A quick post on what TG is about and what wearing the tags means

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick post on what TG is about and what wearing the tags means

This is an exciting time at TacticalGamer. We're seeing a pretty sizable influx of new players becoming involved in the community: new TG tag-wearing players appear almost daily on the Squad server, our Teamspeak Squad channel seems to have at least a dozen people in it every day, our Steam Squad group almost has 250 members and our Discord server is getting more active every day. As Squad continues to develop and grow, our community is growing right along with it. This is great, and I'm thrilled to see it all happening.

The first thing most people hear when they ask "How do I join TG?" is usually "Tactical Gamer is not a clan, it is a community."

This response seems like a fairly obvious distinction to those of us who have been involved with Tactical Gamer for a while, and it usually surprises a few players who ask. We have no recruiting process. We have no activity requirements. We do not require dues to run the server (it is paid for by Supporting Members, who donate monthly or annually). We only ask that players read the server rules, The Primer and the Code of Conduct, and agree to abide by those before they put on the |TG| tags. Wearing those tags signifies that you have read those and agree to follow them.

The Primer states:

Tactical Gamer was founded with a few very simple principles:

1) Create an environment conducive for mature gamers to enjoy the games they play without the everyday interference from the less-than-mature gamers.

2) Create an environment where there was mutual respect for your fellow gamers and where all members would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine, regardless of the level of advantage, if any, it gives over the opposing team.
    This seems simple enough, and the Primer is the foundation for our rules on the server itself. Boiled down to it's simplest form, it's really this: Don't be a jerk and try to play as a team.

However, there are a few things I want to address as a broader reminder to all, not just the new guys.

To me, wearing the TG tags means the following:
    • You will follow your SL orders. If the SL asked you to do something, you do it. You'll also help your SL with the rest of the squad, which means if someone else in the squad is not doing as the SL asks, you'll remind them of what they need to be doing. Being a SL can be a difficult position and it's tough to keep track of the 8 other guys in the squad some times. He'll really appreciate any help you can give.
    • You won't give up 5 seconds after you go down in a fire fight. You'll wait for your medics to get to you, and you might even wait for another squad's medic to get to you. You might even ask the SL first if it is ok to give up and re-spawn.
    • Speaking of spawning, you'll always ask your SL where he wants you to spawn and wait patiently for the answer.
    • You won't spawn at main assuming the SL is just going to give you a vehicle because you want one. Remember, you're following the SL orders and his plan. If you want to do something else, then start your own squad next time.
    • You'll maintain radio discipline when asked to or when it's "go" time. This means using local as much as possible and squad radio only for important information.
    • Speaking of coms discipline, you won't spam music without asking first, and you won't be obnoxious on global coms between rounds.
    • You'll be aware of the current weapon status in the squad. Are you "green", "yellow" or "red"? If you're not sure, then you'll ask first before you shoot.
    • When you do take contact, you'll try to give clear, concise, accurate information to your SL while keeping it as brief as possible. In the chaos of contact with the enemy, coms go haywire. The ability to provide information to your SL helps your squad eliminate the threats, so do it.
    • Conversely, you won't give the squad a play-by-play of every fire fight you're in.
    • You'll offer to play a role other than one you might want to play if the SL is asking for volunteers because it's a game based on teamwork, not individual K/D ratios.
    • You won't take a marksman or sniper kit without asking.
    • You'll stick with your squad and not lone wolf around without asking the SL first. You'll check the map often to make sure you haven't got tunnel vision and mistakenly wandered away from your squad. Remember, medics can't come get you if you're 200 meters away by yourself.
    • You'll welcome new players to the game and show them how to play different roles, especially medic if they have one of those kits. You'll make it your mission to help them experience great teamwork and show them how much fun the game can be when a squad works together to achieve a goal, win or lose.
    • You won't backseat squad lead.
    • You'll try to remember that dropping a "f-bomb" every other word gets old, and quick to most players.

This is just the start of the list of what it means, to me, to wear the TG tags and the behavior I expect to see out of those that do. More importantly, it is this type of behavior that I want us to show people who are not wearing TG tags. Show them our best. Show them what we're about and how we strive to be different, not how we claim to be different but we're really just the same but with different tags in front of our names. Be a leader by example.

I'll close with this: As an admin, I hold players that wear TG tags to a much higher standard than the normal player. I expect, demand really, better. I want to start seeing more of it. Let's work hard at exemplifying the principles laid out in the Primer and show others what a great community Tactical Gamer is. It might not be for everyone, and that's just fine with me, but it is for some - those are the players I want everyone to help bring into the community.

