is needed. DO NOT QUESTION DECISIONS. If you want to do this make your own squad. I have no problem as a SL if people have suggestions. But can not stand people saying how things should be done.

So in conclusion.
    1. Lead from the middle
    2. Keep the map updated and keep a plan
    3. Know your guys and if you need to babysit or if you can let them work.
    4. Make sure to assist the team.

The end goal is a WIN. But it does not always happen. If it doesn't all that matters is we know how we can better ourselfs for the next one.

Great stuff!

Comment

Nice post and very helpfull info Crazydrunk1 It's always a pleasure playing along with you whatever as SL or SM.

I know that is not the point, but maybe squad should add some "drills" for who want improve or be SL cause sometimes there some guys with good intention but without experience to lead.

Comment

Originally posted by BitmapLuke View Post
        Nice post and very helpfull info Crazydrunk1 It's always a pleasure playing along with you whatever as SL or SM.

I know that is not the point, but maybe squad should add some "drills" for who want improve or be SL cause sometimes there some guys with good intention but without experience to lead.
        This is something being worked on with the Tactical Gamer University - hopefully something will be ready soon enough.

Comment

Jeepo I have told disoo I would love to be a part of tgu

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post

This is something being worked on with the Tactical Gamer University - hopefully something will be ready soon enough.
            Can't waiting for that man!

Comment

Very good post. Some other key points as a SL. Don't worry if you make a wrong decision. Stick to what you have decided unless someone else may have a good solid suggestion to take from.

What I do when I SL, which is pretty rare now, I break the squad down into 2 fire teams. It's easier to control. I mention names on who is on which fire team so that they know. Also makes it easier to do flanks and fire lanes. Yeah, I'm more of a passive leader myself. I've served 8 years active Army with Joint Special Operations Command. I have a pretty good idea when it comes to tactics. The problem we have with this game sometimes, is you get that person that is great in COD and they think that they can Rambo the game. I usually set them straight right up front. If you don't follow the directions of the SL or decide to do your own thing and do not respond either via chat or by mic, then you will not stay inside of my squad.

I run 2 types of squads, a recon/defense squad and a logistics squad.

The recon/defense squad is exactly that... we spread out looking for enemy FOB's and relay the intel to other squad leaders. If we make contact, we return fire and get the hell out of there. On defense, we usually will support another squad by clearing out an area that is taking heavy fire by flanking the enemy to help provide support.

Now my logistics squad is very similar to what BigGayAl does. I'll run a 4-5 man team with one logistics truck to resupply FOBs. 2 inside the truck to drive and navigate and 3 on the ground building structures and providing support for the incoming supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post

Boy oh Boy.... Asta85 I think that was a hint. HA

Comment

Originally posted by Gaunt View Post

Boy oh Boy.... Asta85 I think that was a hint. HA
                  It's coming and sooner than you think!

Also, great post Nighthauk. My squad is generally good at attack, but usually gets stuck on defense to fill the gap other SLs leave behind.

Crazy, thanks for starting this thread. Good stuff. I think you'll be a TGU Instructor in no time.

Comment

I would love it Asta85 . Hope to be able to at some point.

Comment

So a update.. I am seeing more and more new people. and more and more failed squads because people have no general idea of how to control people or what needs done.. The biggest flaw I have seen in communication. SL not talking to others or not doing anything for that matter.. I am seeing FOBS not being built.. They should have a fob every 400m. Supplied or not... the more spawns the more win.. Just how I feel. We need to have a class on communication.. And I feel we need to always have 2 if not more TG squads.. Or even if its a non TG squad have a vet player talk to the SL and ask if they could assist them in learning.

Comment

^ agree!

Comment

One thing that does concern me with covering the maps in FOB's is that it 'feeds the machine' if they are placed carelessly. I already see squad after squad with very negative k/d. I only mention it from a ticket perspective. I hope more SL's will work on keeping people alive, working with medics and relying less on a vast network of FOB's to simply attempt to Russian steamroller the opposition.

FOB's that give you options = thumbs up
                          FOB's that are basically lemming factory's = thumbs down lol

Comment

Originally posted by Crazydrunk1 View Post
                            So a update.. I am seeing more and more new people. and more and more failed squads because people have no general idea of how to control people or what needs done.. The biggest flaw I have seen in communication. SL not talking to others or not doing anything for that matter.. I am seeing FOBS not being built.. They should have a fob every 400m. Supplied or not... the more spawns the more win.. Just how I feel. We need to have a class on communication.. And I feel we need to always have 2 if not more TG squads.. Or even if its a non TG squad have a vet player talk to the SL and ask if they could assist them in learning.
                            This.

The problem I have encountered is that when you mention to the SL he is not really being an SL, rather just being a glorified rifleman, the response is usually negative. Like you have insulted their manhood or something. The last episode involved an SL playing gunner on a Stryker and yelling at his driver to go, stop, go, stop, go, stop. Literally screaming go, stop, go, stop until the driver told him its only a game and to calm down. He spent a goodly portion of the match doing this. Finally, I mentioned the SL might want to pass the lead to someone who would actually squad lead if he would rather gun the Stryker for the round. I would have gladly taken over for a bit.

But, this of course produced the expected result and I was answered with, "We have a rally down, so you shut the f*** up." Things got sporty from there.

Seems that new SLs focus on the rally point being their only real duty and fail to understand that they need to be more involved in the logistics, base building and coordination with other squads. Sometimes you get lucky and have an SL that'll listen. Often though, you find 'one of those guys' who knows better than everyone else and leads his squad (and round) to ruin.

I agree on the two TG squads idea and I've mentioned it several times in voice. One cardinal rule I think should be implemented is "never trust another squad to do something they say they are going to do... unless it is a TG squad." Perhaps not a cardinal rule, but something to always keep in the back of your head and plan for accordingly.

Guess I'm just spoiled by good squad leaders.

Regards,
                            Celt

Last edited by Celt; 04-19-2017, 09:38 AM. Reason: *Edit 'cause i no spel gud

Comment

Originally posted by Celt View Post

"never trust another squad to do something they say they are going to do... unless it is a TG squad."
                              This is most applicable when they say they are playing defense.

We cannot count the amount of times a non-TG squad has been tasked with defending a capture point, only to find out 2 minutes later the entire defensive perimeter has disintegrated because their squad leader got wind of an enemy fob 10 grid squares away.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X