Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Space or Not to Space? The definitive |TG| tag format discussion for Squad.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Space or Not to Space? The definitive |TG| tag format discussion for Squad.

Alright friends. As the Squad community continues to grow rapidly I think it's time we specifically come to a consensus on the use of a space in our tag formatting. I'm sure somewhere in the many moons of TG this thread has happened before and exists somewhere on the forum but I thought this would be a good opportunity to bring it onto the Squad forum.

TheBunnie and I came to e-blows about if there should be a space between the tag and your name tonight, and Killer had made a post recently in a thread asking that question as well. I think it's an important thing to at least attempt consistency.

For those who don't already know and might be new and just reading this, the Tactical Gamer gaming tag MUST BE represented with the capital letters TG flanked between the two vertical bars. No brackets, no parenthesis, no back or forward slashes. it should appear as:

|TG|

Members of an In House Squad often attach an abbreviation to the end but still within the vertical bars, such as

|TG-X|
    or
    |TG-Irr|

Now the question is, do you put a space after that? Am I |TG|Aufklarer or |TG| Aufklarer?
    I've been sparse in TG my entire adult life, but I have been around over and over across close to 10 years now even if it wasn't regular or consistent. Back in beta PR days around 2008 and 2009 I remember the guys in the 6th Devils Brigade specifically instructing me to not use a space. This was the same "rule" when I was a regular and moderator on the Team Fortress 2 server in the days before hats. A lot of community staples like disposableHero don't use the space in game, but at the same time I've notice Wicks is currently including the space. Half of the |TG| wearing Squad regulars are using the space while half are not. Clearly there isn't a consensus.

I'm going to take this time to make an argument for the consistent use of |TG|yournamehere with no space.

The reason I choose not to use a space is a pretty simple one that dates back to the dawn of my earliest gaming experiences. Most early games simply didn't allow for the use of a space in character or player names. Even today, many games don't allow for a space in names. Not only does leaving the space out stick with the history of gaming tags, it also theoretically keeps all of the community identical across games. Think of it like a script or database entry, you wouldn't add a space if you know that some software you'll be importing to can't handle it. After all, it is a TAG, to be TAGGED onto your name, should it not be pinned adjacent? Now I understand it might seem more aesthetically pleasing, and I'm not sure how the admin controls work for the Squad server but just think about doing player searches or maximum character limits. "You save space and time without the space this time!" Consider that my new neurotic slogan.

I want to hear all of your opinions and perhaps we can adjust our tags accordingly, or decide it doesn't matter at all. I just figured it was worth a conversation because let's be honest, what else is there to do in life but nitpick minor details in an online gaming community? I've also set up a poll so we can keep track.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to our collective community decision on this most urgent and pressing matter.

I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant,
    A dot Ufklarer

------------------------
    POLL EDITS
    ------------------------
    Space: -1
    No Space: +1
    Player Preference: +1

REASONS:
    -1 from Space for Aufklarer due to voting error
    +1 to No Space for Aufklarer due to voting error
    +1 to Player Preference for Disposable due to vote in post but not poll
    Space
    50.00%
    No Space
    40.00%
    Player Preference
    10.00%
    Last edited by Aufklarer; 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM.

You make a good argument I think. Will weigh it more :)

Edit: So, I think that there is no way we will ever get all community members to be uniform. Some will continue to be "TG Bob", "[TG]Bob", "[TG] Bob". And there is nothing necessarily wrong with that, so long as they continue to meet the standards expected of them for as long as they attempt to identify with the community using some form of the tag. That said, I think that the case for unity is a good one, and I think that those who care should be unified. I had never really thought about the space in my name before. I think initially the space seemed more logical to me, since I never saw a post like this that said, "To be proper, one ought to wear their tags like so. Not too far to the left, and not too far to the right, but just so." :D Having reviewed the look of it, in addition to the logic used, and I find myself in favor of no space.
    Last edited by Asta85; 05-09-2017, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Aufk, it says you voted for the space lol.

Comment

Official TG tags are formatted as |TG|. That is not up for debate nor compromise If you see someone wearing the tags incorrectly please ask them to correct them.

Spaces after the tag is up to you.

[TG] is used in the server name in the server browser because using the pipe symbol "|" will cause the server to not show in the browser. For clarity and to avoid confusion I can remove that so it will not show. However, I would really prefer that if people add the tags that they at least take a few minutes to visit the forums and read a little about the community that they are joining.

Can I wear the |TG| tags?

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Hence forth my name will have a space as the first character, allowing me be in both camps at once! (#metagamedthenamegame)

Comment

Originally posted by Asta85 View Post
            Aufk, it says you voted for the space lol.
            That's what happens when you make a poll at 1am Hahahaha. It's alright, since I seemingly can't edit my vote I'll just hope my argument was persuasive.

Comment

I think your OCD is going too far! LOL Joking aside...

I need agree that you give a great point on why players should use no space after TG tag.
              Buuut for me/ my sight it's easier to identify the player's name if you have a space between the tag and the player's name. (that's why I vote to uso space). Also, like Dispo said TG tag must be used like this |TG| period. Now, if have or not space after the tag, it would be at the discretion of the player. I guess it's impossible to get everyone in the community to use the same way.

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
              Hence forth my name will have a space as the first character, allowing me be in both camps at once! (#metagamedthenamegame)
              I thought the same! What if I want my name to have a space as the first character? What do you say Aufklarer ?? jk! LOL

Despite the jokings, useful post to to clarify doubts about TG tags that someone may have! tks.

Comment

1.) To be fair I was never arguing that the |TG| should appear as anything other than |TG|, I even explicitly reaffirmed that in my OP. I just wanted to bring about a discussion to try to turn a Player Preference option with the space into something more consistent, at least on the Squad server. Partially because of OCD but also just for giggles.

2.) I've edited the OP to include a POLL EDITS count for anyone who votes wrong, doesn't vote in the poll, or wants to change their vote later.

Comment

I have an opinion Aufklarer ..... get a job! (said in my best old man voice)

That being said, I started off using the space but changed to no space a week or two ago after examining the general use of guys that have been here much longer. I now prefer no space and it seems to work with my OCD.

Comment

If I am required to remove the space, I will not.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

The lack of a space just represents how close the community is to your heart. People who put in spaces really just don't care as much as they should. </3 :(

Comment

Originally posted by SafetyMoose View Post
                        The lack of a space just represents how close the community is to your heart. People who put in spaces really just don't care as much as they should. </3 :(
                        On the contrary! Those with the space respect and care so much for the symbol of the community that they treat the tag with reverence and do not dare smoosh their (relatively) silly name/handle right up against it!

Comment

Space so that the |TG| is better showcased.

Comment

I think the space should depend on the speed you are travelling at.

This is because when you leave no space, but travel really fast, the space will become contracted and thus the letters may become unreadable, destroying our reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                              I think the space should depend on the speed you are travelling at.

This is because when you leave no space, but travel really fast, the space will become contracted and thus the letters may become unreadable, destroying our reputation.
                              Science.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X