Map/Game Strategy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map/Game Strategy

I have decided to make a post for attacking/defending and other strategies involved (this includes anti-rushing, rushing, attacking, defending, mortars, and etc) . The reasoning behind this is due to a conversation I had with Dispo but also because of a post made about improving ourselves as a community and being able to outplay the clans/groups that come on to the server and completely demolish us. This is intended to share my thoughts and for others to share their thoughts as well.

To get started with things I'll go ahead and say that for whatever points our team has capped and are now in play there should be a squad there to defend it. Will it be a more boring task at times yes but at some point the other team will show up to try and cap that point. So one thing that I like to do as a SL is have a fire team go out and assist other squads with attacking a point but have them be flexible enough to come back and help out if the point we are defending is beginning to be hit by the other team. Back onto topic the reason for this and seeing it a lot in the game is that for a majority of the games played squads will continue past the now defend-able point and make their way to the next point leaving a point completely open to the other team to cap without any resistance whatsoever. Here are some pros and cons for why a squad needs to stay behind to defend.

Pros:
    -Security for the point.
    -Early warning system if the point is starting to get capped/overran.
    -Protecting a spawn point that is a lot closer to use than main.

Cons:
    -Taking a squad out of the fight.
    (^^^^^^^If anyone wants to add to this you are more than welcome to!)

Now moving onto my overall strategy for attacking/defending points on a map. Before really getting into this I will start off by saying that not all maps are the same and that obviously there are some maps with different versions and have a more linear path for capturing points like Fools Road or Logar Valley for example. So for this I will be using Kokan Valley seeing as for most of the map the two teams are usually attacking/defending two points (That is unless you get capped all the way back to your last point or lose District/Market for RU or Village/Gran Del for US). So now getting onto the map overlay, I have it drawn out as if TG was US. Now with a full server you should have 4-5 full or semi-full squads, so as the image shows below there will be a squad defending Village and a squad defending Gran Del. For the squads attacking Market or District instead of attacking both points simultaneously those squads that are left over should be putting all of their attention on one of those two points. This means when said point is capped you now have to only worry about defending the one point instead of two. Which leaves a squad open to help defend (which would probably be the preferable idea) or help that attack or even split that squad in half to help with capping and defending.
    v1.jpg
    ​​​​​(^^^^D=defending,A=attacking)
    ​​ ​​​​​
    Now of course this is all speculative and not all plans survive the first contact but it also is not a complicated plan and can easily be executed. There are also some of the basic things that help with winning and that is having solid communication, team work, logistics, etc. Which is seen a lot but there also the rounds were those are not even present and instead you have the squads going off doing their own things. Which leads to chaotic rounds and just getting balled up by the other team. I do feel like once a commander role is implemented a lot of the rough edges that are happening right now will smooth out some more. This will end what I have thought out for multi-flag maps and this post. As stated above if there are strategies/tactics that you guys would like to add or even add to what I have you are more than welcome to!!!

-Wookie

Agreed that there needs to be a defense squad. What size does this need to be and what is its make-up? I'm thinking this should be a squad of 4-6 personnel rather than the full 9. This frees ups some troops to continue the advance.

If you are part of a 9 squad that captures a point and then takes a defensive posture, what stops the excess personnel from leaving that squad and forming / joining another one to keep the momentum up? Conversely, the defense personnel could separate from the squad to form a defense squad. I think this would be better than splitting up the squad, at least until the fire team rally concept becomes part of the game as it keeps each squad with a single objective and allows the SL to focus where he needs; either on continued offense or now defense.

If you are on defense, and logistics are available, let's get that ammo crate down and get a mortar up. No need to make a WW2 Russian mortar battalion, but a single mortar that can assist with defense and provide some offensive ability is useful and gives the defenders something to do. Spend a moment jotting down fields of fire and some basic mortar zone coordinates.

Lastly, good defense relies on identifying the approaching enemy with enough time to react. Ideally, this will be through SL chat, but nothing beats a good sentry watching for them. Find some vantage points and watch the approaches; you can't fire at them if you can't see them coming and you can't see them coming if you ain't looking out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Takker View Post
      Agreed that there needs to be a defense squad. What size does this need to be and what is its make-up? I'm thinking this should be a squad of 4-6 personnel rather than the full 9. This frees ups some troops to continue the advance.

If you are part of a 9 squad that captures a point and then takes a defensive posture, what stops the excess personnel from leaving that squad and forming / joining another one to keep the momentum up? Conversely, the defense personnel could separate from the squad to form a defense squad. I think this would be better than splitting up the squad, at least until the fire team rally concept becomes part of the game as it keeps each squad with a single objective and allows the SL to focus where he needs; either on continued offense or now defense.

If you are on defense, and logistics are available, let's get that ammo crate down and get a mortar up. No need to make a WW2 Russian mortar battalion, but a single mortar that can assist with defense and provide some offensive ability is useful and gives the defenders something to do. Spend a moment jotting down fields of fire and some basic mortar zone coordinates.

Lastly, good defense relies on identifying the approaching enemy with enough time to react. Ideally, this will be through SL chat, but nothing beats a good sentry watching for them. Find some vantage points and watch the approaches; you can't fire at them if you can't see them coming and you can't see them coming if you ain't looking out for them.
      My favorite thing to do when on defense is setup a great scout point to watch enemy movement!. That with the mortar is a great/ fun defense strat

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X