Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's keeping YOU from leading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I used to love SL'ing, but all the free weekends wore me out. The lack of SL's on each team from TG did get to me... thus my hiatus for a few months and my overall dislike to SL until I see another 2 TG or a few regulars as SL. That has and did get to me more than anything, I understand the love to play with your friends, but if you are in a full TG squad and see another SL that you know needs help to wrangle the blue berries, leave your squad and help.

    The times I've spent slamming my face on my keyboard becuase I am forced to be on the DEF flag since rando SL's decided to go full attack mode and not respond to my request to go on the offense the next flag is way to often... if you hear a plea from another SL and you know they have been pulling the back end duty... swap out.

    I have had a rough time moving over to the new mindset of team movement with the introduction of IFV's / TOWs / and Machine Guns... I feel as if I'm making the changes each time to get better, but as I listed above..... often I just get such a sour taste because lack of other SL's gets your team rolled. Which brings me up to people being aware of ensuing they are keeping an eye on team balance.... just do it.... makes life more enjoyable and the close games makes it worth it!

    Comment


    • #17
      Great thread. A lot of this could apply equally well to other titles.
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

      Comment


      • #18
        Hopefully, when the CO role becomes available, the aspiring team commanders will remedy the "forced to defend" problem. And we will have to support the new COs as much as we can to foster the chain of command.

        ​​​​​​​

        Comment


        • #19
          Question to everyone:

          How do you want to play, and how does your dream team a.k.a. your subordinates act?
          My answer
          I want to play slow and methodically, utilising real world combat tactics where I can. My squad is on the same page as me, and is perseptive of my orders, steps up when they are appointed man in charge.

          Next question:

          How do you lead your squad to play the way you want to?
          Because ultimately if you're not having fun, then your leadership in game won't be effective.
          ​​​​​​​

          Comment


          • #20
            Gaunt Totally get the frustration of being the 'responsible squad' that defends where/when it needs to, can feel like a thankless task. Particularly when the attacking squads are having a bit of a tough time of it (being polite) lol.

            Small consolation I'm sure but know that you are appreciated by others who know what you're doing and understand its essential value.

            ​​​​If you see me SL in game give me a shout if you're leading. Always looking to work more closely with other squads.


            Comment


            • #21
              I was a section leader while in the Marines, so I lead 8 Marines on hundreds of patrols. One reason I don't like to do it on Squad is, I just dont like to talk that much. That and I am really good at 3 things.

              Riflemen, I can get in there at brawl like the best of them. If you need a lane opened up, I'm your guy.

              Machine gunner, this goes with out saying. I'm pretty good at finding a solid support position to help attack or defend.

              The last is logi driver. If you need points or ammo for a radio, no matter where it's at I will get them there.

              Comment


              • #22
                How do I like to play?

                Adaptive but proactive. Tempo/Speed is a tool and I don't agree that one speed is appropriate at all times. I try to read the battlefield and map and position myself and the Squad accordingly. Timing and rhythm of battle are crucial to me.

                Focus on little things as the cumulative effect of those small building blocks is efficiency, effectiveness and lethality.

                I try to ensure my Squad moves in an intelligent manner utilising terrain to arrive and engage in a decisive manner, where possible.

                I also try to drive the use of local voip and basic buddying up, as the cornerstone of the greater squad level teamwork. Get people out of the solo mindset. Get them moving, shooting and communicating with others. The fundamentals that so many skip.

                How do I lead my Squad to play the way I want to?

                I control comms so my instructions and intent are heard. I take the time to expand on my thinking where appropriate and offer constructive criticism where things aren't done right and praise when they are, because I'm genuinely pleased. I also take full responsibility for failure either for a bad plan or failure to make the the plan clear. I usually know when I'm failing.

                Where I want precision, my orders are precise. When I need flexibility and to enable my guys to focus on their environment orders are issued prior and then the detail falls away and simple commands are issued. I try to engage with Squad members by name or role let them know I haven't forgotten them, that they are an integral part of the plan and that's why they need to focus, for without their efforts it's just that, a plan.


                Comment


                • #23
                  A very very noob question but I fell I need ask.... What's the best way/practices, in your opinion, that a new SL should do, to start leading more effectively?
                  Like I know there's no "guide" for that, since you need adapt to every situation. But from where/what should I start do, to be usefull?
                  Cause I used to hate being SL, but a few months ago I've started enjoying do the "dirty job" (especially when running a squad with most of tg guys/ regulars. Cause they know what to do and they influence good behavior on others teammates and make SL live easier) but sometimes, I fell like I'm not being productive to the team duo some lack of cooperation with others players (squad and team) and when that's happen is a "barrier" for me, I kinda lost my will to lead at the middle of a match, how overcome that?? any thoughts? Or i'm just being to dumb? lol

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Forget my post above, I think Wicks indirectly already gave me the answer LOL

                    Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                    How do I like to play?

                    Adaptive but proactive. Tempo/Speed is a tool and I don't agree that one speed is appropriate at all times. I try to read the battlefield and map and position myself and the Squad accordingly. Timing and rhythm of battle are crucial to me.

                    Focus on little things as the cumulative effect of those small building blocks is efficiency, effectiveness and lethality.

                    I try to ensure my Squad moves in an intelligent manner utilising terrain to arrive and engage in a decisive manner, where possible.

