Rewarding players that seed the server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewarding players that seed the server

I wanted to brainstorm something with yall; rewarding players that seed the server.

The server does not seed itself. Unless someone joins the empty server, it stays empty (duh Bleeding). Thing is, seeding takes a fair bit of time. Time that people could spend playing on other servers. Sometimes, the server won't seed for hours. So I thought we could reward the individuals that care enough about Squad @ TG to spend their time seeding.

So this is what I though we could brainstorm on:
    * What is an appropriate reward? A ribbon? A number of days of squad member privilege?
    * What kind of system could we setup to detect seeding (that would not tax the admins' time)?

Anyhow, it's just an idea. We've not had our regulars seeding lately and it sure shows.

Both of your ideas are good and giving a player squad member privilege would probably bring them back if they were to hop on later and see 10 people in the que and be able to jump past that. But I also think the ribbon is a good idea as well so the regular people who do seed can be recognized for seeding.

I think until there is more to do with the servers it would come down to players recognizing those guys who continue to get on and seed and out them in for the ribbon or a few days of squad member privilege.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The idea of rewarding reserved slots to players who help seed the servers has been around TG for a while. It has always been frowned upon and will most likely continue to be so.

Is there a reward for supporting members who seed the server?

Is there a reward for admins that seed the server?

The obvious answer to both of those questions is no.

What qualifies you as a seeder? First one in an empty server? First five? First ten? How long do you need to play? Does the server need to fill while you are still on, or do you still get credit for seeding if it is at 40 players when you disconnect? What happens if the server crashes before it is full? Who is going to spend their time monitoring the server constantly to track seeders and times? Is there a reward for giving up that much time to monitor the seeding stats to make sure we reward those players?

The list goes on and on. Some questions more ridiculous than others, but I hope you see some of the pitfalls and issues around trying to implement something like this.

We all want the server to be seeded so it's full when we want to hop on. The reality of it right now is that we might just have to be one of the seeders to get the results we want to see.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I think rewarding a seeder is a bit overkill. I thank those that do seed, I know I have sat on the server for 2 hours and never could get past say 8 players... but those people who are willing to sacrifice their time to seed will forever be the unsung hero's of any community.

The best way I find to get people in is to move to a smaller map, with motorbikes that I can mess around on until people start joining. So I normally bug an admin for that on discord, then blast people on discord to seed with me. Sometimes people show other times they don't.

Another good way of getting people involved is using the ALL CHAT with the smaller groups of people and just talk about computers, the future of the game, or tacticalgamer.com! The more time you can keep a person in the server or super fob something until teams fill up the better. Entertain yourself the best you can right?!?!?!

I do want to say thanks to those of you that do seed the server. You are great men and women!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaunt View Post
          I think rewarding a seeder is a bit overkill. I thank those that do seed, I know I have sat on the server for 2 hours and never could get past say 8 players... but those people who are willing to sacrifice their time to seed will forever be the unsung hero's of any community.

The best way I find to get people in is to move to a smaller map, with motorbikes that I can mess around on until people start joining. So I normally bug an admin for that on discord, then blast people on discord to seed with me. Sometimes people show other times they don't.

Another good way of getting people involved is using the ALL CHAT with the smaller groups of people and just talk about computers, the future of the game, or tacticalgamer.com! The more time you can keep a person in the server or super fob something until teams fill up the better. Entertain yourself the best you can right?!?!?!

I do want to say thanks to those of you that do seed the server. You are great men and women!
          ^ agree with each word

Comment

There is another way to approach this. I'd suggest for everyone who has personal contacts with devs to perhaps discuss this.

The game mechanics right now are a real problem for getting the server seeded. I can think of 50 solutions the devs could do to make it more fun.

But at the moment the first guys on the server have absolutely nothing to do. They cannot drive a vehicle. They cannot use the time to test some weapons. They cannot set up a fob in preparation for the coming fight.

All this is simply because of the coded restrictions.

If the devs would spend some thought on this. They could make seeding a fun experience that you can use to train on certain weapons, test various things out, have a race or some other silly activity. It could even allow people to practice more advanced tactics like using fireteams etc.

Right now seeding is often utterly boring, while in my opinion there is no reason at all for this.

In this line of thought I have previously suggested to use the training map for seeding.

Question:
            Am I correct thinking that it IS possible to put the server on the training map, WITHOUT putting it in the rotation list?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
              There is another way to approach this....

Question:
              Am I correct thinking that it IS possible to put the server on the training map, WITHOUT putting it in the rotation list?
              Piggybacking on this.. if the Training Map was placed in the rotation, at the beginning of the rotation, with some sort of trigger like when either team reached 13 players they win the game. That way the next map (first map in the rotation) would load and the server would be off. If it made it through the rotation, then players would simply have to sit through a training map load, one side wins, and on with the rotation.
              Last edited by llPANCHOll; 06-28-2017, 06:59 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

The training maps blow up fast! I was seeding with 3 others a few weeks back and we were dead so we switch the map to The training map and raced around the track. It took maybe 10 minutes and we were near 20 bodies

Comment

Just discussed this suggestion off the back of your comments guys. Just ask an Admin in game and we can switch to the training map.

Please bear in mind it will be switched back once population increases.

Great suggestion!

Comment

There is one thing you can practice even with one player: grenade throwing.
                    Spawn at main, stay close the ammo crate, and work on pitching those nades into windows, over walls, etc.

If you get two or more guys, you may practice shooting at live targets:
                    * Squad lead is the target.
                    * Medic is the shooter and the reviver.

* An good drill is to have the target run perpendicular to the shooter. Have the shooter limit himself to 4 rounds.
                    ** At what range can you get that moving target? What range is too far to engage?
                    ** How much do you need to lead?

* Once the target is down, medic revives, rinse and repeat. Switch roles when at some point.

* Another drill is to have the shooter face 180 degrees away from the target.
                    ** The target chooses a position, stays stationary, and yells GO!
                    ** The shooter turns 180, acquires the target, and fires.
                    ** The goal is to improve target acquisition time.
                    (all credit to drills goes to @Crux;)

Comment

Honestly I'm not that thrilled about an exercise that involves team kills. This sends a bad image/message to new players to the server and can pretty easily go south. Our stance is teamkills are just not ok on the public server. For these type of things, please consider reserving the private squad server and conducting these type of tests there instead.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by disposableHero View Post
                        Honestly I'm not that thrilled about an exercise that involves team kills. This sends a bad image/message to new players to the server and can pretty easily go south. Our stance is teamkills are just not ok on the public server. For these type of things, please consider reserving the private squad server and conducting these type of tests there instead.
                        You don't have to use another player for it. It can be a object.

Comment

I apologize dispo for bringing up the training map thing again *blushing*. At the same time I am so curious to see if it works. From seeding things over the years I found it is a natural situation to grow the community as well as there is more time for communication across the isle and people have to work together to make the game fun.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X