v9.6 Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v9.6 Impressions

Lets share our impressions, protips, and musings on the new patch.

I'm calling patch this patch the "Squad Leader" patch. All the major mechanic changes will obviously effect all players. However, sorting out the new specialized squads, organizing proper logistics, and generally dealing with all the changes to FOBs seems to me like squad leaders are going to be working overtime to try and adopt new strategies and figure out what works and what doesn't.

While we don't have new vehicles to learn or new weapons to master, I suspect ts going to take weeks for much of the community to culturally adapt to the new reality that things like dedicated logistics squads are now going to be pretty much mandatory. I cannot wait to deal with all the small 2 man private squads who I'm sure will find endless ways to justify their existence.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Time to run proper mechanized infantry squads!
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Last night in Narva my squad started as a (4) man locked logistics squad. After bringing up two FOB's and HAB's we got flanked hard at Charlie by a 30mm and a full squad. I ended up unlocking my squad, putting everyone in (2) Strykers and advancing side by side down roads taking out logistics and 30mm BTR's.

Rolling side-by-side proved highly effective... we even started chasing one of the 30mm's through the streets and you could hear guys from our team on local chat as we were chasing cheering us on which was neat! We even had one of those new CROWS looking jeep things join us. We did lose the match but for the first time playing that map I feel we did well.

We had a lot of new faces last night thanks to our admin/server group getting the new patch asap installed on the server. I had TONS of positive feedback about our server and squad work. So BZ to all of our members for spreading the love as SL's on both sides! Great job all!

Comment

Last night, playing as insurgents and with the HAT kit, I was able to ride a motorcycle, cross the desert and destroy with my rockets a mortar pit. I also noticed that the mortars were damaged and radio as well, and, this probably must have increased the time of respawn of the americans. Seeing that, I ran to the hab and I started digging it, I could not finish digging down the hab because a striker came right on time. But I noticed that maybe it will be easier to destroy habīs / radios, setting up a fire team with a rifleman and one or two lat's / hat's and initially attacking the place and then digging it in less time.

Comment

This YouTube video showcases how much damage deployables can sustain from accurate mortar fire. Watch it all the way through to see average amount of fire each deployable can sustain from a mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaunt View Post
            We even had one of those new CROWS looking jeep things join us. We did lose the match but for the first time playing that map I feel we did well.
            That was me and Sporkife in the Oshkosh(b'gosh) Mine Resistant Ambush Protected All Terrain Vehicle! When we blasted those 2 BTR's at the bridge we were cheering so hard. I wrapped around a block away from you after that and got stuck at a dead end railyard face first with an enemy Squad and their fresh rallypoint. We overran the rally and Sporkife blasted a couple of them, I bailed out and brought my gun up just in time to pop the RPG aiming at the vehicle right in the head, but a secret second RPG blasted it from behind immediately after and killed Sporkife and the vehicle. I avenged him and then tried to connect with your Strykers on foot because you were the closest friendlies, but the round ended before I could get anywhere. I was trying to get your attention to come pick me up because I was alone and deep behind the lines but you were too far off and it would have taken too long to work out a rescue plan through SL radios. I felt like Owen Wilson in Behind Enemy Lines. It was the first time in Squad that I genuinely wished I had a flare gun. I hope when they add the Crew kits in the future that they give them a one shot "Rescue Me!" beacon, to both attract friendlies from afar and to bring on a horde of angry enemy combatants.

I think the real beauty of 9.6 was the way it balanced out the infantry combat. We ran Sumari down to the final seconds on the time and ended it 28 tickets to 0. I normally hate Sumari, but I had more fun Squad Leading that round than I ever have in the game. It was a beautiful and tough fight, with the FOB restrictions and the rifle sandbags playing out perfectly for heated battles across the map.

Comment

I am enjoying the new patch. Only played 2 rounds last night: Sumari, which was a blast even though we lost, and then Narva, which we won as Russia. We were the squad flanking Charlie from the east to start the round.

