Our numbers are down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our numbers are down

We've all seen it. We all know it. Our server pops later than usual, stays full for a shorter period of time, and there just seems be a general feeling of apathy toward Squad of late.

All of this just 2 weeks following a new release.

So, if you feel so inclined, can you guys tell us what is keeping you from mustering the will power to launch the game and play right now? Give myself and the admins some feedback to help us try to bring some energy and excitement back to the title and the community.

Ready? Go!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."
    |TG-42nd|Wicks-Today at 4:47 PM

No it was fine mate I'm just an *******

For me, it's just life has been getting busy the last while. Like, tomorrow night, instead of playing Squad, I'm out on the town hanging out with people for good times and drinks. I'll try and make the effort to get on at least once a week, but that doesn't always work out for me.

Comment

It's a short list of things, only two in fact (currently), that compound each other into worse issues.
      1. Maps - Biggest thing is we honestly need more maps. New vehicles, gameplay changes, or game engine upgrades are all neat and necessary in the long run. But if today, they dropped 6 new maps (which yes I do understand how much work that would take) - I would be playing every day for weeks as I once was. (barring the next issue listed...)
      2. The latest patch feels like a massive step backwards. I've lost frames and game stability, there's been more patch-day bugs since I can remember, and the gameplay changes make the game feel more...well I really do hate to use the analogy, but "battlefield-esque"
        The new death system, buddy rallies, the current state of mines, glass quality vehicle modules, and scopes on more weapons all make the game feel harder to win through strategic maneuvers, and more a tactical "in-the-moment style of gameplay". Couple that with the increased movespeed, lower weapon sway, and buggy/nonexistent supression...and you catch my drift.
      These are my initial thoughts. Once I've had time to sleep and think on it further, I may update this post.

Comment

I always look forward to running around with you all, always a great time. Most days I am not able to hop on until 8 or 9 then that gives me about 2 or 3 games before I have to start thinking about the next day. Weekends are always a toss up, but when able I like to play in the mornings before our server is populated then again later in the day with all the TG boys and girls. That said squad is an investment with time and I have noticed after a couple of long rounds on big maps people start to leave when there are to many of those back to back. Then again I am not on frequent enough to really call that one, its just how it seems to me.

Comment

It may come off as selfish but I look forward to Squad based events, over playing "vanilla" Squad itself. I understand the importance of public games on the server and keeping it populated as a means to increase awareness, and increase the size of the community - but my enjoyment of Squad is solely dependent on the people I am playing with.

For me, jumping on with public players for the sake of playing some Squad doesn't hold water anymore. It's too stressful. On the contrary - an internal scrim, external scrim, scenario-based event (something unique or different to regular game-play) greatly excites me. The two weeks I played in the recent 4-week campaign were some of the most fun I've had in Squad because we are playing As Devs Intended. Rolling with 4 TG Squads takes advantage of the game as designed, and that is a great time for all, as shown in our two internal scrims.

All that being said, it will not help to populate the server by running internal/external scrims weekly or monthly - but it would increase my excitement in Squad (and I think a few others as well). That's my two cents...

Comment

On the Squad/OWI side:
            • The lack of updates is taking its toll on the community. V13 took too long and added too little.
              • I expect a tidal wave of new vehicles, layers and other fun toys over the next 2 months. Anything remotely short of this would indicate nothing has changed at OWI and that V14 will arrive in 8 months with 3 new vehicles and all the same problems
            • The overall squad community is divided. The game can't decide whether it's more Project Reality or more Battlefield 4. See: Dissociative identity disorder
            • OWI has done a terrible job rewarding teamwork
              • There needs be a scoreboard overhaul that removes the ability for players to easily see their K/Ds
              • Instead players and squads need to be judged on how many flags they took/defended and other teamwork oriented metrics.
            • Maps
              • Some new maps would be nice
              • More importantly, some current maps need to be completed/overhaul
                • Yeho is still incomplete
                • Basrah still needs a lot of work
                • Chora is overdue for an overhaul
                • Kokan needs terrain adjustments
                • Kamdesh needs a rework
                • Talil needs more work
                • Logar needs an overhaul
              • Many maps are huge and present a lot interesting terrain but I'm noticing even in RAAS we're still fighting over the same familiar cap points over and over again. New flags in older maps would go a long way in mixing things up.
            On the TG side:
            • Insularity
              • We've become insular. TG guys only play with TG squads and there is a general refusal to play with people you don't know.
                • It's really frustrating dealing with boneheads but by only playing in TG squads we've crimped our ability to bring new blood into TG. It's seems general recruitment has stagnated and this is directly related to the fact we've become so insular.
              • There needs to be a mandatory "Learn TG" night at least once or twice a week where we force TG guys to spread out.
                • No more than 4 TG guys to a squad
                • No more than 1 TG member to an armored vic
                • Mandatory TG guys running logi squad
                • If people aren't interested in this sort of event I don't think they have any business being in TG to play squad.
            • Squad Lead Burnout
              • Because we haven't been bringing in any new members, we haven't had any new SLs in the last year.
              • Sharing the SL load has become uneven at TG and it's the same guys making squads every night. It's about time we get some new guys in there.
            • Map Rotations
              • I think every night we should see an entirely different rotation setup. Too often I come to play the next night only to see the exact same rotation in place the previous night.
              • A greater effort to curate what maps we have in play might go a long way
                • Focus on alternating between vic heavy layers and infantry focused layers instead of just relying on requests from whomever happens to be on that night.
                • Ignore people like C0pernicus and other TG people who hate certain maps (Goro RAASv4 though is gutter trash, never play that one).

