No announcement yet.

Tales From The Front

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge shout out to BitmapLuke and Asta85 and the rest of the guys that were in my squad last night. We were able to successfully defend District Market by ourselves while simultaneously sending out fire teams (which were led by Asta) to help support other squads before helping out squad 2 with capturing Gran Del. I also want to give a shout out to Celt for leading a APC squad and providing support where it was needed throughout the round and also to -Hudson- for being another good squad lead and helping coordinate with the rest of the squads for a decisive win in the end.

Comment

Shout out either to you Wook1e has been a great SL, making good calls, having a huge field awareness and battle skills.

Comment

Gentlemen (and ladies?)

In the spirit of the thread title (relatively sure the letters AAR are in there in some order...) let me interject the following.

(Polishes up my Platoon Sergeant chevrons and hitches up my big boy pants...)

We all flipping rock. You are all ten freaking foot tall and galdurn bulletproof. Steely eyed virtual killers and digital widow makers. Good job, congrats and flippin yadda yadda rah rah. With all that out of the way, start talking about improves. No one gets any better, be they SAW gunner, Antitank rocketeer, Fire team leader or Squad leader without some sort of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Back pats, ass slaps and high fives don't do it. Only MATURE objective reflection, evaluation and continual assessment provide the needed drive for improvement. With that in mind, I would suggest that should someone feel the need to post an AAR or story of a time when I personally Squad Lead, I ask that it be done in the following way:

Describe the situation for context
        Describe my/the squad's actions
        Describe the results

(and here is the important bit...)

Tell me what I could have done better. Typically, 3 'improves' are ideal during a formal AAR.

Then, to cushion any bruised feelings or assuage any potential issues, we always end on a high note with at max 3 'sustains' or things we need to keep doing. The sustains are left for the end so all parties walk out the door of a formal AAR with the last thing being complimentary or positive... but still with a list of stuff to work on.

(Takes off the ole chevrons and takes off my big boy pans... that's right, I like pink. What's it too you?)

On a serious note, this is a very generalized overview of the way that military AARs work. Probably the corporate equivalent as well. There is a lot more discussion involved when it is face to face. That being said, I know this is a game that we play for fun. Don't pull the trigger on this unless a) the powers that be say something akin to 'not a bad idea' and b) individuals perhaps signal in some manner that they are willing to receive constructive criticism like I just did. We don't want to put folks off from what is an enjoyable past time after all. As for me... fire away. Everything needs improvement... tell me when I do.

Gaunt does this in game already I will add. Probably drawing on part of his background training/dry running and critiquing boarding actions.
        Respectfully,
        Celt

P.S.

Don't let this be a thread killer either... keep saying nice things to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Celt View Post
          Gentlemen (and ladies?)

In the spirit of the thread title (relatively sure the letters AAR are in there in some order...) let me interject the following.

We all flipping rock. You are all ten freaking foot tall and galdurn bulletproof. Steely eyed virtual killers and digital widow makers. Good job, congrats and flippin yadda yadda rah rah. With all that out of the way, start talking about improves. No one gets any better, be they SAW gunner, Antitank rocketeer, Fire team leader or Squad leader without some sort of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Back pats, ass slaps and high fives don't do it. Only MATURE objective reflection, evaluation and continual assessment provide the needed drive for improvement. With that in mind, I would suggest that should someone feel the need to post an AAR or story of a time when I personally Squad Lead, I ask that it be done in the following way:

Describe the results

Tell me what I could have done better. Typically, 3 'improves' are ideal during a formal AAR.

Then, to cushion any bruised feelings or assuage any potential issues, we always end on a high note with at max 3 'sustains' or things we need to keep doing. The sustains are left for the end so all parties walk out the door of a formal AAR with the last thing being complimentary or positive... but still with a list of stuff to work on.

(Takes off the ole chevrons and takes off my big boy pans... that's right, I like pink. What's it too you?)

On a serious note, this is a very generalized overview of the way that military AARs work. Probably the corporate equivalent as well. There is a lot more discussion involved when it is face to face. That being said, I know this is a game that we play for fun. Don't pull the trigger on this unless a) the powers that be say something akin to 'not a bad idea' and b) individuals perhaps signal in some manner that they are willing to receive constructive criticism like I just did. We don't want to put folks off from what is an enjoyable past time after all. As for me... fire away. Everything needs improvement... tell me when I do.

Gaunt does this in game already I will add. Probably drawing on part of his background training/dry running and critiquing boarding actions.
          Respectfully,
          Celt

P.S.

Don't let this be a thread killer either... keep saying nice things to each other.
          Excellent points. I like the idea and I see no issue with anyone doing this at all. We only get better by failure first, and having a fresh set of eyes perspective on what we're doing (sort of the forest for the trees type of thing).

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."
          |TG-42nd|Wicks-Today at 4:47 PM

No it was fine mate I'm just an *******

Comment

Originally posted by Celt View Post
            Gentlemen (and ladies?)

Describe the results

Respectfully,
            Celt

P.S.

Count me in!

Comment

Once upon a time I wrote up an Al-Basrah AAR that can be found Here.

Despite the AAR being several months old, its main points are almost wholly applicable to the Al Basrah match we had this evening.

If I had to sum up why the US usually loses on Al Basrah, it's that the US has no hope of winning if it cannot be bothered to setup a proper logistical backbone. The inner city itself cannot be wrestled away from a well dug in insurgent force if the US is incapable of putting down well positioned and and supplied FOBs with an absolute requirement that the FOBs be accompanied immediately by a HAB. Relying merely on rally points within Al Basrah is unwise and usually insufficient for carrying out a continual assault on a capture point in the city interior.

Despite the US countering and eventually defeating an Insurgent rush on Village, the US was unable at any point during the rest of the game to capture Outskirts and continue the assault inside of the city. While US FOBs were dropped at various locations, no US logis left US main to supply any of the said FOBs until there was only 80 tickets left.

We were playing against a well organized team full of AoN clan members. We predicted their initial plan, defeated it with great effort and than manged to completely squander our subsequent offensive momentum after our victory at Village. I don't really care much for winning, but I absolutely hate losing in the fashion that we did.

Overall the match loss fell on the shoulders of the US squad leaders which of course includes myself.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

Has anyone tried an fob in the open using a crows to defend it with a Stryker used to ferry trips around the map for quick deployments?

Comment

Al Basrah AAS. Me and Masterjack were in a Stryker together, supporting our friendlies when we progressed through the city. We went back to Refinery to repair as we got hit while defending suburbs together with S4. As we were repairing the other squads captured Oasis and S4 needed a lift, but it was going to be a combat evac. Me and Jack dashed through the city with our stryker, not stopping for anything. We found S4 at a corner with a humvee that couldn't carry all of them, rifles firing all around us. We pick them up and as we drive away an IED blows and hurts us badly, we're down to 1/5 health. The vehicles starts firing randomly while charging toward fringe. At the highway just east of fringe we meet a rocket techie that starts firing missiles at us, but we manage to dodge them and we dismount S4 east of Fringe. When me an Jack were exfiling we got hit by an RPG, but the whole experience sent shivers down my spine.
                  ​​​​​​​

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X