Anyway, a few things:

1. Obviously logistics are so key right now. Everything now drains your supplies, including kits and ammo resupply. This changes everything, even down to how many ammo crates you might want to deploy around a FOB. Previously, you could drop them everywhere so people had constant access to ammo. Now, the more you drop means the faster your ammo supply may be depleted, especially in a defensive position.

2. The change in build point cost for assets is a nice change. If you are forward and in desperate need of ammo, drop a radio, drop your ammo crate, get your ammo, tear down the radio and move on. It might be a little time consuming, but this is still faster than dropping a radio to let it cook up to 300 build points.

3. Disappointed that Narva is currently not open outside of the city. It's beautiful to look at and offers a bit of variety to urban combat, but not enough to currently make it another Basrah with a lot more green. I'm waiting for a map that has a nice mixture of cap points to fight over, similar to Gorodok. Hopefully the next release see the full extent of the map opened up so we have some urban and rural combat areas in the same map.

4. Very happy about the claiming system remaining but the number required reduced to 1 to initiate the claim. I'm not sure how that is going to play out when we move into future releases with heavier assets that will, hopefully, require a crewman kit to operate the vehicle. Perhaps the claim system (in terms of numbers) will be dependent on the vehicle and not a global standard, where a truck requires 1 to make the claim but a tank requires at least 2, potentially 3.

5. More on Narva - the number of tickets need to be increased. The game went too fast compared to how other maps play out. I know Chora PAAS is a slog, but I enjoy that level of tickets to a map to give it a real chance to play out. Fewer tickets just add emphasis to speed at the start of the round IMHO.

6. Obviously the ability for rifleman to drop sandbag walls makes setting up a hasty fighting position possible now, especially if you find yourself in the open. It also is going to make holding the high ground a little bit easier to do.

That's all I've got based on my experiences on 2 rounds last night. Looking forward to fighting with and against all of you again soon!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by disposableHero View Post
                2. The change in build point cost for assets is a nice change. If you are forward and in desperate need of ammo, drop a radio, drop your ammo crate, get your ammo, tear down the radio and move on. It might be a little time consuming, but this is still faster than dropping a radio to let it cook up to 300 build points.
                This is interesting. The rest of the patch seems geared towards mandatory logistics support. However, ammo can be had with 3 guys and a bit of shovel time. This means that AT squads can stay in the field indefinitely...

I do not mean to imply that I got addicted to traversing the map looking for ammo crates, but it does make me wonder why the devs chose to make ammo so readily available...

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post

This is interesting. The rest of the patch seems geared towards mandatory logistics support. However, ammo can be had with 3 guys and a bit of shovel time. This means that AT squads can stay in the field indefinitely...

I do not mean to imply that I got addicted to traversing the map looking for ammo crates, but it does make me wonder why the devs chose to make ammo so readily available...
                  Don't forget that refilling an AT kit costs 75 Ammo points now and freshly placed FOBs only provide 100 Ammo points. Thus only 1 AT kit refill is available without logistical support.

Comment

Originally posted by C0pernicus View Post

Don't forget that refilling an AT kit costs 75 Ammo points now and freshly placed FOBs only provide 100 Ammo points. Thus only 1 AT kit refill is available without logistical support.
                    But you could un-dig the FOB, place a new one, a new ammo crate, and voila! Everyone is resupplied (eventually).

I think that it feels kind of dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post

But you could un-dig the FOB, place a new one, a new ammo crate, and voila! Everyone is resupplied (eventually).

I think that it feels kind of dirty...
                      But I think this is against one rule of the community. IDK for sure but that one who condemns the player who abuses of the mechanics of the game don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by BitmapLuke View Post

But I think this is against one rule of the community. IDK for sure but that one who condemns the player who abuses of the mechanics of the game don't you think?
                        Not against the rules, not abusing the mechanics.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X