Distinguished Squad Leader

Comment

In general, I just don't feel good playing squad, It has many features that I would wish for a tactical game but I just can't handle more than 1 round or I will be dragging on the next, that is not even TG related, in any other server I feel that, I feel like I can have more fun playing the old PR than squad. I guess is something to do with the graphics that are just not comfortable to look at and maybe the movement mechanics that I feel like I am controlling a doll, the other alphas before V10 feels more pleasure to play.

Comment

Originally posted by C0pernicus View Post
                [LIST][*]Insularity[LIST][*]We've become insular. TG guys only play with TG squads and there is a general refusal to play with people you don't know.
                • It's really frustrating dealing with boneheads but by only playing in TG squads we've crimped our ability to bring new blood into TG. It's seems general recruitment has stagnated and this is directly related to the fact we've become so insular.
                A lot of very valid points in your post, but this one stands out in particular.

I generally hate it when people say "I told you so" and "I said this was going to happen", but in this case - this is something that myself and the admins have been harping on for quite a while.

Teamstacking. Constantly switching sides to play with the "TG team". Everyone waiting for a TG squad to go up and then instantly filling that squad. The list goes on.

It was said that this kind of behavior would lead to stagnation and the eventual ruin of the TG community. Let's hope that we're not already well into that cycle.

The attitudes of "I don't care, I just want to play with my friends only" need to be dropped. Pronto. We've done things like turning off team-switching for a night, which lead to hysterics from a few people and even caused one or two members to leave TG. I say good riddance. Seriously, how the heck does anyone think they ended up staying at TG in the first place? Most likely by playing in a TG squad. Now people have reached the point where frustration with the game has lead us to where we have no tolerance for anyone slightly new to the game and it leads to exactly what C0pernicus described in his post.

We know new people can be frustrating. Please consider how awful it must be for those players that actually want to learn to play Squad: no tutorials, a ridiculously complicated game that takes hours and hours to really figure out all of the nuances in and a generally hostile or indifferent attitude from most of the experienced players they meet. We can help those people. We just have to take the good with the bad, deal with the morons and soldier on for the betterment of not only the TG community but the overall Squad community as a whole.

There was discussion in Discord earlier this week that, paraphrased, was about controlling your fun in the game. Well, take ownership of that fun and get people out of your squad that are reducing the fun you have. The people that make it a chore to SL and willingly contribute nothing to the squad. There is a big difference between players that want to learn but don't know how and those that just don't give a ****. Get rid of the idiots and mold the ones that want to learn.

It's how people decide they want to stay at TG. It's likely how most of our current group of Squad vets stayed. It's time to pay it forward.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."
                |TG-42nd|Wicks-Today at 4:47 PM

No it was fine mate I'm just an *******

Comment

I just graduated with my Masters last week and just accepted a job offer in Washington, so I've had, a uh, interesting couple of weeks.

But some of my observations:
                  - Lack of dedicated seeders at a reasonable time. EU players are forced to play elsewhere on weeknights.
                  - Many are fatigued of the squad leader role, although, tbh, I don't know why. If people don't follow your orders, report them, kick them from your squad, and focus on the squad mates who do well. I literally tell squads at the start who's going to do what, and I just kick anyone who doesn't respond and selects a marksman kit.
                  - OWI really needs to open up more of the mapping to the community, and push out more maps. Even if they're not perfect, even if there are imbalances - the lack of mapping variety is a stranglehold for this game.

Originally posted by disposableHero View Post

The attitudes of "I don't care, I just want to play with my friends only" need to be dropped. Pronto. We've done things like turning off team-switching for a night, which lead to hysterics from a few people and even caused one or two members to leave TG. I say good riddance. Seriously, how the heck does anyone think they ended up staying at TG in the first place? Most likely by playing in a TG squad. Now people have reached the point where frustration with the game has lead us to where we have no tolerance for anyone slightly new to the game and it leads to exactly what C0pernicus described in his post.
                  Good riddance indeed. I don't think I've EVER swapped teams unless I was just playing with a non-TG friend and needed to get on his team. He's new to squad, so he needs me to be his SL and show him lots of the ropes. Other than that, I've never even looked at the teams when I load in. I stick on the team I'm assigned. Period.
                  Skud
                  Skud Rages at changes to Project Reality

Comment

Generally I just join whatever team has less players. I personally prefer to have a least one or two other TG guys in my squads(when I sometimes lead them) to help heard/coach the randos. My SL'ing is also still very raw, sometimes I get frustrated and need to take a break and just play a rifleman or something along those lines.