                    I also try to drive the use of local voip and basic buddying up, as the cornerstone of the greater squad level teamwork. Get people out of the solo mindset. Get them moving, shooting and communicating with others. The fundamentals that so many skip.

                    How do I lead my Squad to play the way I want to?

                    I control comms so my instructions and intent are heard. I take the time to expand on my thinking where appropriate and offer constructive criticism where things aren't done right and praise when they are, because I'm genuinely pleased. I also take full responsibility for failure either for a bad plan or failure to make the the plan clear. I usually know when I'm failing.

                    Where I want precision, my orders are precise. When I need flexibility and to enable my guys to focus on their environment orders are issued prior and then the detail falls away and simple commands are issued. I try to engage with Squad members by name or role let them know I haven't forgotten them, that they are an integral part of the plan and that's why they need to focus, for without their efforts it's just that, a plan.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I think it's also important to appreciate the cross over between the grasp of basics your Squad should have and the amount of orders/instructions you will need to issue.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Simply put if your squad doesn't understand the need to cover team mates, basic principles of bounding, roe, maneuver etc then you will be doing a lot of talking. That will help the Squad but also impact on your effectiveness as SL and their situational awareness.

                      To combat this I try and issue a set of standing orders at the round start. ROE, buddying up, respawn conditions, authority of medics, bounding, covering/suppressing etc. I make sure they are heard and understood. This gets us all on the same page and saves everyone time having to go over it individually when the proverbial hits the fan and you really haven't got time for a seminar.


                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I've started squad leading as of late... depends on my personal energy level and what the team looks like when I join. I can echo a lot of the sentiments expressed already, but I really agree with setting the tone at the beginning around comms discipline, rally, and kit. Don't be afraid to kick someone who wants to argue with you about what kit they should have. Plenty of opportunities for them to go to another squad or start their own.

                        I like to set simple squad objectives and try not to flip-flop back and forth as it really erodes the squad's confidence. Also, I try not to share my frustrations as SL, as it undermines the morale... sometime very hard to do when the rest of the team is floundering. Part of being a leader is being a filter of unpleasant info for those below you; lets them focus on their tasks without distraction.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Really nice discussion guys happy to see this.

                          1) I get teamkilled a lot,
                          by blueberries that I've kicked from the squad. Then luckily I can rely on our admin team to protect me. Working with some pretty messed up kids for some 10 years has made me embrace the need for setting your limits. If someone is getting on your nerves, they should be out. The faster they are out, the less you will lose energy. I, and you, just don't have time to deal with psychiatric problems in our pastime.

                          2) Play your style.
                          The best thing about squadleading is that you pick what to do and how to do it. Find a way to play your way, and then figure out how to match that to help the team as much as possible. One of the coolest things in this type of game is the different playstyles different squadleaders offer. If I want to play a quiet game, I could join this guy. If I want full on action as much as possible another time, I could join another guy.

                          Both of these things relate to not depleting your energy when dealing with lots of people., which is another way of saying, enjoying the round.

                          These kids I work with, I can tell you are experts in getting under your skin and depleting your energy. But in squad there are lots of people that behave in a similar manner. So I think it translates well :p.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            After leaving the Planetside2 pastures for Squad pastures, my first time SL'ing had another SL start hampering on me during the match, turning me off right away. Yeah, I was new to Squad, but I'm not new to leading a bunch of dudes to glory or death.
                            Another thing related, is Squad leader to Squad Leader chat. Many times other squad leaders will attempt to control/direct the team when in reality, they don't have any control over the others. When you talk to another squad wanting something, a request is what should be used, not an order. This also applies to complaining and calling out other squads for doing something, don't, ask the dude if he wants feedback, or request him to change his objective. (Edit: This will change when the Chain of Command is upgraded with a Commander)

                            Currently, I have no way of hosting a solo server and turning on no-clip to go explore the map. The lack of a more detailed map is pretty hurting, and we don't have helicopters or UAV's. Jumping into a empty server is painfully slow to explore in a truck and difficult to get a bird's eye view.
                            Map's like Mestia are pretty bad for getting a know the terrain from the map.
                            Last edited by cris; 07-31-2018, 02:37 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by cris View Post
                              Currently, I have no way of hosting a solo server and turning on no-clip to go explore the map. The lack of a more detailed map is pretty hurting, and we don't have helicopters or UAV's. Jumping into a empty server is painfully slow to explore in a truck and difficult to get a bird's eye view.
                              Map's like Mestia are pretty bad for getting a know the terrain from the map.
                              Go into the "Firing range", then you can use admin commands in the console to change maps etc.

                              adminchangemap - Will give you a list of maps to load
                              shift + P - Go into admincam
                              0 (as in zero) - While in admin cam will give you a list on admincam options in the upper left corner
                              ​​​​​​​

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Crawlingeye View Post

                                Go into the "Firing range", then you can use admin commands in the console to change maps etc.

                                adminchangemap - Will give you a list of maps to load
                                shift + P - Go into admincam
                                0 (as in zero) - While in admin cam will give you a list on admincam options in the upper left corner
                                Thank you, I will try this next time I have a bit of Squad Time.

                                Comment

                                Connect

                                Collapse

                                TeamSpeak 3 Server

                                Collapse

                                Twitter Feed

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X