Remember, wearing the tags is a privilege, not a right, and it makes you an ambassador to our community. Let's try our best to act like it.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Great post!

Comment

Oh, one other point I wanted to make: Stacking teams.

I know we all like to play with our friends - that's why a lot of us have stayed with Tactical Gamer and keep coming here to play every day. I get that, believe me.

I would ask that we try to spread ourselves out over both teams as often as possible and resist the urge to all switch teams because there are more |TG| players on the other team. If we all stack, every single game, then it leaves a horrible impression on those players that are new to our server, especially if we happen to be winning a few rounds in a row (and we're all well aware we lose quite a few with stacked teams as well).

Let's make an effort to stay on the team we join in on and not switch unless there is already an imbalance of tags on that team. We can set aside one or two days a week to all play with friends, but in the meantime let's spread out and provide leadership on both teams.

Thanks!

Comment

Good post. Will work to improve.

Comment

I have seen quite a few brackets instead of the bars as well. [TG] <------ those and not these |TG|. Maybe im just OCD but it bugs me :D lol. Also is there a space or no space between the TG tags and you name? |TG| K1LL3R or |TG|K1LL3R. Again I am most likely just being OCD lmao

Comment

Originally posted by K1LL3R 0F 4LL View Post
            I have seen quite a few brackets instead of the bars as well. [TG] <------ those and not these |TG|. Maybe im just OCD but it bugs me :D lol. Also is there a space or no space between the TG tags and you name? |TG| K1LL3R or |TG|K1LL3R. Again I am most likely just being OCD lmao
            The tags are officially |TG| - the server is [TG] in the browser because the pipe character breaks the server name in the browser (which probably explains the confusion some people have).

Beyond that, you should seek counseling and possibly medication for your OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by disposableHero View Post

The tags are officially |TG| - the server is [TG] in the browser because the pipe character breaks the server name in the browser (which probably explains the confusion some people have).

Beyond that, you should seek counseling and possibly medication for your OCD.
              Yeah I really probably should but sometimes its a good thing to have :)

Comment

[*]You won't take a marksman or sniper kit without asking.
                Can I get some clarification on this rule? I obviously understand why your role should be tailored to what the SL needs, and I am generally the firs to jump on medic or LAT when the SL asks, but I'm curious what all the hate is about when the role doesn't seem to be any less effective than the alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by SafetyMoose View Post

Can I get some clarification on this rule? I obviously understand why your role should be tailored to what the SL needs, and I am generally the firs to jump on medic or LAT when the SL asks, but I'm curious what all the hate is about when the role doesn't seem to be any less effective than the alternatives.
                  LOL This isn't a rule, Moose. Long story behind those weapons and their storied history here at TG (and in PR in general).

Those kits tend to be taken by players who like to lone-wolf and not remain with the squad. This isn't always the case, but the stereotype does cover about 99% of players who take those.

This is more of a gentle nudge to remind people to think squad first, me second. That's all.

Comment

Well done. Very happy to see this post.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Ha Killer .. you are my son. This same thing bugs the hell out of me. I just removed the space after the pipe yesterday after looking at the majority of the long time players. I prefer the space but want to fit in LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by ExpendableCrew View Post
                        I prefer the space but want to fit in LOL.
                        seems you found your crew!

Comment

LOL This isn't a rule, Moose. Long story behind those weapons and their storied history here at TG (and in PR in general).

Those kits tend to be taken by players who like to lone-wolf and not remain with the squad. This isn't always the case, but the stereotype does cover about 99% of players who take those.

This is more of a gentle nudge to remind people to think squad first, me second. That's all.
                          Haha yeah perhaps "rule" as a bad word to use. I had just noticed the negativity surrounding the Marksman class since playing with you guys and I was curious what the deal was since I had been doing rather well with it.

Thanks for clearing that up. This entire post was very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by SafetyMoose View Post

Haha yeah perhaps "rule" as a bad word to use. I had just noticed the negativity surrounding the Marksman class since playing with you guys and I was curious what the deal was since I had been doing rather well with it.

Thanks for clearing that up. This entire post was very informative.
                            Luckily we agreed I can take marksman whenever I want. Glad we cleared that up.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

Back many moons ago, I recall the instructions were that there should be no space between the tag and your name.

Also thanks disposableHero for bringing up the Team Stacking thing, I'm guilty of it myself but I noticed the other day that it's getting a little out of hand sometimes. When there's a big clan on the other team I usually consider it safe to TG counter-stack, what's your position on that?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X