Looking for input on a squad map currently in progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input on a squad map currently in progress

I'm looking for input on a Squad map I've been working on for a while. I'm still a few weeks or months away from playtesting depending on my schedule and how much time I sink into the editor.

Imgur Gallery https://imgur.com/a/L0biJ2H

The map itself consists of a large river valley themed loosely on Yehorivka/Gorodok and the other eastern European maps. There are going to be a few more urbanized areas similar to Narva to the south and forests on the surrounding hills and mountains. The terrain itself is 8km by 8km roughly making it a very large map to populate with assets, however the final play area will be limited once I've done a pass at setting boundaries.

Currently the terrain and rivers are pretty much finalized, and some of the urban areas and road networks are in place but not fleshed out enough for playtesting.

Specifically I need immediate help with:
    • General layout
    • Road networks
    • Points of interest (names/themes)
    • Choke points and Bridges
    • Other concerns from a broad overview
    My major concern at the moment is the road and bridge network, I do not want to create to many impassable chokepoints as the rivers are rather wide and deep enough that I've included a damage field in the deepest parts. I do plan on create a few landbridges and shallows that are not referenced in the minimap overview I've linked in the gallery

Direct Link here: https://imgur.com/CnHyIRD

Main Bases Are Blue

Roads are Yellow

Points of Interest are Green

Height is biased Red to help with a sense of depth.

Post with 0 views. Ect0s' Marsh Valley

I think it looks good! (Not a map builder but I like the concept) The one thing I think you should add are roads that go two both the main base spawns on the north and south or have road going out in two directions. I feel like it would be easy for the other team to camp logis coming out.

Comment

feel like it would be easy for the other team to camp logis coming out.]
      Yeah, thats an issue but the terrain doesn't give me much option (hills and rivers). Im open for suggestions on new main base locations - Maybe set them center east/west in the map and let people flow north/south with access to bridges

Comment

ect0s, it looks great! Haven't thought about base layout at all, but I'd like to play it. Visually pleasing. I like to die in pretty places.

Comment

Think 3d as well though - height, both defilade and elevation are massively important to maps. And consider that Helos will prevent choke points to an extent. I think it looks great so far!

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

I like the island hopping nature of the map. If travel between the islands is limited to key bridges, I think this could make for some interesting gameplay based on fortifying choke points at key crossings.

The focus of the map seems to be the islands in the middle. I see lots of hills on the edges of the map which probably look cool but due to their current placement, wouldn't really factor into the gameplay.

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

The current layout looks to severely bias towards the northern base areas. The south base areas have to travel much much further before they are given a chance to deviate from a straight path. This looks to be especially important for a map like this where high points at the north and south will allow for dominating large areas of the map given their elevation and extremely long sight lines that they look to afford down the river. Also I know you said terrain is mostly done and it's hard to judge based solely on the few screenshots we have but macro terrain will be very important as well. Your third screen shot looks to have a good bit of undulation in the terrain giving some amount of cover, we don't see that as much from the other ones. With the expansive sight lines it appears there will be from many locations, macro terrain will be very important. I have added some suggested additional travel avenues for the southern base in the attached image.CnHyIRD.jpg

Comment

The current layout looks to severely bias towards the northern base areas. The south base areas have to travel much much further before they are given a chance to deviate from a straight path.
                  I agree with the bias per travel times

The focus of the map seems to be the islands in the middle. I see lots of hills on the edges of the map which probably look cool but due to their current placement, wouldn't really factor into the gameplay.
                  The high points might not become playable area, a big concern addressed on the discord was the overall size of the map (its about 1.5x bigger than current maps in the game including all the terrain - but I do plan to place out of bounds restrictions and shrink the minimap down to accommodate. I'm still tweaking the but im going to narrow east-west and probably cut some of the coast out on the south.

This looks to be especially important for a map like this where high points at the north and south will allow for dominating large areas of the map given their elevation and extremely long sight lines that they look to afford down the river

Your third screen shot looks to have a good bit of undulation in the terrain giving some amount of cover, we don't see that as much from the other ones

Think 3d as well though - height, both defilade and elevation are massively important to maps.
                  There is significant foliage cover to somewhat limit LOS and make camping with a vehicle or ATGM difficult from the edge of the playable area.

The minimap above is shaded red on extreme elevations, but those pinkish tints in the valley are still pretty significant hills - reminiscent of OP first light or kamdesh. The extreme heights are similar to the difference between the river valley on Kohat and the Russian/US main spawns in terms of elevation.

I have added some suggested additional travel avenues for the southern base in the attached image.]
                  [QUOTE And consider that Helos will prevent choke points to an extent[/QUOTE]

These seam resonable from a gameplay perspective, but I worry that adding too many bridges will feel contrived - I do want this location to feel real and the rivers are deceptively wide compared to how they look on the minimap. I'll throw those bridges and roads in tonight and see what it feels like driving around in a truck.

Comment

This map reminds me in a way of a massive Bi Ming from Project Reality - I think it's the rivers. If only we had RHIBs in Squad.

The cool thing about this being a massive map is that, even if you limit it for ground forces, Helos (and jets?) can use the rest of the area freely to move around in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X