Why you should talk in third person

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should talk in third person

I know, I know, BleedingKnee giving advice is like CCCP harping on the virtues of communism... Still, here goes...

Have you ever said any of the following:
    * there is an enemy FOB next to me
    * contacts right on my body!
    * I'm down
    * I hear a vehicle to my north

Do you realize the squad lead may not recognize your voice? Unless you are squad lead's son, or someone else intimately familiar, lead will have to refocus his attention while you speak in order to determine who you are.

Make it easier for the lead to do his job: speak your name while you report!

So, instead of using the first person pronoun, use your name. This is how BleedingKnee rolls:
    * there is an enemy FOB next to BleedingKnee. I am to your north squad lead.
    * contacts right on BleedingKnee's body! They overran the west entrance.
    * Bleeding down, grenade.
    * Bleeding hears a vehicle to the north. Sounds like a BTR.

Ive never had talked like this, but makes sense. Good point Knee!

Comment

If they are TG. I know their voice. Especially those Canadians and Brazilians

Comment

Great advice Bleeding. I know I'm guilty. Will work to improve.

Comment

It helps if you think you're royalty or a megalomaniac, it comes naturally after that.
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Copernicus talks in the third person regardless of whether its helpful to the squad.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

Sometimes I talk in the fourth person.

Comment

I've been doing this for years, even when people know my voice. It makes it that much easier for your team mates when the crap hits the fan and everyone is talking.

I would also like to mention that comms during a firefight should be clear, concise with berevity. For example if I get shot I'll mention "Jack down." not "Holy crap I just got shot, someone get me back up so I can take that mofo out!" If people want more information they will ask.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Basic communication traffic, "This is Gaunt, Enemy HAB located NW of my pause."

Always good to remind people of this, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                    I would also like to mention that comms during a firefight should be clear, concise with berevity. For example if I get shot I'll mention "Jack down." not "Holy crap I just got shot, someone get me back up so I can take that mofo out!" If people want more information they will ask.
                    Pro agrees with the above x1000.

Comment

I'm going to start calling everyone Jimmy I guess

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Great point.I should do this as well, never thought of it.

That will I often ask people's names, because to me teh quickest way to mark something as SL, is to go to the map, find the player, and use his direction combined with his distance report to find the target on the map.

I find this way easier than using the grid often to mark enemies.

Long grid reports with many subkeys force me to do a cognitive operation which feels like it takes my attention off the game much more.

If I get that name and a distance though, I feel I keep more spatial awareness and it is much easier to locate a target and switch my attention back to the game. I also feel this is usually much faster. When you look at a map you use more the spatial elements functions of your brain, switching to the maths part just takes time.

Comment

I do think it is a good idea. Especially for newer squad leads. I have led so much that I always have my map up. And whenever someone talks I glance at the name in the corner. Habit i guess. I join other squads and tell where something is near me and who I am. And get asked well what grid is that. That frustrates me because I'm used to being told that. Opening my map if it isn't already clicking the person to see them and marking..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X