Know your meta - Is it important?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know your meta - Is it important?

There have been a lot of discussions over the past several months with regard to the game providing players with meta information on the scoreboard. In particular, people seem to be interested in displaying the number of tickets won (for destroying vehicles, radios, capturing flags, etc) or lost (the opposite of the previous list) for their team.

(Please note, this is not a call for brigading - I have no interest in anyone here responding to or voting this thread) One example is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/c...lost_as_an_sl/

So, my question to the TG community is this: Do you see any value in this type of information becoming available to the players or not? What benefits do you think it could have? What pitfalls would come with having this information?

Looking forward to the discussion......
    Last edited by disposableHero; 08-29-2018, 09:52 AM.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."
    |TG-42nd|Wicks-Today at 4:47 PM

No it was fine mate I'm just an *******

I understand the call for it from some quarters, however I dislike it. Anything that turns the game into more of a sport to be 'gamed' is something I dislike. Plus as ever with these type of statistics (if it becomes granular to an individual level) people will chase those stats.

If it were teamwide only it would be more palatable to me personally but that's usually a slippery slope. Ultimately it all lacks context and becomes another often meaningless metric for people to preoccupy themselves with instead of getting the job done.

Comment

I think the best stat, and the only one that ultimately matters, is a "W" or a "L". It is a team game, after all.

Comment

I don't like the idea of showing how many you lost, but I'm not against showing how many you caused the other team to lose.

However, I would like information about ticket loss and gain from objectives being taken to be more paramount. Objectives should be the primary focus of the game, but its really fuzzy to to tell just how important they are.

Comment

What stats did PR show on the endgame scoreboard?

What I would like to see

A step counter would be cool since I like to walk.
          Amount of bullets fired would be cool.
          Supplies delivered.
          Longest time alive.
          Best squad (Like in BF2PR).

​​​​​​​

Comment

Agreed.

Stats I would like to see

- Time spent in reasonable proximity of the Squad
            - Percentage of my orders followed
            - Percentage of that percentage where the orders were followed precisely and executed correctly
            - Number of kits selected that aren't what I want
            - Average speed of selecting a kit upon joining a Squad
            - Average speed of giving up when a medic is nearby
            - Amount of times I say "I don't think we should drive this way" before we are blowed up
            - How many games the person who insists on taking the optics/Dmr/speshal kit is least combat effective in the Squad
            - Number of games I am forced to defend whilst the 'Pro Squads' hurl themselves ineffectually against the rocks of the next flag like lemmings that just got fired and divorced in the same week

Comment

Another one

- Number of times I hear my inner voice say "You've got this" where in fact I do not "have this".

Comment

I'd like a counter for the number of trees your vehicle hits while driving.

Comment

Integrated scoreboard and Gsync highlights functionality for occasions where someone defiantly tells me they are off on a special mission (instead of what's required) and I mutter to myself "he ain't coming back". Followed minutes later by "I'm down"

Comment

Pretty much every genuine stat I can think has potential to negatively affect individuals. Add accuracy, player refuses to suppress etc

Comment

You get what you measure. I'd be in favour of replacing ticket count with a colour indicator similar to the ammo indicator, and removing all stats beyond the W or L.
                      |TG| Mannerism

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann View Post
                          You get what you measure. I'd be in favour of replacing ticket count with a colour indicator similar to the ammo indicator, and removing all stats beyond the W or L.
                          This is so spot on! If you show people "K/D" at end of match that's all they will ever care about. If you extend that mentality to "Vehicles killed/lost" by squad the same thing will happen, people will focus on that.

Interesting (Useful maybe?) team metrics like "Longest flag held" for Invasion maps, or Logistics value deployed from main to FOBs for AAS - things that demonstrate how effectively a team as working together are what they should be emphasizing.

Comment

On a more serious note, is there anything of value to additional stats related to tickets that won't be used to abuse other players in the post-game free-for-all? I really don't see any benefit to this at all, because it is only going to focus individuals on individual stats and away from the end result, which is all that really matters. If you end a round getting a stat that you basically gained your team 100 tickets for digging 5 radios but your team still loses the round, I can only imagine quite a few Squad players berating the rest of the team post-game: "I dug 5 FOBs and you idiots still couldn't win the game??!?!!?"

Mmmmmm, toxicity. It tastes like......chicken.

Comment

Taking things from PR, because the game is very similar in gameplay:
                              Everything mentioned is referred to in the PR Manual, and none of it is (was) displayed in-game.
                              Vehicles ranged from 2 tickets per jeep to 10 for a MBT/Jet/Helo.
                              This was explained to make sure that people understood the significance of the target and if it was important enough to be dedicated to killing it.
                              Things such as capturing a civilian I can remember awarded 1 Intel points, which you needed 5 or 10 something like that to learn of a cache location, but you never had it display: X Amount of Intel.
                              Knowing Kit timers, spawn timers for certain vehicles, how many of them were allocated to the team if they had only 1 or two respawns, or if there's a delay vehicle spawn.

Putting anything on the list that is often referred to as the "scoreboard" Is a bad idea, and will make people compete for a spot on it. If this was a competitive shooter, there would be no problem, but Squad is not. We need people to ignore that scoreboard and ignore people complaining about people who are on it, doing well or bad. Personally a good score also makes people prefer to be in a certain person's squad and promoting favoritism. (Ex: Squad 1 and 2 are made, but people left both to join the SL of 3, which did well last round). This was a minor problem in PR, because everyone wanted to join the SL who made the list as best.

Edit: I also, personally dislike Radio's costing tickets, bases should be seen as a strategic value, not a ticket one.
                              Edit2: If people want such things enough and it gets implemented, I at least hope there's an option to turn it off. (Showing ticket win/loss for players)
                              also Wicks in post 16 is mentionning post 14 most likely.
                              Last edited by cris; 08-29-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X