No announcement yet.

Society of Tactical Geniuses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I'm able to connect tonight, it won't be for very long.

Comment

The Keeper of Formations and the Colonel of Columns linked up during the friday password night.

The focus of the night was moving slowly and with a clear intent, both rounds were played in a smaller squad (7) and was lead by the Keeper of Formations. The squads consisted of mostly (to me) unkown faces so I decided to keep the information pretty light and introduce some basic elements such as:
      • Moving in formation
      • Firing dicipline
      • Patroling
      Formations used were line and column, the Colonel of Columns may judge the column a bit sloppy. Line formations worked well as long as the squad had a reference point and a direction to base off of. example: "Form line formation left and right of Takker, looking south."

Firing dicipline was either yellow or green. Green being explained as "fire at will" and yellow as "Engage if threat is imminent". These became mantras every time they were ordered as to let no one forget what they meant.

Patrol duty was from shipping yard to Niva lower, an uneventful patrol that could have been used to excercise something like leapfrogging.

All in all I think it went relatively well, and it was fun not playing the rush game.

Also let us welcome Gaunt as the Breacher of Doors.
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

I will make an effort to come online again tonight. On the agenda I want to explore the utilization of fireteams within a smaller squad (6-7) so not to be as under big of a burden, maybe we could even try out a "split squad fireteam" setup.

A part of utlizing fireteams will be to begin using fireteam maneuvers like leapfrogging, squad column fireteam wedge(or other), peeling <insert direction>, etc.

So tonights agenda will be
        • Moving in formation
        • Firing dicipline
        • Patroling
        • Fireteam organization and maneuver
        To make it happen we will need a willing squad and fireteam leader, best case scenario choosing them beforehand. I can do either of the roles though I do prefer a junior leadership role.
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

I think Friday night went well. I did find myself dropping back in the file to try to herd others forward like a sheepdog, and we had one case of a sniper going rogue, but people made an honest effort. Lines were pretty good, and fire discipline was surprisingly well maintained. Obviously formations themselves are only part of the picture, hence getting wiped when reaction to contact was poor. But all in all a big step forward from the norm. Good job!
          |TG| Mannerism

Comment

Picking up the rear in that situation was a good call!

The pace wasn't really where I wanted it to be, as I would want it to be a wee bit slower. I guess a slower pace goes hand in hand with playing cautiously, like leapfrogging and such.

On a other note I forsee some difficulty playing as SL with two fireteams. That difficulty being handing over the microgame to the FTLs and instead mostly focusing on the macrogame. I find a good excerice in getting to terms with that is appointing a pointman of the patrol and giving that person a waypoint, then saying take us there. It's a good excerice for squadmembers also to get rid of the lemming way of thinking.
            ​​​​​​​

Comment

I think SLs (or whoever's on point) need to be aware that they're setting the pace, and that pace has to be something the whole squad can maintain. I often notice the SL will tell the squad to move out, then immediately sprint away. By the time the squad reacts, the SL is way ahead, and there's no way for the squad to catch up to him. Sprinting is for crossing open terrain! As a point man, regularly glance at the map and see how the formation is doing. If necessary, hold up, and wait for it to re-establish. Take the opportunity to look and listen for enemies.
              |TG| Mannerism

Comment

Indeed!
                Let's not forget to remind the pointman that he is in charge and that he can hold the formation at any time, and govern their movement. Also has to be vocal.
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

After Action Report 11/10/2018 Yehorivka

Me and the Lord of Lines had a successful run on Yeho today. Early on we split up into fireteams A B and C with B becoming the mechanized part of our squad with A and C being the dismounted infantry. The engagements we had worked superbly thanks to the coverfire from the Bradley.

Because we had an intergrated IFV in the squad we were able to move to contact relatively quickly and safely, and also having access to ammo and heavy AT weapons was a great compliment to the squad.

I think the IFV could be more useful in a separate, but attached, squad to easy commsclutter that inevitably happens. That would also mean that we have more dismounted infantry ready to join the fight with a squadleader who can focus his efforts in conducting this orchestra of assets at his disposal.

I noticed that I might be too quick in my movements and I expect everyone to catch up. I need to remedy this by hanging back and letting someone else take point or the FTL role.
                  ​​​​​​​

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X