I honestly like the idea of no more than 4 TG guys a squad and spreading everyone out on both teams.

Comment

I purposely stopped doing SL cause I hate the direction the game is going. I don't have personal awareness on how the status of the server is cause I have been avoiding squad. I pop in late nights to say what's up to some peeps then leave pretty much. I think your typical pipehitters probably all feel the same way so they are just avoiding and occupying their time with other games.

squad is a game and most important is you yourself enjoying your time playing it. If your enjoyment relies on external factors then you are f*cked already. That is fact. Do not put the blame on others/teamstacking/idiots your not willing to deal with. Before you start the game ask yourself can I enjoy this game for what it is by myself? For me personally, no. Squad has lost the magic right now. That is not to say it wont come back. Compare it to a long term relationship. You have fireworks, stale moments and secret plans to murder each other. It is what it is. But I will not sit here and blame other factors for me not enjoying myself on a game. That is a honest self assessment.

I play with who I want, when I want. That is a fact. Some peeps are paying into this...…...

"There needs to be a mandatory "Learn TG" night at least once or twice a week where we force TG guys to spread out.
                      • No more than 4 TG guys to a squad
                      • No more than 1 TG member to an armored vic
                      • Mandatory TG guys running logi squad
                      • If people aren't interested in this sort of event I don't think they have any business being in TG to play squad."

I understand why you would want to do this but I don't think it would work very well. I see peeps avoid the server during these times or just not following those rules because its a game and we want to roll with our boyz and enjoy ourselves. If im in the mood to help out then yeah its all good. If im not and someone bitches at me for gaming with my own IHS then im gonna have a problem. Im being devils advocate here. You could suggest this and everyone could be all about it and its a big win for TG. but I honestly haven't seen too many of those.

Putting restrictions on your bros when ultimately they are doing nothing wrong is never a good thing...

Now looking at external factors other then squad. broskis its summer time, school is gonna be getting out soon, family time is gonna start up. hell if your a Texan they are already down your neck about football practices. Normal life may also be a contributing factor to the lower numbers on the server besides the late great v13. I think we are 2 or 3 weeks into v13. just like a steam sale it is going to be rough. Do you think maybe yall are being too judgmental with your observations? Once again I haven't been around so I am asking you to ask that of yourselves

Comment

For me,

1) Squad burnout
                        2) Skewl werk - last 16 weeks have utterly crushed me with research work and demanded massive cumulative papers.
                        3) Training OPTEMPO picking up for my dudes that I need to support
                        4) Need to spend more time with family
                        5) Squad burnout - it sometimes just feels like a chore. Other times, I have a blast.. its weird.

I've been trying to hook some new blood for awhile now when I am around, and had a few good dudes express interest in TG. I haven't seen them around in a while though, so... who knows.

Comment

I'm personally waiting for v14 to drop, or for the changes in v13 to be reverted or revised. The game has lost what made it unique in its relentless pursuit of more sales and player retention. Unfortunately, they have dumbed the game down to try and cater to a larger audience. Squad is now more of a casual, generic shooter than ever and I just don't feel like wasting my time playing a game I no longer enjoy. It sucks.

As others have mentioned, there's plenty of other external factors at play, such as: the school semester coming to a close and summer fast approaching, along with the nice(r) weather that accompanies it. People are going to be taking vacations or looking for temporary employment, etc. I'd give it a few more weeks and see what happens.
                          CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

Work and health. Being self employed and having lost a few deals this spring I need to generate some income. Working longer hours. Also trying to get a bit healthier, so trying to go to bed before 2am and be more active during the day. That means almost no time to play during the day and less time at night. Also seems to be helping me avoid divorce court, so there is that. Doesn't have to do with the patch, just that time of year.

Great games tonight.

Comment

Mostly life stuff for me, on the game side there are a few things that negatively impact the experience:

1. Not enough TG guys leading the squads of newer players to help mentor them, matches devolve quickly and one squad with a bunch of TG guys in it isn't enough to tip the balance away from disorganized chaos (more of a TG thing than the game I suppose)
                              2. Movement and stamina changes are annoying me a lot, there's no real reason to stay still, if I line my sights up on someone they're likely to be bobbing around like PUBG making it frustratingly difficult to get an accurate shot on them in combination with the weapon sway (to be clear I like the sway and I wouldn't change it).
                              3. Buddy rally is dumb, promotes poor play
                              4. No insta-death after revive is dumb, promotes poor play

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X